Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #21
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Most tow vehicles license plates are hidden by the trailer. I just don't worry about the small stuff. Leave it up to the state inspections and walk arounds occasionally. BTW, I replaced the trailer taillight assys with leds to minimize the burnout bulb problem.
Hope it never happens, but couldn't some guy who rear ends you and then hires a hungry lawyer to say your brake light (s) weren't working and that's the reason he's suing you for his bad back and or neck?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Isn't that what I said in my #6 post?

How come you always got to argue?
I do believe you started in post #6 "...if they work when you check them, that doesn't mean they will work the next time."
Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #23
B47

Quote:
Have several law enforcement friends in Masonic Lodge and they will tell you they can follow any vehicle a couple of miles and pull them over for something or other should they choose to do so. They even say that about their own fellow officers. 99.9999% of them use common sense though.
Once again - see my #6 post.

Once again - how come you always got to argue?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Hope it never happens, but couldn't some guy who rear ends you and then hires a hungry lawyer to say your brake light (s) weren't working and that's the reason he's suing you for his bad back and or neck?
Be kinda hard to prove with the rear end and lights smashed and besides, rear end collisions are usually the fault of the one who rear ends you. So many feet per mph gap between cars?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #25
B47

Quote:
I do believe you started in post #6 "...if they work when you check them, that doesn't mean they will work the next time."
I suggest you change your ID from Old Coot to Ornery Old Coot.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I suggest you change your ID from Old Coot to Ornery Old Coot.
G'nite, you win!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #27
B47

Quote:
Be kinda hard to prove with the rear end and lights smashed and besides, rear end collisions are usually the fault of the one who rear ends you. So many feet per mph gap between cars?
You ever watch Judge Judy or those daytime TV lawyer advertisements?

People will sue for almost any reason these days.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #28
B47

Quote:
G'nite, you win!
OK - so we will see the ID change tomorrow?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #29
Site Team

In the beginning I asked fellow campers if my all of my lights were working. Now I look for the reflection or glow from the brake lights.

TeresaInCAL - Thanks for mentioning the hazard lights!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #30

I Use a 12" x 6" patio brick/block to push down on brake pedal. Then I go check the brake lights. This is the only way you can check your high/3rd brake light all by yourself if you don't have a reflection behind the lights to check with.

And yes cops love using a burnt out bulb to pull you over. Now while you are pulled over, they check you for dwi, proper paperwork, and other issues. I used to do bail bond work in a former life and most people got sent to jail via a small flaw in their vehicle causing the cop to pull them over.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #31
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
I Use a 12" x 6" patio brick/block to push down on brake pedal. Then I go check the brake lights. This is the only way you can check your high/3rd brake light all by yourself if you don't have a reflection behind the lights to check with.

And yes cops love using a burnt out bulb to pull you over. Now while you are pulled over, they check you for dwi, proper paperwork, and other issues. I used to do bail bond work in a former life and most people got sent to jail via a small flaw in their vehicle causing the cop to pull them over.
I use a half empty gallon paint can - same thing.

Been quite a discussion on this thread with some good inputs. Glad I have one person agree with me regarding burnt out bulbs as a reason to pull you over.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:

They might pull you over for a burned out light, but that sure is not a jailable offense in any state.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #33

Back when I was running fleets of school buses, most of the drivers used windshield scrapers wedged between seat and brake pedal to check the brake lights. Newer buses - ICs, specifically, have a single button that activates all of the lights at one time, just for the purpose of checking them.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Back when I was running fleets of school buses, most of the drivers used windshield scrapers wedged between seat and brake pedal to check the brake lights. Newer buses - ICs, specifically, have a single button that activates all of the lights at one time, just for the purpose of checking them.
I was wondering when some company would come up that. Interesting to see the various items people use to depress the brake pedal.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Much easier to turn the lights on and engage the 4 way flashers. Checks all lights on both tv and trailer as I don't carry patio stones or buckets of paint, etc and I check the lights every time before I get on the highway after parking overnight.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #36

Funny how my snow scraper isn't in my truck during the summer months. That patio brick is in my garage. When you turn on the lights and 4 way flashers, it does not activate the high mounted brake light. Got to depress the brake pedal to check that. Checking lights when traveling, I like the back up to a glass window idea to check the reflection of ALL the lights. So for all the creative peeps on here, what method do you use to check your reverse lights?
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Funny how my snow scraper isn't in my truck during the summer months. That patio brick is in my garage. When you turn on the lights and 4 way flashers, it does not activate the high mounted brake light. Got to depress the brake pedal to check that. Checking lights when traveling, I like the back up to a glass window idea to check the reflection of ALL the lights. So for all the creative peeps on here, what method do you use to check your reverse lights?
Step on the brakes, pull gear shift down into reverse, while getting ready to pull out. Checks the high mounted brake light and the back up lights all in one easy step by watching reflections in rearview mirror.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #38
B47

Quote:
I check my reverse lights and all other rear mounted lights off the reflection of something if available ( it's just a habit of mine - you would be surprised how reflective the large front bumper of a big rig tractor is). If I'm due for a reverse light check and nothing reflective is around,I simply start the vehicle,set the emergency brake,put it in reverse and get out and look.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #39

Wow, didn't expect 2 pages so quickly on this.

Thanks for the great tips!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #40

I keep it simple and just use the DW to check lights.
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light