Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Drilling through fiberglass

Hey all, can anyone offer any suggestions/tips for drilling into the fiberglass on the outside of the trailer. Want to hang a tv mount on the side, just concerned about spider cracking in the fiberglass. Much appreciated for any info.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #2

Start the hole with the drill in reverse and drill Until you get through the first layer. Then switch the drill to forward and slowly drill the hole.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

I drilled my last camper for a TV mount and had no issues. I put a piece of painter tape on the fiberglass to mark the holes and then I drilled a small pilot hole and expanded it slowly. I was worried about the weight of the TV I so drilled through into the back of my pantry and I ran bolts through from the outside and I put a piece of plywood inside and used large washers. May have been over kill but I never any issues with it sagging or pulling loose. Just be careful not to torque the bolts real tight because you can dent the outside. I pinched mine a little but nothing major.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Don't forget to seal the hole to prevent water intrusion. You can use a marine sealant before the screws go in. Like Maxhise said, you may need some backing.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #5

BAD idea! The siding on your RV is maybe a 1/4 inch thick, glued to the studs, and is not designed to support that sort of weight.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Drilling through fiberglass

A lot of trailers have factory mounts outside that allow to take the TV from the living room and hang it outside. I know some forest river model have this. I agree, the walls are pretty thin, no I wouldn't just screw a mount into them but if you can run bolts through inside a cabinet or some place hidden, you can add support behind it . I had a 32" led TV that I hung all the time with no issues.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhise View Post
A lot of trailers have factory mounts outside that allow to take the TV from the living room and hang it outside. I know some forest river model have this. I agree, the walls are pretty thin, no I wouldn't just screw a mount into them but if you can run bolts through inside a cabinet or some place hidden, you can add support behind it . I had a 32" led TV that I hung all the time with no issues.
Our last trailer had the outside tv mount from the factory. Just make sure you hit a stud and as others have said about drilling through the fiberglass and properly sealing it.
If you hit the studs, it should hold it just fine, I just wouldn't try to put a 60" tv out there. LOL

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass