Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #1

Dometic slide topper spring replacement.

Looking to see if anybody has replaced the spring assembley in the Toppers. We have a Coachman Chappell 336TSIK 2017 model. I am replacing the spring assembled in the slide
on the side where the door is. Any help appreciated
tcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Team

It's pretty easy to do, but you need to follow the instructions carefully. It also helps to have a handy helper to assist you.

Do you have a copy of the A&E instructions?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's pretty easy to do, but you need to follow the instructions carefully. It also helps to have a handy helper to assist you.

Do you have a copy of the A&E instructions?
Agreed... not terribly difficult but please understand what you are doing BEFORE disconnecting arms and brackets.

Unless the spring is broken, (and the tension relieved) there can be consequences to removing awning/topper parts while under tension.

I'll also ask... do you have a copy of the directions and/or know the replacement procedure?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

No. No instructions came with it. Only instructions that came with it was for the Lock kit. Instruction would be helpful. Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

No instructions came with the spring.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

Before going on out trip in September we let the slide out and we heard a long bang on the topper. The topper still rolls in and out but i hear what soungs like parts rolling around as the slide topper comes out then back in. Any suggestions as to what that is. I have not taken the end off yet to look inside the roller assembly.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Team

It's most likely the spring has broken on one end.

Here's a link to the repair instructions.

AE_topper.pdf

Keep in mind that the other end will still be under tension, so be careful.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

Thank you for the instruction
Old 11-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #9

Dometic Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorl View Post
Looking to see if anybody has replaced the spring assembley in the Toppers. We have a Coachman Chappell 336TSIK 2017 model. I am replacing the spring assembled in the slide
on the side where the door is. Any help appreciated
Very simple two rivets 3/16 and 13 turns of tension.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #10

I am doing the left side so i turn it cjockwise right. Thanks for the input. Have a good day
Old 11-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #11

Topper Torsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorl View Post
I am doing the left side so i turn it clockwise right. Thanks for the input. Have a good day
Looking like CLOCK you go clock wise to torque the spring. Topper torsion are no more than a venetian blind. 13 turns from the closed position.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
Looking like CLOCK you go clock wise to torque the spring. Topper torsion are no more than a venetian blind. 13 turns from the closed position.
Thank you for the information
TCorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

When I do the install do I take the slide all the way out to do my 13 turns on the spring or do I keep the slide in to do the spring ????
Old 11-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

The best way is with the slide open. Count the number of turns on the roller you will need to add that to the 13 turns. No need to remove. 3/16 drill and 2 3/16 aluminum rivets.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
Site Team

The instructions say to perform the repair with the slide all the way in, so it's 13 turns from retracted.

I'm not saying that Al isn't right, but 13 turns is pretty tight, so I'm not sure I'd want to be adding another 6 to 10 turns to that and trying to hold it while the cotter pins are installed. Since I've never done it like that, I'm not sure how much tighter the spring will be.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #16

Topper

Quote:
The instructions say to perform the repair with the slide all the way in, so it's 13 turns from retracted.

I'm not saying that Al isn't right, but 13 turns is pretty tight, so I'm not sure I'd want to be adding another 6 to 10 turns to that and trying to hold it while the cotter pins are installed. Since I've never done it like that, I'm not sure how much tighter the spring will be.
Head Rambler With the slide all the way closer you can't swing the torsion and apply the torque to the spring. 13 turns is the proper tension on all Dometic toppers. The spring is not that large. I have 40 years doing awnings. Just retired April this year. Have a great day.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Head Rambler With the slide all the way closer you can't swing the torsion and apply the torque to the spring. 13 turns is the proper tension on all Dometic toppers. The spring is not that large. I have 40 years doing awnings. Just retired April this year. Have a great day.
So does the 13 turns INCLUDE the amount of turns necessary for the slide room to go out or are you saying put the slide room out and wind the spring 13 turns (from a starting point of no tension/static load) and call it a day?

I'm with Bama.. the instructions say differently.

I haven't 40 years of awning experience but the several I did were done according to the directions.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Head Rambler With the slide all the way closed you can't swing the torsion and apply the torque to the spring. 13 turns is the proper tension on all Dometic toppers. The spring is not that large. I have 40 years doing awnings. Just retired April this year. Have a great day.
Like 5Picker I don't have 40 years of working on awnings, but I've had a good share of repairing/replacing them since our first RV in 1972.

I can see what you're saying, but I think I'd just run the slide out one turn of the tube and that way I'd only have to turn the spring 14 times. I guess everybody does it differently.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #19

Hey thanks you'll for all the information. I do appreciate it. Will give you an update when we put the spring in. Thanks a lot!!!!
Quote:
Like 5Picker I don't have 40 years of working on awnings, but I've had a good share of repairing/replacing them since our first RV in 1972.

I can see what you're saying, but I think I'd just run the slide out one turn of the tube and that way I'd only have to turn the spring 14 times. I guess everybody does it differently.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #20

Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
So does the 13 turns INCLUDE the amount of turns necessary for the slide room to go out or are you saying put the slide room out and wind the spring 13 turns (from a starting point of no tension/static load) and call it a day?

I'm with Bama.. the instructions say differently.

I haven't 40 years of awning experience but the several I did were done according to the directions.
Depending on how far your room extends you would add 3 to 4 turns.

Tags
replacement, slide