Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
I can't blame the wife on this one, I'm the biggest culpert. Never know how much tools I will need. Lol

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #62
NELA

I do not travel light, and *always* bring too many clothes.

On the other time, our last trip out, Sneak didn't bring enough socks.

Me? I probably had 8 extra pairs.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #63
Site Team

Before seasonal site I could be ready in just a few hours. Now Im gone in less then 30 min. with a seasonal site. Fridge/freezer is stocked food, drink and of course beer.

Now if FDW takes care of things it could be a couple of days .

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #64

Can't really say how long always doing things to the camper for the "next time" to make it better or more conveinent or useful but putting in supplies needed for each trip may be one or 2 days now that retired just take as long as we want to.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #65
Site Team

On my trip over Labor Day I was amazed how fast I got ready. I got the truck loaded up in less than 10 minutes, spent about 20 minutes at the grocery store with an tentative list before picking up the TT & heading out.

Within an hour after arriving at the campground I found out that I missed packing my chair, table and a couple of clothes items that would had been nice to have with me. Upon arriving at home I have moved the chair & clothes items to the camping container for the next trip. The container is blocking the hitch so it will be hard to forget.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #66

For us it depends on the length of the trip. We always have the camper loaded with clothes and the fridge loaded cause I've been known to call the wife and tell her to be ready in the morning when I get home from work. But for longer trips we always make sure we have everything we could want. (Because of what the DW brings). And yes most of it never gets used. It gets better the longer you have your rig.

Tim
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #67

We have gotten a lot more streamlined in packing up. Typically for us its really about a 2-5 hour load up and that's a very slow pace because we are dealing with kids. We use the closets for shirts with hangers and the drawers for our clothes. We have dedicated Rubbermaid for the dry food and just toss it on the dinette and fill the pantry when we arrive. I have a soft sided cooler that i use for the fridge stuff. It helps that I have a garage fridge that holds most of the camping items so I clear it out and just fill up the trailer. Trailer checks like Air Pressure and what not are now routine. After changing to the equalizer hitch, i have added an extra step in properly torque the head but no big deal. I normally turn on the fridge the night before departure in the storage lot. We did one trip in the spring where we decided to camp while still eating BKFST at home, and within an hour we were on the road!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #68

For us, it varies. We do grocery shopping weekly and keep the fridge , freezer. and pantry stocked so no extra trips to the stove.
about two days before, I turn on the fridge and load non perishables clothes and other items. Most of our gear stays in the covered truck bed so no loading there. The day before load fridge and freezer, check tires and hitch up. Day of trip, load dogs, get in and go.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #69
Site Team

This is a great thread to read. Thanks for starting it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #70

Takes me more than 2 days to get
Ready

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #71

I keep my camper stocked. Dishes, toiletries, linens, towels, can goods, dog food, etc are always kept in the camper. After A trip I keep a bin near the laundry room and anything that needs to goes back in the camper go in the bin. I keep the pantry of camper stocked. The day we leave,we take the bin, the cooler with the usual refrig stuff, clothes all put in the truck.(if camper is at storage). We stop on the way for perishables so that we only have to handle the food once. Im a single mom with 2 dogs and 3 kids. Being the only adult, this is the easiest and fastest for me. I also make a rule to camp 4 nights at a time. Makes it much more enjoyable!
Nights camped 2015 3
Duramax mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
Part of the fun of camping is improvising. I'm betting you could leave a lot of " neccesities" at home and never really miss them.
I tried that once, she beat me to the truck.......
Old 09-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #73
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I tried that once, she beat me to the truck.......

Ha , now that's funny.

Sent from a high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #74
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax mom View Post
I keep my camper stocked. Dishes, toiletries, linens, towels, can goods, dog food, etc are always kept in the camper. After A trip I keep a bin near the laundry room and anything that needs to goes back in the camper go in the bin. I keep the pantry of camper stocked. The day we leave,we take the bin, the cooler with the usual refrig stuff, clothes all put in the truck.(if camper is at storage). We stop on the way for perishables so that we only have to handle the food once. Im a single mom with 2 dogs and 3 kids. Being the only adult, this is the easiest and fastest for me. I also make a rule to camp 4 nights at a time. Makes it much more enjoyable!
I went "grazing" in our home pantry this weekend and told my husband I'd discovered that "my pantry in the 5er is better stocked than my pantry here at home!"

We keep the all-important "bin" near the back door. Same routine: everything that needs to go back in, goes in there, and any new purchases (which never seem to end....last week's purchases included two miniature mason jar oil lamps...citronella oil that is....and better (fabric instead of plastic) awning tabs for hanging awning lights) go in there too. I'm buying self retracting ratchet straps for the awning poles next. I showed 'em to OC and he beat me to buying some of 'em.

Linens (as stated earlier) get laundered after each trip and go right back in the RV as soon as they come out of the dryer.

We've always known well ahead of time that we'll be camping on such and such weekend, so I don't get in a hurry. I do a bit each day; checking paper goods supply, loading stuff from "the bin", etc.

All mechanical stuff is Sneak's job. He normally does most of that during the week before leaving, with tire pressures, etc. done the night before and again just before heading out. We're fortunate to have shore power and the night before heading out he backs the truck into the back yard and hitches up, then closes the gates to the privacy fence with it hitched and ready to go the next morning. If we're leaving on a Friday evening he drives our little "grocery getter" (Ford Ranger aka "25" aka F250 wanna be) or my Jeep Wrangler to work on Friday.

He and I agree that being OCD is a *good* thing when it comes to RVing.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote