Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
Wow this thread really hit home we just got done with a 4 week stretch of getting home on Sunday and leaving on Thursday and i am wore out. I think when you add getting a camper ready into your already busy life sometimes it can be very stressful but looking back on the time spent camping man we had fun

lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
One of the reasons we enjoy having a destination trailer. Camping took us part of a week to get ready and a day on the return side to clean and put away.

Ford 2015 F250 Crew Lariat Ultimate 6.7L Diesel 4X4

my_crib_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
We do weekend trips Thursday thru Sunday almost every weekend. I keep a small crate in fridge for hauling cool foods back and forth to camper, butter, eggs milk catsup mustard etc. and keep it stocked. After going to store, I restock cold foods and have a laundry basket for other staples. As others have said, sheets towels go right back in camper. I can be ready for a long weekend quickly, but longer trips require a trip to the store after we get there.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #14
I too start planning about a week out.

I plug the pop up in a few days ahead of time to chill the fridge and then begin gathering wood, chairs, etc. The food we bring is gathered about a week ahead as well is case we need to run to the grocery store to get needed items.

Day before the trip, I place the cargo carrier on the TV and pack linens + clothes and do final checks. Mount tow mirrors etc.

Morning of trip is when we grab the pillows and toiletries. and I hook up the camper.

It definitely takes days to prepare. Camping is a lifestyle. I do not think it is intended to be easy. But we all love the work.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
Site Team
Takes us a few days to get everything ready as well. Mostly because we need to bring the unit home from storage at least a couple days in advance to plug in and turn on the fridge.

It'd be a different story if we could keep it at home.

There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Couple hours at most. Fiver is plugged in and waiting on the drive. Fridge stays stocked with the normals, and we keep or restock the freezer with meat. Clothes get washed and returned to their areas within a day or two of coming home. Most of our trips are weekends, but a couple week or two during the summer. That's why we bought a camper. Too much work loading the tents, coolers, food boxes, clothes, etc, etc. The camper stays stocked like a second home.
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
The use of totes, whether cloth or plastic, limits the number of trips to RV.

Laundry is done immediately upon our return and placed back in RV.
The day after our return we dust, vacuum, mop, wash RV.

I keep seasonings, spices, herbs, etc. in a small plastic basket, purchased from $ store. These items stay in the basket in house pantry, so I just grab the basket and head to RV pantry when ready to leave. (I have a nice pantry in RV...just had to trim edges of baskets to fit.)

Two days before trip DH checks everything on RV.

CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #18
We store ours and bring home a day before. Washing is done after each trip, all bedding towels etc restocked. Much like Aquaman we buy groceries every week, just ad an item of two. The fridge goes on the night before DW stocks and i get home from work and we leave. Clothes are a couple loads and maybe 2 baskets of food, we leave a lot of items in the trailer during the season.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
Takes us about a day to get ready. By that what I mean is several hours the day before travel. The RV was cleaned before hitting the storage lot from the previous trip. Clothes and linens were replaced shortly after washing from the previous trip. The day before trip the truck is serviced tire pressure and torque, same with RV wheels. Dry food items that are stored in plastic bins are put back into the trailer and the fridg is turned on. Fridg items are taken from home the morning of travel. The RV has it's own toiletries, linens and most clothing needed so it's pretty much ready to go at a moments notice. After a good nights sleep its hook up and go.
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
I'm anal about the maintenance items. I'm also of the mindset that I should only have to think about it once..thus I have a checklist organized by t-minus days. For example, t-minus one week, check propane, batteries, go over grocery list (dry goods kept in TT), check lug nuts and suspension parts, etc. Then on say t-1 day, it has listed, fuel truck, verify tire pressures, install hitch, etc. The list is color coded as to critical checks or non critical. Critical being like tire pressures and non critical like verify reading materials. Thus if I have to be in a hurry, I only do the red items.

So, a normal prep is 5-6 hours over a week, quick prep is a few hours in a day.

2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote