Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Unhappy Dometic Dual Zone Thermostat

In my 2016 Sandpiper there is a Dometic dual zone thermostat that runs 2 A\c units. Zone 1 is the main living area(Kitchen, dining, and living area) and Zone 2 is the bedroom and bath. Zone 2 is currently working and doing a good job for controlling the comfort in the bedroom. Zone 1 is not working at all. In south central Texas it gets very warm during this time of year. When I check the thermostat both set-points are set for 73-degrees F. Checking the inside temp readings the zone 1 is indicating 32 degrees F when it is actually about 94 degrees F ( I did say a typical day in South Central Texas). I think the thermostat believes the inside temp that it is showing in zone 1 and will not come on until it sees an inside temp above 74 degrees. I have tried several things but can not get the Zone 1 A\C unit to work consistently. There must be two different sensors but I cannot find them. Does anyone know where the inside temperature sensors are located? Has anyone else experienced this issue? How hard is it to replace the thermostat with a smart thermostat?
tdazbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #2

Turn off the thermostat and press and hold the zone and mode buttons simultaneously. This will reset your thermostat and usually solves most issues.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

Could be a couple of issues. If re-setting the thermostat doesn't work, then it is likely froze up on the upper unit, or the sensor that goes into the coils of the upper unit has slipped out.

Even when you get that issue resolved, good luck staying cool in the heat. The main AC (zone 1) has been described by most as junk. There are several of us in the Sandpiper sub forum that have resorted to adding a third AC. All good after that!
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Resetting the thermostat did not have any effect. It does not appear to be froze up. I have not found the sensor connection yet but that may be the issue. I noticed today while my wife was doing the laundry and the washer went into the spin cycle the AC started working just fine for a while and then quit. The next time the washer went to spin cycle I was watching and the inside temp reading jumped from 32 degrees to 84 degrees and the AC worked. Now all I have to do is to talk my wife into doing more laundry.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Sounds like it's possibly a loose connection on the internal thermistor inside the thermostat. The second zone uses a remote temp sensor and it's reading correctly.

When the washer goes into spin cycle it could be shaking the thermistor just enough to make contact and then it would start reading correctly for a short time.

If it's still under warranty, you may want to have the dealer look at it. If it's not, or you don't want the hassle of taking it back, you could take it apart and find where the thermistor is connected and look at the connections.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdazbell View Post
Resetting the thermostat did not have any effect. It does not appear to be froze up. I have not found the sensor connection yet but that may be the issue. I noticed today while my wife was doing the laundry and the washer went into the spin cycle the AC started working just fine for a while and then quit. The next time the washer went to spin cycle I was watching and the inside temp reading jumped from 32 degrees to 84 degrees and the AC worked. Now all I have to do is to talk my wife into doing more laundry.
Can't be sure about yours as our RV is an entirely different model (we have a Legacy), but we have the same thermostat. In the bedroom, the sensor is up on the wall by the bathroom door and looks sort of like the microphone that's built into your car for the phone; just a small circle with some very small holes in it. From what you said about it working when your wife runs the washer, I would try to look for the front sensor on one of the walls around the washer/dryer and see if there is a wire that is loose and making contact when it gets shaken by the washer. Just a guess, but that's what I would look for. Good luck.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

I'm sure you've already done this, but having made this mistake myself, are you sure the MODE for zone 1 is set on cool?
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

The Thermostat says that it is in the COOL mode. I have not touch the system and it has worked good all day. I guess it heard me talking bad about it.

Tags
dometic, thermostat