Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Don't forget your EMS, I did

I bought a Progressive EMS on the classifieds here before we ever took our trailer out. Got a great deal here. On our second trip in our new 2104S I apparently pulled the extension cord out and rolled it up but never pulled the EMS which was nicely hidden by the hook up box cover. Didn't notice my mistake until the 3rd trip. So I guess the camp host or next camper got a real nice EMS. Dumb mistake! One more thing to check off when breaking camp.
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okmechanic View Post
I bought a Progressive EMS on the classifieds here before we ever took our trailer out. Got a great deal here. On our second trip in our new 2104S I apparently pulled the extension cord out and rolled it up but never pulled the EMS which was nicely hidden by the hook up box cover. Didn't notice my mistake until the 3rd trip. So I guess the camp host or next camper got a real nice EMS. Dumb mistake! One more thing to check off when breaking camp.
Yikes... that really sucks 'Okmechanic'... sorry to hear.

I was always afraid of doing that or having it stolen while out enjoying the sights for the day.

So I made it more difficult to forget by locking my surge protection to my power cord via a short length of chain and two pad locks.
Just one more step to take breaking camp.
If we leave for any overnighters I will also lock the power cord to the rv bumper via the same method.

Paranoid ?...maybe...but at least it's a precaution that will stop or slow down a thief.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Always Learning

I’d still call the campground and see if anyone turned it in. I know I would have.

Sorry to hear. There are pros and cons to portable vs hardwired, but this is the biggest reason why I opt for hard-wired.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

Make it a habit to unplug the EMS from shore power prior to unplugging the cable. I lock mine as Islander does as well.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

I left mine at DeSoto State Park last month. I realized I had forgotten to remove it from the pedestal when we were 3 hours down the road. I called the Park Ranger and gave him the combination for the lock on the EMS. He went and retrieved it just as the next camper was arriving.

The ranger then packaged and shipped to my home address. The campground used the credit card info from my reservation to pay for the shipping. The EMS was sent back to me and I was a happy camper.

Next is to work on a solution to not forget the EMS.

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch
Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50, 2021 = 61. 2022 = 84, 2023 = 68
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Sorry to hear. There are pros and cons to portable vs hardwired, but this is the biggest reason why I opt for hard-wired.
Same here.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
I’d still call the campground and see if anyone turned it in. I know I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Same here.
X3. Though the last step of my departure routine is designed for this issue. AFTER I have pulled the trailer out into the road, I get out and take 1 last walk around the campsite with special attention to the water and power pedestal. Last thing I "rescued" was my 4 way water splitter.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppitiful View Post
I left mine at DeSoto State Park last month. I realized I had forgotten to remove it from the pedestal when we were 3 hours down the road. I called the Park Ranger and gave him the combination for the lock on the EMS. He went and retrieved it just as the next camper was arriving.

The ranger then packaged and shipped to my home address. The campground used the credit card info from my reservation to pay for the shipping. The EMS was sent back to me and I was a happy camper.

Next is to work on a solution to not forget the EMS.
Wow that was nice. I left mine a month ago so it is probably long gone. I did call the campground and they said they would check for me but I don't expect to hear anything. I guess I will start the search for another EMS, maybe the hard wired. Any disadvantages to a hard wired unit?
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Silly question... been trailer camping for 50 years now.. what is a EMS ?
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #10

Electrical management system.... an upgraded surge protector basically
Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection

We have a handle on our power cord, so we lock the power cord to the EMS and lock both to the post.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

The very last thing to disconnect is the electric. I shut the breaker off, remove protector and put the cable away. Then do my final circle check of everything.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Electrical management system.... an upgraded surge protector basically
Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection

We have a handle on our power cord, so we lock the power cord to the EMS and lock both to the post.
Ok.. thx.. good idea.. will have to get one..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

Left ours in Texas connected to the pedestal. Realized it the next day when we started to set up. Called the campground and luckily it was still where we left it. The host mailed it to us and then we sent him a check. There's a lot of awesome folks out there.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow that was nice. I left mine a month ago so it is probably long gone. I did call the campground and they said they would check for me but I don't expect to hear anything. I guess I will start the search for another EMS, maybe the hard wired. Any disadvantages to a hard wired unit?
The main one I hear - it is harder to move to a new trailer. It can be something of a challenge to find a good spot to install it. I installed mine just before the power distribution box which is under my fridge. Installed the display just inside the main door on the side of the same cabinet. Was a bit of a contortionist job to install while laying on the floor.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #15

I don't have (can't use) an EMS but do use a surge protector. My simple solution to never leave it attached to a pedestal is to disconnect from the pedestal before unplugging the cord from the surge protector. When it's unplugged, it immediately gets put back in he storage compartment before the power cord.

I can't use an EMS because I run medical equipment (not a CPAP) at night and if the EMS cuts power during the night, I'm in serious trouble. I'm also in the process of replacing my MSW inverter with a PSW unit that can run the medical equipment. Once it's installed and I've rewired the AC outlets in the rv, I'll be able to replace the surge protector with an EMS.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Second time I used the EMS, left it on the back bumper. 50 miles down the road thought of it, called the campground, nowhere to be found.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:25 AM   #17

Quote:

Other than the hard-wired version being more expensive- I think- are there any more cons to it besides that? Sounds like the best way to go if not cost prohibitive.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #18
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Yikes... that really sucks 'Okmechanic'... sorry to hear.

I was always afraid of doing that or having it stolen while out enjoying the sights for the day.

So I made it more difficult to forget by locking my surge protection to my power cord via a short length of chain and two pad locks.
Just one more step to take breaking camp.
If we leave for any overnighters I will also lock the power cord to the rv bumper via the same method.

Paranoid ?...maybe...but at least it's a precaution that will stop or slow down a thief.

Islander
Ditto - my exact method too. I've left a few "Y" connectors attached to the water faucet but so far...I always have remembered to unlock/unchain the EMS and power cord and load it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Other than the hard-wired version being more expensive- I think- are there any more cons to it besides that? Sounds like the best way to go if not cost prohibitive.
Are they more expensive? I don't recall. Disadvantage of hard wire is that it is a bit of labor to install, but not difficult if you are comfortable with 120 volt wiring. I found it to be very straightforward. More difficult to take with you if you change travel trailers, but again I found it relatively easy. Some install it with plugs to make removal easier, but I found that overkill. Easier to just uninstall rather than wiring in all of those male and female connectors (plus their expense.) I really like having the interior readout and the bypass switch (which I've never used.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #20

Hard-wired is actually less expensive : http://www.bestconverter.com/RV-Powe...EMS_c_194.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
banda is offline   Reply With Quote