Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Dodged a Bullet (I think)

Last night strong storms rolled through the campground at Rend Lake. By 9:30 the worst was over so my wife and I changed into our bed clothes and relaxed in our recliners to watch some TV. Just after 10:00PM, BAM! We were startled out of our wits with a loud crashing noise. We both literally jumped out of our chairs. CRUD, something large either fell off the trailer or something large fell onto our trailer. I quickly put on my shoes and grabbed a flashlight and went outside.
I thought for sure I was going to see a large tree limb on top of our trailer when I went out the door. My inspection of the fifth wheel from the ground didn’t show anything amiss and no tree limbs were sticking off the side of the trailer. NUTS! I would have to climb the ladder on the back of the trailer in a light drizzle to see if any limbs were just out of sight on the roof. I wasn’t too thrilled climbing the wet ladder. Once on the roof I was shocked that I didn’t see anything. However, the passenger side slideout did have a bunch of tree bark on it. I called down to Joyce to look for any limbs on the ground by the slideout and sure enough, there was a broken limb about six feet long and about two inches in diameter on the ground by the slideout. In the dark I had walk right passed it.
I couldn’t find any damage to either the roof or the slideout during my inspection in the rain. This morning I checked again and still can’t see any damage. I think I dodged a bullet (I hope).
The limb isn’t all that impressive to look at but when it hit the top of the slideout it sounded like an automobile collision.

Here is a picture of the three pieces of the tree limb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624 - Copy.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	35897  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
PPST OGCDG

I am glad every thing is alright and no damage.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
I am glad every thing is alright and no damage.
Totally Ditto. Very lucky near miss...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Thank goodness there was no damage other than to your nerves. We always debate whether to park near a tree for shade or out in the open after loosing our house in Carlisle. Kinda makes you 'gun shy'
Old 07-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

Glad you had no damage...side note:

I was running around an older wooded camp ground one night when I heard that familiar sound, the sound of wood breaking, turned around in time to see a fairly large limb fall on the top of rear fender of a pick up. And this was a nice peaceful afternoon, no wind at all.

My thoughts...wow glad that was not my truck and glad I was not any closer running down the road.
Camper: 2014 Sandpiper 35ROK
Nights Camped in 2012 (truck camper) 16
Nights Camped in 2013 48
Brian and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Thank goodness there was no damage other than to your nerves. We always debate whether to park near a tree for shade or out in the open after loosing our house in Carlisle. Kinda makes you 'gun shy'
Back in our tent camping days I always made a point of not pitching our tent directly under a tree. When we changed over to “camping” in a trailer I quit worrying about it. I may have to pay more attention to the trees around me and the limbs above once again.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #7

Good to hear it was a minor incident.

Was camping this weekend in a Texas state park, sitting in my camp chair enjoying the breeze off the below-level lake and my morning dose of caffeine. Heard the crackle of breaking wood, and saw a large tree branch break off an oak tree. The location had a tenter nearby the day before. It makes a person think with the last few years of drought, and dying trees, that you should do a better inspection before picking a site.
TTforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote