Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 04:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I do it all of the time. The slide roofs on my Windjammer are definitely more rigid and stronger than my main roof.

Bruce
^^ Same here.

Stand on them each time we camp in a state park. LOTS of trees and need to sweep them off before closing them

The tops of the slides are MUCH more rigid than the main roof.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #22

Thank you all for your posts.
JeremywFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
I don't take a lawn chair and tea and sit there, but, I have stood on, walked on, crawled on and knelt on my slides, I have owned at least five different brands ver the years, never had an issue.
That actually sounds nice. I'll have to try that sometime. [emoji23][emoji1787]
WFD473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremywFL View Post
I have a 18' Sabre 30rlt with 3 slides. I need to condition the seals around each slide. The top seal is obviously the hardest to reach. Can I stand/sit on the slides so I can reach to get this job done? I'm 200lbs
You sit inside them, what is the difference?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
As Gailforce mentioned,, soak a rag on an extension pole and run it across..
x2
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #26

We have toppers so getting on top not an option. Take 3/4" PVC pipe cut long enough to reach half way across off of ladder. Wrap white cotton cloth balled up at end, tape bottom of rag to PVC. Spray ball of cloth and wipe. Done!
Bill Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD473 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
I don't take a lawn chair and tea and sit there, but, I have stood on, walked on, crawled on and knelt on my slides, I have owned at least five different brands ver the years, never had an issue.

That actually sounds nice. I'll have to try that sometime. [emoji23][emoji1787]
Um, from the emoticons it appears you are joking which is good. However, if i were to get my 175 clumsy lbs up, position even the lightest lawn chair on my roof, the DW would be looking up at four holes with chair legs poking through. My luck? Nope, not pushing it. Take pictures though, please!

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #28

That's too funny. I can actually see it in my mind
RVs are built differently. I've had slide roofs I would never walk on, and some that I walk on of all the time. You will know as soon as you put your weight on them. I will walk on the roof of the smaller slides of my current RV, but only on the edges of the big slide as it has too much give for my liking, and I only weigh 190.

But I am curious. Why treat seals at all? I never have, but have friends who do it religiously. So far (my RV is 7 years old), I see no difference between my untreated seals and their treated one's.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have stood on the outside edges of the top of the slide, but never toward the middle of the inside top (unsupported) of the slide. Don't like the way it feels.

Also, I have never seen the need to condition the slide seals with anything. I have had RVs all my life and my current one is seven years old. We live in the Southwest. No seal problems.

But I suppose it makes folks feel better and gives them something to do
LOL
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
But I am curious. Why treat seals at all? I never have, but have friends who do it religiously. So far (my RV is 7 years old), I see no difference between my untreated seals and their treated one's.
Mostly because it's a fact that rubber tends to deteriorate and dry-rot over time. Especially when exposed to extreme temps and UV rays.

Your anecdotal evidence means you've been pretty lucky, but it doesn't mean that nobody should ever take a little extra time and precaution to extend the life of their seals.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #31

Quote:
That's too funny. I can actually see it in my mind
RVs are built differently. I've had slide roofs I would never walk on, and some that I walk on of all the time. You will know as soon as you put your weight on them. I will walk on the roof of the smaller slides of my current RV, but only on the edges of the big slide as it has too much give for my liking, and I only weigh 190.

LOL "Gump. Why did you put that weapon together so fast? Because you told me to Drill Sargent!" Cause they tell you to lube them with the "changes of the seasons".
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #32

I know a lot of folks use 303 UV Protectant on tires, for example, as do I. But is this the best means of protecting the slide seals? I thought simply applying baby powder was the recommendation?

Love to hear the opinions of those who have used "X" for many years (8-10+) with success?

Thanks in advance for your insights!
Terabytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I recently discovered one of my slide seals has about a three foot split in it straight up and down right where it flips when the slide goes in and out.

5'ver is barely four years old...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #34

The top seals (bulb type, “D” cross section) on all three slides were deteriorating badly when we got our used Sprinter last year. It was about 4years old. I replaced them. These seals are above the wiper seals and only seal when the slides are closed.

Now I use Protect All slideout rubber seal treatment. I got it at ... Camping World. I haven’t used it long enough to know if it is actually doing any good. Amazon has it too.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAILFORCE View Post
When I conditioned mine I only opened them slide about a foot. I then used a ladder to easily reach the seals. When I eventually install toppers I’m not sure what will work. Perhaps a modified mop head on an extension pole.
That's a good idea! But..........you might wanna think twice on those slide toppers. We weren't offered them when we bought, and at the time wish I had been. But after a couple of years looking around, talking to people camping, talking about it on this forum, I'm glad we didn't get them. I guess after a while they start to sag in the middle from the rain, and as mentioned before, hard to get at the seals. Instead of the toppers I bought my wife () one of those cordless WORX blowers and an aluminum ladder, and we just blow it off when ready to move. We have other WORX tools, so have lots of extra batteries. I have always treated my seals twice a year, and always will. They feel as soft and supple now as when we got the RV. Kinda like my wife. And I never stand on my slideouts; never had to.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
That's a good idea! But..........you might wanna think twice on those slide toppers. We weren't offered them when we bought, and at the time wish I had been. But after a couple of years looking around, talking to people camping, talking about it on this forum, I'm glad we didn't get them. I guess after a while they start to sag in the middle from the rain, and as mentioned before, hard to get at the seals. Instead of the toppers I bought my wife () one of those cordless WORX blowers and an aluminum ladder, and we just blow it off when ready to move. We have other WORX tools, so have lots of extra batteries. I have always treated my seals twice a year, and always will. They feel as soft and supple now as when we got the RV. Kinda like my wife. And I never stand on my slideouts; never had to.
I wish I could give my wife that job like you’ve done.
GAILFORCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #37

FYI I cracked a roof on a “walkable” slide out roof. I weigh 230. Will never do that again as it was a PRICEY repair.

For slide seal maintenance I use a dishwashing sponge glass brush with the square sponge fingers on an extension wand. Works like a champ. See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46B73BC4-A854-43D6-AEDA-D9403DE742DA.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	201927  
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide