Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Dogs & Screen doors

We have purchased a new tt.In our old camper the dogs scratched at the screen and the plastic kick plate when they wanted in and out. Any ideas for protecting the screen and the kick plate. The dogs are well trained but there are times when we don't respond quickly enough and the damage is done.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris

2015 Rockwood 2604WS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Shorten the tie out so they can't get to the door.
Problem solved.

Oh btw.
We've trained our dog to ring a bell when she wants out.
She don't dare touch the door.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

There are a number of option from metal screen protectors to Lexan with Velcro for easy on/off.

Depends on how you want it to look and the amount of work you need to do installing.

Some people have even used a baby gate on the inside.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
There are a number of option from metal screen protectors to Lexan with Velcro for easy on/off.

Depends on how you want it to look and the amount of work you need to do installing.

Some people have even used a baby gate on the inside.
Baby gate is our method but it is actually for the 3 year old grandson. It is 3feet from the door between the kitchen counter and the wall next to the stairs. Makes it nice for letting the dogs out one at a time and drying them when it rains we get a little of that here.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

we use this

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43981-Al.../dp/B00BMRRXU0

Protects the screen and re enforces the door in case of Squirrel sighting
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the great suggestions. I bookmarked the Amazon site for the screen protector. The baby gate sounds great too. We don't have our trailer yet, so not sure if it is something we could install. We did have both our labs trained to use a bell to go out. It was a quick study for both, but our younger dog just loved ringing the bell over and over and over. It would be great if we could leave the screen open in the evening. As mentioned squirrel sightings can be a problem. Deer are even more exciting. When bears wander by the dogs pretend they are not interested.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris

2015 Rockwood 2604WS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

With the screen you still can get a breeze through while the plexiglass stops airflow. No big deal if you are plugged in, but if boondocking and its warm out, it may make a difference
Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Sherlock

We had the same issue and always on 4 units now simply have the dealer install a piece of plexi glass inside the screen to keep the dogs from scratching it. By doing this they can still see out which is what they love to do.
norwood12800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

we bring the dog crates ...both dogs preferred to be in their crates when we were inside to stay out of our way & be comfy & then tie outs outside. The dogs are calm when we leave because they are in their own bedrooms (yes it is a pain to load & unload but temporarily down to one dog so have a crate in house & trailer).
We like to leave the door open & sometimes fall asleep that way & every one knows raccoons & dogs are nighttime party buddies ...glad mine love the crate

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
Roger and Paula

We have a foldable pen. We can fold it so as to block the dogs. But we trained the dogs not to come down the steps to the door unless we put the leash on them and called them.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #11

we bought a door grate/protector for our doors. they work great for the dogs and also for the grand kids to keep them from pushing on the screen
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

I tried a piece of plastic lattice over the screen at first,but the pups kept pulling it off I purchased a roll of pet safe screening from H.D.and replaced the original screening on the door.After 2 years our westies have not damaged the new screening.

Phifer 48 in. x 84 in. Black Pet Screen-3004153 - The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerdogs.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	68950  

Tags
door