Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you travel with your LP gas on or not?
I (almost) always travel with my LP gas ON. 352 75.21%
I (almost) never travel with my LP gas on. 80 17.09%
I don't think it's a safety concern either way. 61 13.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 468. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

Just wondering how anyone could prove the fire was caused by the camper fridge?
As for a leaking propane tank after an accident, that is why they have the auto-shutoff valves now.
We were on an accident several years ago with our TT. Trailer rolled on its side and was destroyed. Propane tanks and refrigerator were on at the time. When the tanks were found in the wreckage they still had gas in them. The safety valves had worked and shut off the gas when the tanks separated from the trailer. The only way they could have caused a problem was if they ruptured. Then it wouldn't have mattered if they had been on or off.

Today we have a class C. Still travel with gas and refrigerator on.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Seriously, have you EVER heard on the news of someone blowing themselves to smitherines because the LP was on and they were using their refrig on the road? Refueling? Non-issue . . . .
Yes there was a MH burned up on I77 in Virginia a couple of years ago luckly everyone got out the MH was a total loss It was reported to have been a propane leak.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
We run with the propane off because where we live there are numerous tunnels in every direction and you have to stop and be inspected for "gas off".

X2

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #24

I am not knocking any bodies decision to roll with LP gas on. ALL gas line connections are compression fitted. This is a single nut around a flared tube end and tightened around a fitting or connector. IT IS POSSIBLE for these connections to loosen due to vibration. Although it is few and far between, It does happen occasionally. I for one do not travel with LP gas on. I was quite shocked to see the large number of people that travel with LP gas on.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #25
Site Team

We often travel long haul trips. KY to Colorado or southern FL or Utah etc....
Gotta have the fridge on. It won't keep food cold that long!!

As mentioned by others-- the Gasoline in my truck is more dangerous
than the LP in my tanks in a wreck.

By The Way-- THANKS for keeping this debate friendly

People have strong feelings about safety issues but we can all get along
and in some cases, agree to disagree
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #26

I've got to agree......how often are reading about trailer exploding due to a propane line leak. I dragged our pop-up from Ontario to Nova Scotia with the propane fridge running without issue - for two weeks.

I continue to tow our current trailer with the propane on to run the fridge, but, just the fridge, I don't tow with the water heater on propane (if that's even possible)

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #27

My trips are usually within 2 hrs., so I don't worry about the frige getting warm. Maryland tunnels are off limits for vehicles w/propane. I have a trip to Cape Cod & Maine in July, so I will run with the propane ON. My TT dealer, Chesaco RV said to keep the tanks on.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...55-albums.html
NiteNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #28

We were on a (8) week trip last year. The Hi.Temp Records were set all along the Trip.We like COLD drinks and Cool Trailers. I wish we had a Gen.to run while going down the road in these conditions for the AC! Now if it is so (DANGEROUS) to run with the refer on why is there no (Warning Decal) to inform of this from the Factory? The Factory puts (Warning Decals) on everything else! They don't place these for FUN,some Law or Legal Team has made this call! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #29

My Dometic manual for the fridge has a warning to shut off all LP gas appliances when fueling or parked near gasoline pumps. In order to turn it off, it must already be on. So apparently Dometic expects the fridge to be in use on the road.

We have always traveled with the fridge on and OMG, I never bothered to turn it off when fueling the truck either. The night before we go on a trip I go out to the storage lot where our trailer is kept and turn the fridge on. In the morning we load the nice and cold fridge with our food and head out.

Traveling with the fridge turned on is a matter of choice and I'm sure it's much less dangerous than the actual drive to your destination.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
My Dometic manual for the fridge has a warning to shut off all LP gas appliances when fueling or parked near gasoline pumps. In order to turn it off, it must already be on. So apparently Dometic expects the fridge to be in use on the road.

We have always traveled with the fridge on and OMG, I never bothered to turn it off when fueling the truck either. The night before we go on a trip I go out to the storage lot where our trailer is kept and turn the fridge on. In the morning we load the nice and cold fridge with our food and head out.

Traveling with the fridge turned on is a matter of choice and I'm sure it's much less dangerous than the actual drive to your destination.
X2
We also put some freeze bottled water in (freezer and cooler)
and everything is cold. No need to leave the gas on, if that's what you want.
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #31

To me the real issue is, appliance (lp fridge, water heater, etc.) on or off. With these items on there exists the possibility that the spark starter may fire off when, gassing up, while in a tunnel (fume accumulation) and so forth. I think some years ago and possibly still today an actual flame pilot light was the norm and that was not a good thing for the previously mentioned situations for obvious reasons. I'm thinking that when a restriction is mentioned it should say to turn off all gas operated appliances (devices) while refueling, entering tunnels, etc. which in turn disables the ignition source. By saying to turn off your gas supply when gassing up or when entering tunnels, etc. is a catch all to extenguish flame pilots and to keep electronic starter pulses to a minimum. Without an ignition source, no boom.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #32

Umm ya, I'm rolling with the gas on. I have a lot more odds against me than just having the gas on. I won't even state the reasons, they all mostly have been covered. I will say though if your not comfortable doing it then don't. Not sure that one side wins or loses on this discussion . But everyone brings a valid point one way or the other, and I believe this is really what it's all about, to be informed. I myself like threads like this.
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #33

One other thought, better chance of contracting Salmonella poisioning, esp if delayed in your trip, as compared to a direct hit lighting strike. I've used RV's with propane aboard for 20 years and never heard this discussion before.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #34

If it's a short trip, an hour or less, I usually just leave it off out of laziness. If we are going on a long trip, I turn the gas on and keep the fridge cold.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #35

Great thread. Until now, I've always had the LP on so the fridge can cool during our travels. When it comes to the family, I tend to err on the side of caution. I stay within the truck's GVWR for that reason and it now seems logical to turn off the LP during the drive.

We'll probably 'pre-cool' the fridge the night before and use cold packs as mentioned in previous posts. Thanks to all for keeping the discussion level-headed and insightful...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
My Dometic manual for the fridge has a warning to shut off all LP gas appliances when fueling or parked near gasoline pumps.
The manual for my Dometic fridge indicates that the 12v from the TV is to be wired such that it goes off with the ignition key, and that the Refer will turn off when the ignition key goes off and stay off for 5 minutes. (Long enough to refuel I assume). I have not verified that any of this is wired or functions in this way.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #37

I travel with my frig on propane all day long.
When I turn into a gas station and shut off my motorhome it shuts off the gas on the frig and when I start back up and leave it will re-ignite. Some type of safety interlock.
See you all need to sell your trailers and 5th wheels and buy a motorhome to protect yourselves from propane fires.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #38

Just curious. So, how does that work when boondocking?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #39

My first impression is to be a bit horrified at the thought of running with the propane on but the general consensus is that it's safe and I'll take the word of folks around here.

For my camper, I know for a fact that on 12V DC the fridge is more than capable of freezing everything in it after a day's drive. So I run on that (on a lower setting now ) rather than burn propane when I don't need to.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
For my camper, I know for a fact that on 12V DC the fridge is more than capable of freezing everything in it after a day's drive. So I run on that (on a lower setting now ) rather than burn propane when I don't need to.
Most Fridges now are only 2-way (no 12v option).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Decals | A/C Leak »