Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you travel with your LP gas on or not?
I (almost) always travel with my LP gas ON. 351 75.16%
I (almost) never travel with my LP gas on. 80 17.13%
I don't think it's a safety concern either way. 61 13.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post
This should probably be posted elsewhere, but it falls under this topic...just how much gas is used in the refer running, anyway? Turning things on the night before...does that use much LP?
I'm like the others, don't really know but don't think it's much. My concern with that approach is that you have to turn the battery-disconnect switch to ON, and it'll then be more than the Fridge igniter eating up your battery (which may already be low on charge).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanMan4U View Post
I do not run with ours on propane. A friend of mine did once and the wind kept blowing out the flame. The ignitor was toast before he got home and had to be replaced.
The Dometic fridge in my fifth wheel will only try to ignite three times for approximately 45 seconds, if it fails to light the burner the check light comes on, gas flow stops, and the system will not attempt to ignite the burner again until the on/off button is pushed to off and then back on.

If you think it's dangerous to travel with your fridge on then check your user manual and reading the WARNINGS. If it's unsafe to travel with the fridge on there will be a warning.

It's a matter of personal choice but I don't think it's a safety hazard. When we're traveling on the road for 8 or 10 hours a day in the summer, the fridge can get quite warm in that length of time.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #63
Mod free 5er

Another thing everyone needs to remember is the burner is not running constantly, but will only run a few minutes every 1, 2 or 3 hrs if that much depending on the outside temp.

It's not like you're running down the highway with a blowtorch shooting out the back or side.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #64

I don't think I will run my propane refer when in transport. I will allow it to cool sufficiently the day before transport and unplug before I leave. Then run the propane once I get to my destination. I do not think it is absolutely unsafe to run with the propane fridge on, but since I will be traveling on some unmaintained roads, I think I will wait to turn on the propane until I arrive.
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #65

When travelling we put two packs of Blue Ice in the fridge and leave the propane off. When camping we put the Blue Ice in the freezer so its ready the next day for traveling. We seldom open the fridge while travelling and our food stays cold all day. The freezer also keeps the food frozen all day. This method has work for us, we don't have to be concerned about running with the propane on and our food stays cold.
JimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #66

We cool ours down for a day before we leave, turn it off and go. We pack a cooler ( use it for drinks outside for the kids anyway ).

I tried running with it on once, the pilot blew out while running down the high way and found out when I went to set up at the campground.

Since I travel with my wife and kids, the risk just isn't worth the convenience. The fridge is the first thing I start when setting up and starts to cool down by the time I'm finished setting up.

If you ask my wife I'm overly cautious on everything.

Working in aerospace for decades has taught me to question all possibilities of failure you can think of. Murphy must have been an engineer.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #67

We leave our lp on. I do check when we stop because I have found that it sometimes goes out.
Jimmyjpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #68

A propane tank won`t explode even if its in a fire. Tank will get up to a certain temp and the safety valve will open letting the gas out. Same if you had a overfilled tank in a trunk of a car . gets hot and the safety valve will let the gas out . I`ve even cut propane tank in half with a angle grinder Had a project in mind . Didn`t have any issues .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #69

We have run down the road for 30 years and 5 RVs with the propane and fridge on. In the southwest we really don't have the option to turn off the fridge for travel. We have never had any problems with pilot blowing out or blowing up gas stations. Everybody has different ideas and concerns. If it worries you, don't do it. Happy camping!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
A propane tank won`t explode even if its in a fire. Tank will get up to a certain temp and the safety valve will open letting the gas out. Same if you had a overfilled tank in a trunk of a car . gets hot and the safety valve will let the gas out . I`ve even cut propane tank in half with a angle grinder Had a project in mind . Didn`t have any issues .

I wouldn't say it won't explode. I live about 5 miles from a Blue Rhino propane warehouse in central Florida that had a fire a few years ago and propane tanks were splitting open like tin cans and flying hundreds of yards from where they originated. It was like a fireworks show that lasted for over an hour. It could be seen for miles. That being said I do leave my tanks on and run the fridge while towing. There are trucks on the road that are fueled by propane so what is the difference.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I run the gas on for the frig & the furnace in winter travels. Both have DSI electronic igniters instead of pilot lights so there no pilots going out.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
I wouldn't say it won't explode. I live about 5 miles from a Blue Rhino propane warehouse in central Florida that had a fire a few years ago and propane tanks were splitting open like tin cans and flying hundreds of yards from where they originated. It was like a fireworks show that lasted for over an hour. It could be seen for miles. That being said I do leave my tanks on and run the fridge while towing. There are trucks on the road that are fueled by propane so what is the difference.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
For any rig running on propane the biggest difference is the propane is burned internally.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
I wouldn't say it won't explode. I live about 5 miles from a Blue Rhino propane warehouse in central Florida that had a fire a few years ago and propane tanks were splitting open like tin cans and flying hundreds of yards from where they originated. It was like a fireworks show that lasted for over an hour. It could be seen for miles....
Similar happened here in the Black Forest forest fire. One of the preps for a forest fire evacuation is to move all your propane tanks (except the large household tanks) to the front porch or landing, where firefighters know where to look for them. Propane tanks can and do explode under the right circumstances.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #74

We use a small inverter 12v to 110 which is wired to coach batt. Plug into inverter while driving. Never had a batt problem. My inv is 400 watt.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #75

Since I have a residential refrigerator I do not need to use any propane when pulling the trailer.
On my other two 5er's I di use propane for the refrigerator since they were a dual source unit. But I would shut the propane off if required when entering tunnels as required by law.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #76

Depends on my travel route as Ferries and tunnels require it to be off.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #77

I turn mine off when refilling the LP tank and when I'm going to be in storage for more than a couple weeks.

« Decals | A/C Leak »