Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #21
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
aceinspp's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 7,281
We plan and make our trips. We go. You just take your chances on the weather. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Berne, Adams County, Indiana
Posts: 51
We've gone with our pop-up no matter what the weather is doing--except snow! Our latest PUP may eliminate that hesitancy, though. It is equipped with heated mattresses, and a gas heater. All of that plus sleeping bags and we could probably be cozy even in a snowstorm. Rain was a problem in our little Skamper--hardly room to turn around, let alone being enough to set up the table and play indoor games. Our FR Flagstaff is much bigger, and for three of us plenty of room to enjoy a rainy day inside, unless we go for a soggy hike under the canopy of trees.

peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 646
I go every time, I have gone in bad weather and it was still a good time. I hunt out of mine too, so those cold, dark and drizzly days are some of the best.
2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #24
LaxRef93's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
The weather forecast never stops us. More of the time, it changes. And even if the forecast doesn't change, you still might not get rained on.

Yes, we've had to set up and break down in the rain, but rain on a camping trip is better than rain at home.

2014 Tracer Ultra Lite 2670BHS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi
Camping Trips 2014 - 3 trips, 7 nights
Camping Trips 2015 - 2 trips, 4 nights
(7 more trips planned)
LaxRef93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #25
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
awellis3's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 622
"Bad weather" in Virginia falls into two categories, in my opinion. Obviously, the aforementioned hurricanes and Nor'easters. Add to that high heat with humidity. DW says if she is going to be trapped inside from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., she'll stay at home in her sewing room.
We have made plans a month out only to reschedule when the forecast was a long stretch of 98 days with overnight lows in the middle 70s and 80% humidity. Ya can't git nekkid enough for that kind of heat.
Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #26
Torch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 92
I've been a bunch of times up to the Sand hills by a reservoir up there,we knew it might be so so and only had to pack in a hurry once to get the heck out of there. Some places the weather is just unpredictable and no it does not stop us since we found a pan that fits under the corner of our STILL LEAKY BEDROOM SLIDE aaaargh!!!!
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #27
Senior Member
MaineCampingFan's Avatar
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 101
Well...yeah, why not?

Originally Posted by larryo View Post
We have a trip planned for the last week of September. It is to our favorite spot and would be our last trip of the season. The long range forecast is for cool, cloudy, rainy weather for the whole week. Would you still go?
Setting aside the inaccuracy of a forecast 30 + days, I would go and have gone in the past. Have the right gear for the time you have to be outside setting up to stay dry and presuming you're not in a tent, should be just fine inside. If it isn't a wind driven rain that's coming sideways.....throw on a fleece, grab a beverage, start a fire and enjoy from underneath the awning.

No idea where you're heading, but here in Maine, the end of September offers some of the best camping weather, foliage, quiet campgrounds, no biting flies. And.....its only snowed once on one of my trips into the western mountains
2015 Freedom Express 246 RKS
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2016: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #28
Rodney & Patty
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Newport, NY
Posts: 53
Yes, a week away is better than a week home. You may have to fill your time with other activities but you can't let mother nature win. September trips can go either way and change in a minute's notice, enjoy what you can of the season.
Working because we have to - camping because we want to.

2015 Salem Hemishere 337 BAR
2014 Ram 3500SRW Laramie 6.7 I6
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #29
DRM796's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 31
Except for hurricanes and extreme weather conditions, we never plan according to the weather forecast, especially 30 days out. They can't even predict the upcoming weekend accuratley. I find the forecast calendars very discouraging. If there is as low as a 30% chance of rain they use a rain / shower icon for the day. What about the other 70%? If you really want to be entertained check that forecast every couple of days and watch how it changes. It will be amazing how much it changes from now until the actual dates.
2012 Wildcat 313RE
2004 Chevy 2500HD 4D longbed
"Best money we ever wasted"
DRM796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #30
Senior Member
vinmaker's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,786
It is important to use your head. I would not go if they were predicting a hurricane or the remnants of one passing through. Camping in the rain is never fun and with high winds can be dangerous with falling limbs and trees.

Cold is nothing. RV's have heat for that. Rain is the biggest problem because being outside in the rain is less than perfect.


2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.