Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Dometic 300 Toilet Replacement Question

So our first 4 or 5 times out all went well. This last trip over the 4th of July the bathroom stunk something awful. It actually even smelled just outside the camper where the tank drain is at when the toilet was flushed. I have since been investigating and found I do have a 300 model toilet and wondered who I need to contact to get it replaced. I'm not sure why the smell was outside the camper also. I came home and flushed the black tank until clear water was coming out of the drain and the next day I stepped in the camper and have since added additional chemicals and left the doors open since it is parked inside. Any insight on how to get my toilet replaced would be greatly appreciated. The camper is a Heritage Glen 263RL.

Thanks, Kent
Kmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmsmith View Post
So our first 4 or 5 times out all went well. This last trip over the 4th of July the bathroom stunk something awful. It actually even smelled just outside the camper where the tank drain is at when the toilet was flushed. I have since been investigating and found I do have a 300 model toilet and wondered who I need to contact to get it replaced. I'm not sure why the smell was outside the camper also. I came home and flushed the black tank until clear water was coming out of the drain and the next day I stepped in the camper and have since added additional chemicals and left the doors open since it is parked inside. Any insight on how to get my toilet replaced would be greatly appreciated. The camper is a Heritage Glen 263RL.

Thanks, Kent
The smell issue can be due to many reasons. Are you using chemicals? You should get a lot of responses here as this is a common subject. I am new to this and will be watching for these responses.

Having said that:
I am going to replace my 300 with an elongated unit for other reasons. I hate having to tuck myself in. I am too big, too old and have a few spendable dollars now.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

I did read that you added chemicals. Just asking if you had been using them prior?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

the smell is likely from your toilet. I had that problem in a 2014 Wildwood. Your dealer should be well aware of the issue with them, and replace it under warranty with an updated model.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I did read that you added chemicals. Just asking if you had been using them prior?
Yes we always you chemicals. Actually as soon as i empty it i add some water and chemical immediately.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Thanks, I did not know if i had to take it to the dealer or if Dometic would send one and just replace it myself...
Old 07-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, I did not know if i had to take it to the dealer or if Dometic would send one and just replace it myself...
wouldn't hurt to try that route first. Would be my preference too. They are easy to replace, and I don't want mine at the dealer unless absolutely necessary.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

You can search YouTube. I have found numerous videos showing the the effort.

Looks simple to me.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
wouldn't hurt to try that route first. Would be my preference too. They are easy to replace, and I don't want mine at the dealer unless absolutely necessary.
Yes it should be the same as a house toilet. Disconnect the water lines, undo the (2 )7/16 nuts at the base, lift off and replace. Its definitly under warranty but just trying to avoid having to be in the shop if they would send to me. Guess I can just contact Dometic tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

I had same problem. Called Dometic and they sent a new updated toilet to my house. easy job just DO NOT TILT the toilet when removing form RV the liquid between the upper and lower half will spill on the floor. That is where the smell is from, the open area on the back side.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

Toilet replacement?

could it be the black tank mound that smells and not the toilet? We went to "How to take care of your Black Tank seminars". We learned so much.
First always start out with at least a gallon of water in your tank BEFORE using it.
Then when doing #2 always fill your bowl with extra water BEFORE flushing. Water is your friend when it comes to your Black Tank.
Of course our BT is closed the whole time until it is full or we are leaving our site.
When we empty, we back flush but we also use a chock to keep toilet bowl open and run the water down the pipe to clean the areas that the back flush doesn't touch.
Then when we are in Tampa FL there is a wonderful man (I can look up his number if anyone wants) who Pressure wash the tank. I was so surprised as to how much more stuff came out of our tank. I would have that done once a year. We have a 2015 38CK and never have we had a smell.
Our first Truck camper had that horrid smell and no matter how many chemicals we used it didn't help. We had the horrible mound. Lesson learned.
However I would always recommend for any man to replace toilet with a high but elongated toilet. Makes life so much easier no matter how small or big you are.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #12

Call Dometic Sanitation at 800-321-9886. They will replace it with a Model 310
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #13
Team Bleu

I had flushing issues when I bought my coach, Dometic replaced it with the 310, much nicer toilet
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

This all was discussed way earlier at this sticky.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Friend was dealing with your same issue. Finally Dometic sent a replacement to his home at the same time the dealer called him in to replace the toilet. So either scenario to replace the 300 is possible, I guess.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #16

I have a 2014 Cherokee Wolfpack that just developed a bad smell in the bathroom. I diagnosed it and found that if you look at the rear of toilet, there is a hole that you can see urine sitting on the rim on the inside. Whew, bad smell. I called dometic and they are sending me a brand new 310 to replace my 300 free of charge. The 310 has a ceramic bowl Instead of a plastic one. It sure is nice the Dometic is standing by their products.
Husqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, replacement