Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

Drivers license written exam. Yield signs at limited access highways.

This is from a post on another forum. I thought it might be of interest here:

Last summer I was towing my 38 foot fiver on an interstate in moderate to light traffic. As was approaching an on ramp I noticed a car attempting to merge onto the interstate. The driver was not looking to see if another vehicle was approaching. I could not change lanes because at the time I was being passed by a string of three cars. I was unsure as what to do. Should I slow down and allow him to pull in front of me or should I maintain my speed and I hope that he would slow down or stop to allow me to go safely by? When it was obvious that he was not going to slow down I applied my brakes hard and he was able to merge on in front of me. I don't think he had any idea I was there or how close he came to having a serious accident. My point is I think something needs to be done about the merge situations on interstates and other limited access highways. There used to be yield signs posted but they have since been all taken down. Why? I think they need to be put back up. People merging onto an interstate still have to yield to oncoming traffic and if unable to safely merge must come to a stop. There are many many people who are not familiar with the rules of the road. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a written drivers exam even if its open book before being able to renew your driver's license. What do you think? Being a former Deputy Sheriff I'm familiar with the laws. But that said, I haven't taken a driver's exam in 54 years. How long has it been for you?

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Dazed & Confused

I agree and here is why, I have a private pilots license. Now anyone on here who has obtained a pilot's license knows what one goes through to obtain and keep active said license. There is a written test with 50 questions and a flight test which includes an oral exam of laws and regulations and the flying portion which lasted almost an hour demonstrating my skill with the aircraft. I am required every two years to have a flight review. During that review anything required to be demonstrated for one's level of pilot certificate is fair game for the instructor to ask you to again demonstrate. I have said many times if people were put through a process to obtain a driver's license similar to the process to obtain a pilot's license, the roads would be much safer.

M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Agree completely w/ M&K Hoffman

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

In our area the DOT is making an effort to help the less adept drivers. They are placing yield signs where the right of way should be obvious. I took this photo about a half mile from my house.

In the other photo, notice the nice new bike lane that they added when they resurfaced the road. Obviously the contract did not include a bike lane over the privately owned railroad tracks. That could be a real surprise for some biker cruising along in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yield to Trains - Good Idea.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	69013   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bike Lane with Bump IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	69014  
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #5

Yielding onto an interstate is a timing process......... But DO NOT STOP on an on ramp that will get you rear ended quickly!!!!!!! Seen it too often... Traffic while on the interstate may have the right of way, but slowing down if need be to allow someone in..... Be courteous !!! I see people on the interstate on ramp speed up to force the person merging onto the shoulder.... Just Wrong !!!!

Saw 3 cars rear end each other because someone would not allow them to merge......... I do not care who has the right of way causing an accident because you have the right of way is just wrong......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

When you need more room to get up to speed to merge, there is the emergency/breakdown lane to assist.

I agree, unless there is no merge room, you shouldn't stop.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

To the OP: NO KIDDING! I get frightened when I see merge lanes coming up, people do not feel they have to slow down, they feel WE must "allow" them in.

I hate being on a merge lane, because of what Oaklevel said.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

I've been in high speed bumper to bumper traffic on interstates and have had jerks swerve from behind me into the merge lane to pass me. I did NOT give those jerks any extra room to merge. Otherwise, I drive conservatively, and try to stay out of the merge lane when in heavy merging traffic.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

You must do what you can to avoid an accident but there are times when it's out of your control. There are three cars that rear ended each other trying to get on the interstate should be on the Three Stooges.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Let me start by saying I grew up and learned to drive in southern California. I was taught to get as close to the highway speed as you could in order to merge smoothly into traffic picking your spot and adjusting speed accordingly. Fast forward a few years and I'm charging down a Massachusetts on ramp getting ready to merge onto a state highway. Now imagine my surprise/shock when I see there at the end off the on-ramp, a stop sign!
Needless to say I ran that sucker!

jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote