Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #21

Doesn't sound like it's as helpful as double pane windows in a home. Eyes wide open.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #22

Correct not as good a house windows, but still better then what Josh portrays. I love Josh and highly respect his broad knowledge, but he's a little off here. His R values aren't right and when he says you can get a better r value by pulling the shade it clear that he's confusing Conduction (heat moving through the glass system due to a difference in temperature inside to out) vs Radiation (light and heat "shining through") the glass.
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 liter, 4.10, tow rating 12,000, GCWR 19,000, Doorjamb payload: 2108
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #23

One more thing about "thermal windows" they are not measured by R value but by U value. which is the ability of the entire window, glass, framing, air spaces, and glazing spacers to resist the movement of heat.
The lower the U-value, the more effective the window is at insulating. Windows have different components that have different thermal properties (for example, the frame and the glass) that sit side-by-side in parallel instead of in series, so they can’t be simply added together; therefore, U-values have become the industry accepted way of describing the thermal performance of windows. The term “center-of-glass R-value” is used occasionally, which is a valuable part of understanding the performance of a window; however, it’s only a part of the total, and the center of the insulated glass unit is often the best performing part of the window. In other words, center-of-glass R-value may be overly optimistic for the whole window performance so you need to ask for the NFRC3-certified U-value, assuming the parts are added together correctly. So a window with a U-value of 0.5 is the same as a window with an overall R-value of 2.0. Or a window with a U-value of 0.25 is the same as a window with an overall R-value of 4.0. Looking for the certified U-value helps provide assurance that the value characterizes the whole window performance.
Windows will never be as efficient has a wall, physically impossible, but with proper design, construction and materials they are and will be much more efficient than a single pane of glass. For an example Anderson Windows basic windows have a U value of .49 to .51 and if a top of the line Low-E coating is used on the glass it jumps to .24 to .25. So again the value of "thermal windows" in a camper becomes is it worth the cost and weight is in the eyes of the camper.
As I stated earlier the weakness will be the sealant along the IG spacer due to constant movement during transportation.

Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #24

Double Pane glass

Yea they are nice and energy saved, really have not noticed a lot. Coach is warm in winter and cooler in summer but I think the insulation is the main factor. Then after a few years they get foggy inside and need replacement, this is where any savings is shot! Just replaced two of my windows small drivers window and passengers side unit. total 3 pieces of glass, did the removal and reinstall myself to save money. Bill for just the glass in inserting it into the frame was $800+ with the added expense of caulk and misc it hit near the 1K mark. Could have bought 4 - 6 of the standard windows complete for that. But probably would never need them as they don't get foggy!

I am sold "NOT WORTH THE COST".
garyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #25

Why they aren't available on the NITRO anymorre?

Well, I was looking real hard at the NITRO line of trailers for a long time. Thought I wanted the double panes that came with the Extreme Weather Package. However, when I finally got serious about a new rig this year, couldn't find any such thing.

And, was told that "Sure we will build you a trailer with Double Panes, but it will be a 2020 model, $5k more than a 2019, and the windows are another $2K."

The R38 with foil insulation package is now standard, along with BIG AIR upgraded AC ducted, and heat ducted through the floor (helping to heat the underbelly) and the tank heaters are really the only option left for the colder early or late season!

Bottom line, for the added weight minimizing the total cargo weight, the cost, and trouble with them fogging in between the glass, Forest River no longer offers them on the Nitro!

Food for thought, close the blinds, and run a high end dehumidifier that costs under $200! If you have any condensation on windows, you should be dehumidifying anyway!

Still beats hunting out of a slide in with the 1980's jollosy type windows, that I was actually fine with at the time!
Captain Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #26

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided to go without the double pane windows and a lot of your input lead to my decision. Thanks for your help.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #27

Get yourself a roll of Reflectix, cut to a quarter inch bigger than your windows and put inside your window frames on the extreme Hot or Cold days your camping. Works great on skylights too.

If you have some left over, make a custom fit cover using gorilla tape for your cooler and save on ice!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #28

I am still confused. I ordered "Thermopane windows" on my Rockwood Ultra lite 5er. Can anybody tell me what I should of received for that $650 add on?
I have one pane of glass. Thanks
Jimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #29

Windows

I do not think that is correct, my 06 Georgetown has the thermopane glass and it is 2 layers separated by about a 1/4 inch gap and suppose to have an inert gas in the gap.

Very costly to replace when they get fogged up. about 300 to 400 for an average window.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #30

$650 for nothing?

I would talk to the dealer that sold you the trailer and have the explain. this is just one more item that they screw people on. Is this deception on the part of FR or the dealer, not sure, maybe both?

I would demand an explanation!
Captain Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #31

Just a quick noted on Reflectix, used it for years. One problem I was taught in this time is make sure if you use it on a windshield to provide air gaps at top and bottom, if you don not and have a rock chip or defect in the windshield you may find the chip runs all across the glass due to the heat build up between the Reflectix and the glass. Cost me a windshield one time.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer View Post
I am still confused. I ordered "Thermopane windows" on my Rockwood Ultra lite 5er. Can anybody tell me what I should of received for that $650 add on?
I have one pane of glass. Thanks
Just took delivery of a Rockwood Ultra Lite TT with insulated glass and the windows have sticker on them stating insulated window, see pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	1561588945915.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	208326

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #33

Insulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Just took delivery of a Rockwood Ultra Lite TT with insulated glass and the windows have sticker on them stating insulated window, see pic.Attachment 208326
Open the window and feel the thickness of the glass.

If the window is insulated it should be 2 panes of glass separated by an air gap filled with air or some inert gas.

Unless someone has invented something else. Glass by itself is a conductor of heat and to my knowledge always has been.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #34

Thanks, i don't have a sticker but there is a inner piece of glass— so i am good!!!
Thanks again
Jimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window