Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
H2oski

Memories, stared as a kid my Dad would take us to the river to swim and fish, oh ya, sleep in a sleeping bag on the bank. As I got older he moved up to a popup, then to a slide in camper on a old f100 pu. Fast forward. After camping with the Army and a many of nights in a G.P. tiny and our boys getting a little bit older about 6 or 7 years old we began tenting it as a family and neve turned back. (Had to pull the boat to the lake with a ford Aerostar van.) Then we moved up to a popup with a F150. Then we moved into a 31 ft tt with a f150. That didn't last long about 2 months then moved up to 2500hd. After about 14000 miles in 5 years we move up to Sabre 31Rets. We will probably move up on tv and 5th wheel in 10 years when we retire. Oh ya my oldest son now tents it with his wife and 2 daughters and they love it. How does it go "MOVE UP OR MOVE OUT". Just creating memories.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #22

I think we all have started with tents .
2000 Coleman Utah pop up with slid
2006 Roo 23b hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #23

We went from primitive desert camping/back packing to a 34' Executive motorhome..had it 10 years and got much use out of it...at one point DH lived full time as a geo-batchelor while waiting out transfer orders to our next home...I moved ahead to get our son settled in school...

The motorhome sat a year and I decided it was time to sell it...then we picked up the 18' Jayco travel trailer...light weight and easy to pull for me and my rig to take to dog shows...spoise meanwhile picked up a little 13' Scamp to take when traveling on the road representing his tattoo business....when my Dad passed away, I inherited his 33' Sportscoach motorhome...DH made it a rolling tattoo studio...I dunno, he already had a gutted out Airstream....eventually we sold Dad's motorhome, my Jayco and the Scamp...

Earlier this year I finally found what I felt comfortable with to take on the road and set up by myself - the FR hard sided pop up trailer! ...and DH uses a pop up truck camper for his fishing excursions without me....this way we can still do things independently as well as together....

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
Site Team

I have a couple of memories from childhood of family tent camping. We always had a good time so I'm not sure why we didn't do it regularly unless it was the time factor with dad working.

In 2006 my brother brought a fifth wheel. After mom passing I took a few trips with my brother & s-i-l but brought along my tent so I could have my space. On the second trip I started thinking how nice having a small trailer of my own but it was only a dream at that point so I continued to tent camp.

Then one day my dream came true and I was the owner of a trailer. I had some challenges and have come a long way from the day I had my PDI. Being in SoCal we can RV year round for the most part. I live for the next camping trip!!

Many RVers do seem to upgrade as time goes on but unless something changes, I don't expect to.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Tent
over the cab Pickup bed camper
Tent
Cozin Eddie 28' tt
Flagstaff bh832ss tt
Current: palomino sabre 5er 32bhok-6
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #26

I have camped since before I can remember. Came from a camping and fishing family.

We have had everything but a MH, but this is the first 5er.
Still have tents and backpacks as well because sometimes the 5er just will not go there!!

Out of all the family activities camping is their fav!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #27

Talking

We started in a tent for three years before the ground got too hard and the rain too messy. Then we bought a used 27ft SunnyBrook w/o slideouts. Kept it for four years and the DW fell in love with a 33ft SunnyB with two slideouts. We started getting out less and less. Now we have a V-Lite 21 WRS w/ a king bed rear slideout and power everything. I am SO glad we downsized. Camping is fun again and setup is easy. So I guess we go against the grain.

forthefunofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #28

First 30 years either a van, or very basic truck pop-up camper, mainly just for sleeping (three boys). Tried pop-up trailers twice, but they only lasted one trip each. 24 foot fith wheel in 2000, 27 foot in 2010. Wished I would have stayed with the 24 foot as getting near the end of camping.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #29

Spent many years trying to get my wife to go camping. She finally agreed and we went and bought a tent. Our 1st night we got invaded by skunks and the wife spent about a half hour standing on the picnic table and me next to my truck ready to jump in. After waiting for them to leave dummy me decided to throw a rock at them. Missed them but did manage to put a hole in the tent. Duct tape to the rescue. Later while in the tent we could hear them scratching around. Thought to myself she will never camp again. Finished the year camping in the tent. The next year bought a pop up and had it about 6 years. Purchased a 28' V- Cross 2 years ago after the addition of our twin boys.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #30

DW and I started tent camping back in early 70's, bought a pop up in 77 which we traded for a trailer in 78 which we sold that fall. Landing my dream job as a park ranger put us into the park on a full time basis so no more desire to camp. Retired as a ranger in 2002. Kind of decided to use motels when traveling. Our son and his wife talked us into a camping trip in tents to Cade's Cove in the Smokeys in Sept of 2011. We fell back in love with camping and bought us a 2012 Flagstaff 25 KS in Feb of this year. Spent 21 nights in it this year. Now DW has decided we need something bigger and has picked out the Flagstaff 27RLSS. I guess I should have bought the second camper first.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
Phat Phrog

I recall tent camping with my dad and sister when I was small......it was not fun for my dad though. After complaining about bugs and Mosquitos we ended up in a hotel that nite. I married, then we tent camped....only I think we were cursed, because every time we went, it poured!!! DH bought a 31ft Coachman -no slides. We owned that for 12 years and had many great trips! It was a great rig. This year we upgraded to the XLR Thunderbolt toyhauler because I had surprised him with a new Harley Davidson Roadking Classic for his birthday and we knew we wanted to take it with us on our trips. I figure we will keep this beauty for a LONG time. Heck if we ever get too old to ride, then I want one of those souped up golf carts!! After that, I would love to settle in a Class A when I am in my 80's!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #32
Broken Toe

I started in a 31 foot class "a". Sold it a bought a PUP. Figured I went a wee too far on the downsizing and sold the PUP for a Roo.

If you concentrate on your 'needs' instead of your 'wants', you will find that downsizing can happen.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote