Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

And that video doesn't check the tow vehicle. Besides, spend $200 to check something that can be done for free? There goes your beer $$$.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #62
Site Team

Please simmer down and try to get along.... (sigh.....)

I see no problem with turning on all lights and hitting the emergency
flashers and doing a walk around.
This shows that all bulbs are working including tail lights.
The only thing not definitely tested is the brake light switch.
THAT can be confirmed by the reflection of the tow vehicle brake lights
reflecting on the front of the trailer as OC suggested.

I'm going back outside! Spring finally showing some promise at my place.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #63
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And that video doesn't check the tow vehicle. Besides, spend $200 to check something that can be done for free? There goes your beer $$$.
Quote:
The cab brake light is less than 4' from the trailer and the light is bright!!!
I thought the OP's question was about checking the lights on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. Is that how you read it or are debating?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #64
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
How many $100.00 plus awning pole kits did you sell to hold awnings down when you can simply roll the awning up for free?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I thought the OP's question was about checking the lights on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. Is that how you read it or are debating?
When checking trailer lights you should also check all the lights on the tow vehicle at the same time. Not debating, just stating a cheap (effort, time & $) way of checking all the lights on both vehicles.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #66
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How many $100.00 plus awning pole kits did you sell to hold awnings down when you can simply roll the awning up for free?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
My own personal set of poles cost less than $25 total as the tubes were 9# of scrap tubing @ $1.50/lb, the alum for the brackets I had and I think the stainless hardware was $6 or $7 and hitch pins I also had. Na, na, na na!

IIRC, yours was pretty cheap too!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #67
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
My own personal set of poles cost less than $25 total as the tubes were 9# of scrap tubing @ $1.50/lb, the alum for the brackets I had and I think the stainless hardware was $6 or $7 and hitch pins I also had. Na, na, na na!

IIRC, yours was pretty cheap too!
The guy that makes said testers probably made his for chump change to with stuff laying around.

But that didn't stop him from charging 199.00 to people whom wanted them or would want them.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #68

Quote:
The cab brake light is less than 4' from the trailer and the light is bright!!!
Maybe I'm stupid but how does that tell you, your breaks lights on the trailer are working? I have to go out and cup my hands in day light to see them depending on the angle of the sun. How do you see the trailer breaks light in a reflection, what am I missing here. Tell me I'll try it, I know of no other way except asking my wife to step on the break during the day....... I think the OP asked about the trailer break lights, either I'm right or wrong?....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #69
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Maybe I'm stupid but how does that tell you, your breaks lights on the trailer are working? I have to go out and cup my hands in day light to see them depending on the angle of the sun. How do you see the trailer breaks light in a reflection, what am I missing here. Tell me I'll try it, I know of no other way except asking my wife to step on the break during the day....... I think the OP asked about the trailer break lights, either I'm right or wrong?....
The 4 way flashers work the same bulb filaments as your brake lights & turn signals. If you have to cup your hands to see if the brake lights are working, you have a lighting problem. I also changed the rear light fixtures with LED's which are brighter. I do the walk around and check the lights as I'm not that lazy.

The brake light on the back of the cab is checked by reflection as are the back up lights.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #70

Well didn't know that I'm not a car junkie, Thanks. Maybe then you can answer this why do my trailer running lights go off after about 100 miles. I have taken it to the dealer they said it is my truck. Paid 100.00 at the truck dealer to check the whole harness, they said it's fine it's the trailer. I gave up and bought a resettable fuse for the trailer lights. But when it happens I have to turn my lights off and back on again to reset it. Then all is fine for another 100 miles appox. This is why I prefer to step on the brake so I can see them light up. I do not need led lights not going to help. I see led lights on new cars with 2 or 3 leds out all the time on a tail light. So I don't mean to highjack this thread but I only trust what I see actually working. Just me, nobody else. If you think it grounding from a staple or something how do you find it. That's why I walk and check each light before I move my trailer. even if I put a screw driver down to hold my pedal down not to bother my wife. here is a question that I do not know, people say to put the 4 way flashers on and look at the reflection. If 1 of the elements was broke in the brake light, wouldn't the reflection of the 4 way from my truck still work but not the trailer brake light still could be out? Just a question don't need all this BS.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light