View Poll Results: Do you travel with your LP gas on or not?
I (almost) always travel with my LP gas ON. 333 76.20%
I (almost) never travel with my LP gas on. 70 16.02%
I don't think it's a safety concern either way. 59 13.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #31

To me the real issue is, appliance (lp fridge, water heater, etc.) on or off. With these items on there exists the possibility that the spark starter may fire off when, gassing up, while in a tunnel (fume accumulation) and so forth. I think some years ago and possibly still today an actual flame pilot light was the norm and that was not a good thing for the previously mentioned situations for obvious reasons. I'm thinking that when a restriction is mentioned it should say to turn off all gas operated appliances (devices) while refueling, entering tunnels, etc. which in turn disables the ignition source. By saying to turn off your gas supply when gassing up or when entering tunnels, etc. is a catch all to extenguish flame pilots and to keep electronic starter pulses to a minimum. Without an ignition source, no boom.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #32

Umm ya, I'm rolling with the gas on. I have a lot more odds against me than just having the gas on. I won't even state the reasons, they all mostly have been covered. I will say though if your not comfortable doing it then don't. Not sure that one side wins or loses on this discussion . But everyone brings a valid point one way or the other, and I believe this is really what it's all about, to be informed. I myself like threads like this.

2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #33

One other thought, better chance of contracting Salmonella poisioning, esp if delayed in your trip, as compared to a direct hit lighting strike. I've used RV's with propane aboard for 20 years and never heard this discussion before.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #34

If it's a short trip, an hour or less, I usually just leave it off out of laziness. If we are going on a long trip, I turn the gas on and keep the fridge cold.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #35

Great thread. Until now, I've always had the LP on so the fridge can cool during our travels. When it comes to the family, I tend to err on the side of caution. I stay within the truck's GVWR for that reason and it now seems logical to turn off the LP during the drive.

We'll probably 'pre-cool' the fridge the night before and use cold packs as mentioned in previous posts. Thanks to all for keeping the discussion level-headed and insightful...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
My Dometic manual for the fridge has a warning to shut off all LP gas appliances when fueling or parked near gasoline pumps.
The manual for my Dometic fridge indicates that the 12v from the TV is to be wired such that it goes off with the ignition key, and that the Refer will turn off when the ignition key goes off and stay off for 5 minutes. (Long enough to refuel I assume). I have not verified that any of this is wired or functions in this way.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #37

I travel with my frig on propane all day long.
When I turn into a gas station and shut off my motorhome it shuts off the gas on the frig and when I start back up and leave it will re-ignite. Some type of safety interlock.
See you all need to sell your trailers and 5th wheels and buy a motorhome to protect yourselves from propane fires.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #38

Just curious. So, how does that work when boondocking?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #39

My first impression is to be a bit horrified at the thought of running with the propane on but the general consensus is that it's safe and I'll take the word of folks around here.

For my camper, I know for a fact that on 12V DC the fridge is more than capable of freezing everything in it after a day's drive. So I run on that (on a lower setting now ) rather than burn propane when I don't need to.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
For my camper, I know for a fact that on 12V DC the fridge is more than capable of freezing everything in it after a day's drive. So I run on that (on a lower setting now ) rather than burn propane when I don't need to.
Most Fridges now are only 2-way (no 12v option).

« Decals | A/C Leak »