Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

Drivers license written exam. Yield signs at limited access highways.

This is from a post on another forum. I thought it might be of interest here:

Last summer I was towing my 38 foot fiver on an interstate in moderate to light traffic. As was approaching an on ramp I noticed a car attempting to merge onto the interstate. The driver was not looking to see if another vehicle was approaching. I could not change lanes because at the time I was being passed by a string of three cars. I was unsure as what to do. Should I slow down and allow him to pull in front of me or should I maintain my speed and I hope that he would slow down or stop to allow me to go safely by? When it was obvious that he was not going to slow down I applied my brakes hard and he was able to merge on in front of me. I don't think he had any idea I was there or how close he came to having a serious accident. My point is I think something needs to be done about the merge situations on interstates and other limited access highways. There used to be yield signs posted but they have since been all taken down. Why? I think they need to be put back up. People merging onto an interstate still have to yield to oncoming traffic and if unable to safely merge must come to a stop. There are many many people who are not familiar with the rules of the road. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a written drivers exam even if its open book before being able to renew your driver's license. What do you think? Being a former Deputy Sheriff I'm familiar with the laws. But that said, I haven't taken a driver's exam in 54 years. How long has it been for you?

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Dazed & Confused

I agree and here is why, I have a private pilots license. Now anyone on here who has obtained a pilot's license knows what one goes through to obtain and keep active said license. There is a written test with 50 questions and a flight test which includes an oral exam of laws and regulations and the flying portion which lasted almost an hour demonstrating my skill with the aircraft. I am required every two years to have a flight review. During that review anything required to be demonstrated for one's level of pilot certificate is fair game for the instructor to ask you to again demonstrate. I have said many times if people were put through a process to obtain a driver's license similar to the process to obtain a pilot's license, the roads would be much safer.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Agree completely w/ M&K Hoffman

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

In our area the DOT is making an effort to help the less adept drivers. They are placing yield signs where the right of way should be obvious. I took this photo about a half mile from my house.

In the other photo, notice the nice new bike lane that they added when they resurfaced the road. Obviously the contract did not include a bike lane over the privately owned railroad tracks. That could be a real surprise for some biker cruising along in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yield to Trains - Good Idea.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	69013   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bike Lane with Bump IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	69014  
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #5

Yielding onto an interstate is a timing process......... But DO NOT STOP on an on ramp that will get you rear ended quickly!!!!!!! Seen it too often... Traffic while on the interstate may have the right of way, but slowing down if need be to allow someone in..... Be courteous !!! I see people on the interstate on ramp speed up to force the person merging onto the shoulder.... Just Wrong !!!!

Saw 3 cars rear end each other because someone would not allow them to merge......... I do not care who has the right of way causing an accident because you have the right of way is just wrong......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

When you need more room to get up to speed to merge, there is the emergency/breakdown lane to assist.

I agree, unless there is no merge room, you shouldn't stop.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

To the OP: NO KIDDING! I get frightened when I see merge lanes coming up, people do not feel they have to slow down, they feel WE must "allow" them in.

I hate being on a merge lane, because of what Oaklevel said.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

I've been in high speed bumper to bumper traffic on interstates and have had jerks swerve from behind me into the merge lane to pass me. I did NOT give those jerks any extra room to merge. Otherwise, I drive conservatively, and try to stay out of the merge lane when in heavy merging traffic.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

You must do what you can to avoid an accident but there are times when it's out of your control. There are three cars that rear ended each other trying to get on the interstate should be on the Three Stooges.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Let me start by saying I grew up and learned to drive in southern California. I was taught to get as close to the highway speed as you could in order to merge smoothly into traffic picking your spot and adjusting speed accordingly. Fast forward a few years and I'm charging down a Massachusetts on ramp getting ready to merge onto a state highway. Now imagine my surprise/shock when I see there at the end off the on-ramp, a stop sign!
Needless to say I ran that sucker!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #11

Drivers license written exam. Yeild signs at limited access highways.

