Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Don't forget your EMS, I did

I bought a Progressive EMS on the classifieds here before we ever took our trailer out. Got a great deal here. On our second trip in our new 2104S I apparently pulled the extension cord out and rolled it up but never pulled the EMS which was nicely hidden by the hook up box cover. Didn't notice my mistake until the 3rd trip. So I guess the camp host or next camper got a real nice EMS. Dumb mistake! One more thing to check off when breaking camp.

Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okmechanic View Post
I bought a Progressive EMS on the classifieds here before we ever took our trailer out. Got a great deal here. On our second trip in our new 2104S I apparently pulled the extension cord out and rolled it up but never pulled the EMS which was nicely hidden by the hook up box cover. Didn't notice my mistake until the 3rd trip. So I guess the camp host or next camper got a real nice EMS. Dumb mistake! One more thing to check off when breaking camp.
Yikes... that really sucks 'Okmechanic'... sorry to hear.

I was always afraid of doing that or having it stolen while out enjoying the sights for the day.

So I made it more difficult to forget by locking my surge protection to my power cord via a short length of chain and two pad locks.
Just one more step to take breaking camp.
If we leave for any overnighters I will also lock the power cord to the rv bumper via the same method.

Paranoid ?...maybe...but at least it's a precaution that will stop or slow down a thief.

Islander

Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I’d still call the campground and see if anyone turned it in. I know I would have.

Sorry to hear. There are pros and cons to portable vs hardwired, but this is the biggest reason why I opt for hard-wired.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

Make it a habit to unplug the EMS from shore power prior to unplugging the cable. I lock mine as Islander does as well.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

I left mine at DeSoto State Park last month. I realized I had forgotten to remove it from the pedestal when we were 3 hours down the road. I called the Park Ranger and gave him the combination for the lock on the EMS. He went and retrieved it just as the next camper was arriving.

The ranger then packaged and shipped to my home address. The campground used the credit card info from my reservation to pay for the shipping. The EMS was sent back to me and I was a happy camper.

Next is to work on a solution to not forget the EMS.

2016 Nights Camped = 31
2017 Nights Camped = 59
2018 Nights Camped = 37
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Sorry to hear. There are pros and cons to portable vs hardwired, but this is the biggest reason why I opt for hard-wired.
Same here.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 56; booked = 20
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Iíd still call the campground and see if anyone turned it in. I know I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Same here.
X3. Though the last step of my departure routine is designed for this issue. AFTER I have pulled the trailer out into the road, I get out and take 1 last walk around the campsite with special attention to the water and power pedestal. Last thing I "rescued" was my 4 way water splitter.
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppitiful View Post
I left mine at DeSoto State Park last month. I realized I had forgotten to remove it from the pedestal when we were 3 hours down the road. I called the Park Ranger and gave him the combination for the lock on the EMS. He went and retrieved it just as the next camper was arriving.

The ranger then packaged and shipped to my home address. The campground used the credit card info from my reservation to pay for the shipping. The EMS was sent back to me and I was a happy camper.

Next is to work on a solution to not forget the EMS.
Wow that was nice. I left mine a month ago so it is probably long gone. I did call the campground and they said they would check for me but I don't expect to hear anything. I guess I will start the search for another EMS, maybe the hard wired. Any disadvantages to a hard wired unit?
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Silly question... been trailer camping for 50 years now.. what is a EMS ?
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #10

Electrical management system.... an upgraded surge protector basically
Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection

We have a handle on our power cord, so we lock the power cord to the EMS and lock both to the post.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote