View Poll Results: Do You Think Hitch Work Should Be A Certified And License Occupation In the RV Indust
Yes 8 33.33%
No 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #1

Do you Think Hitch Work Should Be a Certified And License Occupation In The RV Indus

Do You Think Hitch Work Should Be A Certified And License Occupation In The RV Industry?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Certified Hitch Work

I'm an ASE certified MASTER Technician. Does that make me better? No, I'm human, occasionally mistakes happen, and NO certification is going to change that. In North Carolina anyway, if I work on your brakes, as an example. as a shop or individual, then I'm responsible, certification or not. Same holds true with a hitch install. More certifications doesn't fix the human equation. Some people are always going to be sloppy and half-***** no matter what.

If you want more certification, how about a special license, and you have to take your rig for a driving test? Separate certification for 5th wheel, motor home, trailer under 30 feet, over 30 feet, Gross Combined Weight, pulling a Toad .... and the list goes on. I see more problems with operators than I do with hitch work. Home work... Look up accidents involving towing and see if any were attributed to improperly installed hitch? Also check and see how many were attributed to operator error. Please report back any that you find, and where it's documented anybody???

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
If you want more certification, how about a special license, and you have to take your rig for a driving test? Separate certification for 5th wheel, motor home, trailer under 30 feet, over 30 feet, Gross Combined Weight, pulling a Toad .... and the list goes on. I see more problems with operators than I do with hitch work. Home work... Look up accidents involving towing and see if any were attributed to improperly installed hitch? Also check and see how many were attributed to operator error. Please report back any that you find, and where it's documented anybody???
I have to completely agree here. I would think that over 90% (probably even higher) of accidents are caused by operator error or an unsafely loaded setup rather than the failure of the hitch. Drivers of school busses need special certification but anyone with enough money can go out and buy a 40' motorhome or trailer and drive it home with no experience at all. Classes should be mandatory covering things such as choosing the right tow rig, safe loading, defensive driving, emergency maneuvers, etc. etc. It never ceases to amaze me to see the unsafe RV combinations I see every time we hit the road.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

on the lighter side what kind of certification do i need to pull a toad (sry windrider just couldnt let it go )
Old 11-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Chevy02, no offense taken.

I have been doing my homework, as I seldom ask anyone to do something unless I'm willing to do it myself. I found 2 interesting places so far. A YouTube video that starts with a lot of statistics on towing. Has some useful RV information that we all could use: It's called Mark's RV Garage

Second one is from an organization I didn't know existed, Dangerous Trailers.org. Can find their info here: http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/

Enjoy reading and may we all learn something.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

I voted yes, but conditionally.

1. It is a function of the RV industry and the government is NOT involved.
2. The training is created by, the testing certified by the RV industry, and includes knowledge of all about towing capacities and weight ratings and such.
3. Includes brake controllers and all types of RV hitch systems.
4. Not required by law so that those of us who wish to cut holes in our own equipment may do so. "This is America and it's my truck" and all that.

What this certification would do is enable the dealer/shop to say to the public, "Our technician has been trained and tested to a uniform industry standard. The guy across the street has not, so you should do business with us." And that's what the aforementioned ASE Certification is about, making sure the customer feels safe having his vehicle serviced in a particular shop as apposed to another.

And who knows, it might keep some idiot's shoddy work from killing some people.

So with the above caveats, yeah, might be a good idea.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #7

I voted NO. Certifications create false sense of security for trades that can only be mastered over significant time and the help of a mentor.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I voted yes, but conditionally.

1. It is a function of the RV industry and the government is NOT involved.
2. The training is created by, the testing certified by the RV industry, and includes knowledge of all about towing capacities and weight ratings and such.
3. Includes brake controllers and all types of RV hitch systems.
4. Not required by law so that those of us who wish to cut holes in our own equipment may do so. "This is America and it's my truck" and all that.

What this certification would do is enable the dealer/shop to say to the public, "Our technician has been trained and tested to a uniform industry standard. The guy across the street has not, so you should do business with us." And that's what the aforementioned ASE Certification is about, making sure the customer feels safe having his vehicle serviced in a particular shop as apposed to another.

And who knows, it might keep some idiot's shoddy work from killing some people.

So with the above caveats, yeah, might be a good idea.
I voted Yes and totally agree with Radio. He just saved me all the typing. There's more to mounting a hitch then drilling some holes and bolting the thing in place. I believe someone that has been trained properly and receives certification is going to be able to instruct the buyer better about proper hitch set up etc than someone that has done a few here and there.
I work in the HVAC field where various licenses and certifications are required. Anyone can put pipe dope on a couple pieces of gas pipe and put it together, but knowing the proper codes is what insures that it has been done correctly. This is what ensures the safety of the people. I feel the same principles apply here.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #9

NO

No thats just another fee (TAX) put on the guy thats installing the hitch. In most cases its pretty simple. Most hitches are model spicefic no holes to drill just bolt on app. Too much RED tape is killing this country. Take responcability for your our actions. If you forget to put the lock on your hitch accept it. Don t pass the blame on a poorly constructed or installed hitch. Well thats my 2 cent not that it matters.

More common sense less goverment red tape.