It doesn't matter what the law states. The question you have to ask yourself is "Do I want to avoid an accident"

Edit to add: if everyone drove the way they drive when a state trooper is behind them there would be no accidents.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

Well if you have time to go down and take a test every year you surely have time to let the bastard in. I drove 200 miles every day, getting to and from work, And the worst/most dangerous driver out there were the one that had the right-a-way and would not share it, and were going to use their car to make it so. I never had a problem letting someone in front of me, it was just good safe driving, you just never knew what the a??hole would do. I just did not care, I did not have the energy to waste on other driver, I had a DW at home waiting for me. I do not need to prove anything, to anybody with my car.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #13

I try to always drive defensively and assume merging traffic is going to merge so I try to move to the next lane before traffic is upon me. I don't expect the merging traffic to stop. I believe the law says they need to be up to highway speed when merging. Obviously big rigs cannot dp that so agree, no matter the law, use common sense.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Buckeye;I think your caught up in “the right” and thus missing a safety word (considerate). We all know it’s the law and understandable that oncoming traffic must yield.I do get it.Some do not look when getting on the inner state.Jamming on the brake multiplies the issue. I and most drivers do not want to have their vision blocked by a big ole RV. Some must think “their towing a RV, hello”?Their speed is slower so I’ll just ease on in.I maintain 53-55mph (consider the minimum) and do not intend to jam or slow traffic, rather it’s a mind set to be safe and considerate.Some RV’rs boost about how they travel at 75-85mph.I just call it a statistic waiting to happen.
M&K;A thread on this forum stated a member was having a hard time finding insurance do to his age.I guess we should just take away his driving privileges all together.We won’t have to worry about his insurance.Although I’m sure our license will triple I cost due to the new laws that you suggest.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #15

Here in Michigan if there is NO YIELD SIGN then it's up to the drivers to figure it out. My son in law almost got a ticket because he would NOT allow a merging car in front of him. The State Trooper said both vehicles have equal access to the lane. Go figure?????

Of course hauling a trailer I don't challenge others. it's not worth an accident.
Now give me a bog 5 ton Army truck - different story
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

Just Ease Off The Pedal

When in the slow lane and seeing traffic attempting to merge onto highway I just let off the pedal a ways back coasting upon them. Usually gives time for them and provides time to make decisions. It is the forecasting part of defensive driving. I do the same when driving an emergency vehicle. Even with lights and sirens I approach traffic leaving a distance in order to not frighten other drivers into panic reactions further causing accidents. I see drivers doing one of two things. Either hard on the pedal or hard on the brakes, few know how to just let off the pedal early and coasting to a slower speed, requires forecasting and knowing your rig.
kbroadnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #17

Owned and drove 1982 Cadillac hearse the last nine years of work and used it for hauling band equipment when I played in a trio. 90% of the time day or night was given the right of way and a wide berth. Vanity plates read DRT NAP.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #18

Knowing the rules of the road is one thing but knowing how to be considerate and how to drive is another. No test can ever equal experience.

Personally if I am entering an on ramp with several other cars I drop back a little as they merge I pick my spot get up to highway speed & come into the lane. But often if the line is merging & the first car stops look out the others are swerving to miss it as they merge into traffic. Happens often...... like I said before DO NOT stop on an on ramp....... Someone's going to get hurt !!!!!!!

I had always thought if they was no yield sign it was kind of a 50 / 50 thing.......

As I get older & see more & more of life (or death) I don't let the little things bother me I just sit back & watch the show..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Yielding onto an interstate is a timing process......... But DO NOT STOP on an on ramp that will get you rear ended quickly!!!!!!! Seen it too often... Traffic while on the interstate may have the right of way, but slowing down if need be to allow someone in..... Be courteous !!! I see people on the interstate on ramp speed up to force the person merging onto the shoulder.... Just Wrong !!!!

Saw 3 cars rear end each other because someone would not allow them to merge......... I do not care who has the right of way causing an accident because you have the right of way is just wrong......

That's funny in our area they actually put stop lights at the bottom of the on ramps and two lanes. Good luck getting a big rig or heavier load up to hwy speed before merging.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #20

one of the most enjoyable towing I do is on and off ramps, I love to switch to position 5 and hammer it, nothing like 530HP at the wheels and 12k trailer getting to 80 from 65 if needed or 25-70 or more while merging with traffic and looking over at the others and they just cant believe that thing accelerated that fast. wife yells at me for doing that but it is fun...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote