Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #21
I used a door hinge. Approx. 4"x3". Silicone hinge to door and the other half drops down over door lock and window controls. If dogs are not in the truck, raise the hinge up and holds open w/Velcro dots.

Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I have an uncoded key in the gas door or both vehicles.Ours are to old to have all that keyless code stuff,just a couple uncoded keys work fine. If your not old enough to know what an uncoded key is,its an entrance key for the door that does not have the electronic info burned onto it to start the car. AAA works in a pinch too.We never lock anything anyway so its kinda a non-issue,but stuff can happen.
That reminds me of the combination locking gas cap that I used to have. You could put an extra key and a doller bill inside of it. I gave one to my (ex) husband to use on his vehicle also. He didn't use his, but should have! He was surfing Malibu and hid his keys on the wheel well. Thieves would watch on the bluffs above while the surfers were parking and hiding their keys. My ex standing dripping wet in his wetsuit found his Tahoe stolen and also no clothes!

mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
My wife has two dogs, (one is hers and the other belonged to her mom). The day we picked up our camper from the dealer, we did our PDI and then went to a state park that is only about 12 miles from the dealer. Of course we had to take the two dogs.

When we got to our campsite, I wanted to get out and look everything over before I backed in. I got out of the truck and so did my wife. The dogs were very excited and guess what? Yes, one of the stepped on the door lock button with the engine running. I was less then happy.

I was thinking that even if I call someone to help, we were going to be an hour setting there. But we were very blessed that my wife had left the window open just a little crack. That allowed us to get something down the window and to t he lock button.

I really did not want to bring those dogs back home with us, but I did not want to be sleeping in the garage either.

Now we take an extra key.
AS Rabbit
2016 Wildwood 195BH
2009 Silverado 1500
Asrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #24
I never trusted my dogs ( at that time I had a 100# American Bulldog as well as my current 60# APB dog ) when they were left in the vehicle. You never know what they are thinking, or wanting to conspire against you, out of sheer "going for a ride" excitement. So when I got out of the vehicle the keys came with, unless I leave the engine running. Then I would separate my keys and have the key fob in my possession. Just because!

Those pets are "smart"!
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #25
Every vehicle and our RV has a key hid somewhere on it. I've been locked out more than once by our two chihuahuas.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #26
[QUOTE=5er_tom;1324717]That is why I love the keyless entry on my Ford truck.

2017 Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2016 Rockwood MiniLite 2503S (2015-2016)
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #27

Originally Posted by DDC View Post
The nice thing about on-star on my phone, my doors somehow got locked while I was in Goshen, engine running.
OnStar has saved us several times over the years. Once my wife was in a covered, multi-story, parking garage and it even worked there (OnStar representative was afraid it might not).

Last time it happened, we were parking the trailer at home and both of our sets of keys to truck, car, house... everything and the truck was locked.
Me & the DW
2016 Coachmen Brookstone 334RE Fifth Wheel
2015 Chevy 3500HD Diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #28
Shouldn't tell on one's self, but s-it happens! Sr. moment I guess! Now on with the story. Went to Home Depot last week and when I parked, switched my truck off and pulled my key out a little so the chime wouldn't go off. Phone needed charged so I plugged it in to charge while I was shopping. Wouldn't you know it, before I knew it I got out and hit the door lock (Not once but twice) and shut the door! Took two steps and said "Oh SH**. Had to borrow a phone from an employee and call On-Star. Guess it happens to the best of US! WISH I HAD A DOG TO BLAME IT ON!
USAF Ret. ______________________________________
2015 2500 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax 4X4
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #29
Are you sure the lockout was unintentional? I'm not so sure anymore. After reading this story, I'm not sure I can trust my dogs: Dog stabs owner with knife in Hudson, family in disbelief - 7NEWS Denver
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #30
Onstar is nice, if you have the Onstar app on the phone you can unlock it. However, you need cell phone service with the app or with a phone call. But it would take more than a keypad on the door before I would purchase something with a Blue Oval., but I sure didn't buy my GM products for Onstar either.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote