Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #41

It typically takes us a couple of hours to prep. The day before I start precooling the fridge, load in the dry goods, check tires and other mechanical stuff. The day we leave I load the fridge, ice chest, clothes/toiletries and firewood. After that it is hookup and go. Like other folks here we do the laundry when we get back and put it back when done. Since we wash our household bedding and towels at the same time I don't count that as time against the trailer.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #42

When I was single it took me five to seven minutes. When I came home from work on Friday I backed up to the camper. I ran inside, changed into old clothes, back outside and lowered the trailer onto the hitch. I drove to the grocery store and bought steak, potatoes, eggs, bacon, beer and ice and I was on my way.

Now years later with my wife it takes me days.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #43
Alleged curmudgeon

Agreed, on all counts...

it can be a lot...but I have concluded you have to learn to enjoy "the journey", which is so much more than just "camping" and includes all the mundane prep and de-prep, like maintenance, loading, travel, set-up, breaking camp, and unloading.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #44

It used to take the wife and I a few days to pack up everything to go tent camping, and even when we had our pop up trailer, it was a long and arduous procedure. Now that we have our 21 ft Wildwood TT, almost everything is stowed aboard it. We just have to pack clothing and do our grocery (and beer) shopping once we get to the site. It's so well organized that usually we leave after work in the late afternoon to get a head start on all the other campers!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #45

Wow! I'm so impressed by those of you who have it down pat..
We just got back from a 3 day excursion and I think I over packed.. I didnt use half the clothes and we didnt use hardly any of the frozen stuff. Nor did we drink the 4 gallons of water I have stashed away under the seats.
Yep I think I need to pare it down a little. LOL
I think alot of the problem also is that its so stinking hot right now. 100 degrees today. It just makes it all move slower, especially the set up..
But hey we'll get it down pat ,, one of these days,
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
Wow! I'm so impressed by those of you who have it down pat..
We just got back from a 3 day excursion and I think I over packed.. I didnt use half the clothes and we didnt use hardly any of the frozen stuff. Nor did we drink the 4 gallons of water I have stashed away under the seats.
Yep I think I need to pare it down a little. LOL
I think alot of the problem also is that its so stinking hot right now. 100 degrees today. It just makes it all move slower, especially the set up..
But hey we'll get it down pat ,, one of these days,
I used to bring home a lot of stuff too before cutting back on the list. This is part of learning your camping style. I like to snack but not so much while camping.

I camp solo so I only need to worry about myself. Everything from planning to hitching up & towing to setting up camp falls on my shoulders. Even so, other RVers with families have more people 'needs & wants' to work with.

Like Weezer I don't carry heavy items due to medical reasons. I also use a gardening bucket type pail on wheels to carry stuff. Works great for moving the hitch closer to the receiver.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #47

We leave ours on shore power and pack up during the week but it doesn't take that long because a lot of things stay in the 5er and we wash and put the clothes back in. We clean it and put food in and leave the next day. You'll get the process down after a few trips and it'll be easier.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #48

This sounds like we do it. But what you are not telling people is that you have 3 cute little girls to help you haul the stuff to the camper.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #49

3 cute little girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Couple hours at most. Fiver is plugged in and waiting on the drive. Fridge stays stocked with the normals, and we keep or restock the freezer with meat. Clothes get washed and returned to their areas within a day or two of coming home. Most of our trips are weekends, but a couple week or two during the summer. That's why we bought a camper. Too much work loading the tents, coolers, food boxes, clothes, etc, etc. The camper stays stocked like a second home.
You have 3 cute little girls to help haul stuff out to camper
Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #50

For us, it depends on how often we use the RV.

25 years ago we went every weekend during the summer when the boys were small. Wife would make a trip to the grocery store and unload at the camper and at the house. She washed our swim suits and towels and put them back in the camper. Come Friday afternoon we hooked to the boat and were down the road in less than half an hour.

Now days, with the kids gone we take longer trips farther apart. So, every time we get home, we unload a lot of stuff and then have to reload it.

I'd also say keeping your camper at home makes the entire prep effort much less timely.

Lastly, the OP mentioned "wash" in the original post. Now that could take the majority of our time getting ready especially if I have not showered in a couple of weeks. LOL!!!!!

2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote