Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #61
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
And that video doesn't check the tow vehicle. Besides, spend $200 to check something that can be done for free? There goes your beer $$$.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #62
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,720
Please simmer down and try to get along.... (sigh.....)

I see no problem with turning on all lights and hitting the emergency
flashers and doing a walk around.
This shows that all bulbs are working including tail lights.
The only thing not definitely tested is the brake light switch.
THAT can be confirmed by the reflection of the tow vehicle brake lights
reflecting on the front of the trailer as OC suggested.

I'm going back outside! Spring finally showing some promise at my place.
__________________

__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #63
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And that video doesn't check the tow vehicle. Besides, spend $200 to check something that can be done for free? There goes your beer $$$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The cab brake light is less than 4' from the trailer and the light is bright!!!
I thought the OP's question was about checking the lights on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. Is that how you read it or are debating?
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #64
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And that video doesn't check the tow vehicle. Besides, spend $200 to check something that can be done for free? There goes your beer $$$.
How many $100.00 plus awning pole kits did you sell to hold awnings down when you can simply roll the awning up for free?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #65
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I thought the OP's question was about checking the lights on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. Is that how you read it or are debating?
When checking trailer lights you should also check all the lights on the tow vehicle at the same time. Not debating, just stating a cheap (effort, time & $) way of checking all the lights on both vehicles.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #66
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How many $100.00 plus awning pole kits did you sell to hold awnings down when you can simply roll the awning up for free?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
My own personal set of poles cost less than $25 total as the tubes were 9# of scrap tubing @ $1.50/lb, the alum for the brackets I had and I think the stainless hardware was $6 or $7 and hitch pins I also had. Na, na, na na!

IIRC, yours was pretty cheap too!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #67
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My own personal set of poles cost less than $25 total as the tubes were 9# of scrap tubing @ $1.50/lb, the alum for the brackets I had and I think the stainless hardware was $6 or $7 and hitch pins I also had. Na, na, na na!

IIRC, yours was pretty cheap too!
The guy that makes said testers probably made his for chump change to with stuff laying around.

But that didn't stop him from charging 199.00 to people whom wanted them or would want them.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The cab brake light is less than 4' from the trailer and the light is bright!!!
Maybe I'm stupid but how does that tell you, your breaks lights on the trailer are working? I have to go out and cup my hands in day light to see them depending on the angle of the sun. How do you see the trailer breaks light in a reflection, what am I missing here. Tell me I'll try it, I know of no other way except asking my wife to step on the break during the day....... I think the OP asked about the trailer break lights, either I'm right or wrong?....
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #69
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Maybe I'm stupid but how does that tell you, your breaks lights on the trailer are working? I have to go out and cup my hands in day light to see them depending on the angle of the sun. How do you see the trailer breaks light in a reflection, what am I missing here. Tell me I'll try it, I know of no other way except asking my wife to step on the break during the day....... I think the OP asked about the trailer break lights, either I'm right or wrong?....
The 4 way flashers work the same bulb filaments as your brake lights & turn signals. If you have to cup your hands to see if the brake lights are working, you have a lighting problem. I also changed the rear light fixtures with LED's which are brighter. I do the walk around and check the lights as I'm not that lazy.

The brake light on the back of the cab is checked by reflection as are the back up lights.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Well didn't know that I'm not a car junkie, Thanks. Maybe then you can answer this why do my trailer running lights go off after about 100 miles. I have taken it to the dealer they said it is my truck. Paid 100.00 at the truck dealer to check the whole harness, they said it's fine it's the trailer. I gave up and bought a resettable fuse for the trailer lights. But when it happens I have to turn my lights off and back on again to reset it. Then all is fine for another 100 miles appox. This is why I prefer to step on the brake so I can see them light up. I do not need led lights not going to help. I see led lights on new cars with 2 or 3 leds out all the time on a tail light. So I don't mean to highjack this thread but I only trust what I see actually working. Just me, nobody else. If you think it grounding from a staple or something how do you find it. That's why I walk and check each light before I move my trailer. even if I put a screw driver down to hold my pedal down not to bother my wife. here is a question that I do not know, people say to put the 4 way flashers on and look at the reflection. If 1 of the elements was broke in the brake light, wouldn't the reflection of the 4 way from my truck still work but not the trailer brake light still could be out? Just a question don't need all this BS.
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.