Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

I had a 38' delivered from CA to FL, because it came with many things wrong and needed repairs, it ended up in a repair facility for longer then I had expected. I already had paid for a campground spot up North and was late getting off. The time I had thought I would have to practice driving the motorhome and then practice while also towing was gone!
I quickly packed, hooked up the Jeep and left. No practice!
I also took the wrorse route the first trip! I was going to New England from Florida and went up 95. Through Washington DC, NY, over the George Washington Bridge, New Haven Ct!
I was traveling alone! The only saving salvation I thought was that when I was in the Army once a year to get my license renewed I had to drive large vehicles!
You can do it! I would suggest (even if it is a little longer in distance) taking more scenic routes. I try to avoid large metropolitan areas, when not possible I try to time never being in those areas during rush hour.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

Driving Class A vs Class C

I would advise you drive both classes and see which one you are most comfortable with.

I have driven both. 34 ft Class A Hurricane. I did not feel comfortable with it. Just too big.

I bought a Sunseeker 3010 DS 32 ft Class C which drives much like a pick up truck, you are much lower to the road which I found a lot less stress full to drive.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #13

I'm new to driving a MH and find the more I drive it, the more comfortable I become. A friend of mine who has a TT told me to go slow, pay attention and not to worry about who is behind you. To me, the not worrying about who is behind me was a bit of an issue. The more you drive, the more natural it will become. Around here there are lots of narrow roads and I accidentally had the front passenger wheel go off the pavement. Not saying that will happen to you, but if it does, don't jerk the wheel, just use short easy corrective moves to get back where you should be. I'm a beginner, and thought my little experiences might help you. If I can drive a MH, anyone can. The pro's here have my permission to chuckle!

I'm planning on taking MH to a big local mall area that isn't doing well (no traffic to speak of) and just drive the outer parking area around and around. When I bought the MH the dealer drove to an area where there was no traffic and then let me drive. It was surprisingly easy and that driver's seat is made for comfort! I drove back to the dealership after taking a short drive on the highway so I could see how that went and I stayed in the left lane the whole time. There's no need to be changing lanes a lot with a MH! After coming off the highway, by a twist of fate, there was a big police chase involving every police car in Florida I think....chasing a vehicle that I later learned was a carjacking. That was fun while being in a huge (to me) MH! Next time back at the dealer I became famous as being the new MH driver involved in a police chase.

Good luck and have fun with your MH. I got mine after just having a really strong desire to get out there and see the country. I'm retired with no time demands on me and feel very fortunate to be able to have my RV.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
We've been shopping for smaller Class C's due to the fear I have of the mpg ratings. If we commit to the larger mh's is it normal these days to expect no more than 10 or 7 mpg (towing)?
One of the sellers we have spoken to is selling their 2500TS exactly for more space.

With my current coach, a 40 foot diesel pusher, I am getting between 9.5 and 11.5 mpg. Have gotten better than 10.5 mpg towing an equinox (speed, landscape and wind dependent). I try to keep speeds about 65 mph, so mileage should be better with slower speeds. When I had my class c, based on an F450 chassis, the average was between 7 and 7.5 mpg at about the same speeds.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #15

Thank you, Gasman94. I will start paying more attention to the diesels. My wife is the one that is intimidated by the larger sises. Hopefully, we both can learn to drive one.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

We have a 40' diesel pusher and absolutely love it. As we tow our Grand Cherokee behind it, you really need to make sure you are aware of what is both behind and on either side of you before making a turn. We bought our unit at Lazy Days in Seffner, FL which is just outside of Tampa - they offer a driving school and you actually drive a MH around their campground after your "in class" training. Everyone that has taken this class raves about it. Personally, I'm not interested in driving our coach (although I did back it into our driveway and onto it's parking pad with no issues) on the open road. If something ever happened to DH (heavens forbid), and once he was stabilized, I have no doubts I could get it out of the campground spot and into a parking lot where I would call either of my brothers (one has a coach & the other a TT and a CDL license) & have them come get the coach & drive it home. Something else to keep in mind - this probably won't be your "only coach" - it will be your first and you'll find things you wish it had. Our first was a 35' gasser but once we saw our current one - we just had to trade up.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #17

Another issue I had in choosing a class C, is my wife is in a wheel chair and I could not find a motorhome with a door wide enough to accommodate a wheel chair.
You can have the door modified but it is very expensive and there is appreciated value to the coach when we sell or upgrade.
With our class C, I can lift her into the passenger seat of the vehicle, and then from there into her wheel chair inside the vehicle.
Regarding Diesel vs gas, If you intend on putting a lot of miles on the RV, Diesel is probably the way to go, however if your trips are short, the premium you pay for a diesel powered vehicle, between 4 - 10K is too much, there will be no payback.
Also a East West bed makes it easy for me to put her into the bed.
2012 SunSeeker 1030 DS
Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #18

Piece of cake. I'd recommend diesel if you plan on driving anything steeper than a speed bump.

Just familiarize yourself with air brakes (if it has them). That's probably the single biggest problem people have in new / big motor homes. You can't just start the motor and take off, you need an understanding on how air brakes functions.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxhise View Post
Piece of cake. I'd recommend diesel if you plan on driving anything steeper than a speed bump.

Just familiarize yourself with air brakes (if it has them). That's probably the single biggest problem people have in new / big motor homes. You can't just start the motor and take off, you need an understanding on how air brakes functions.

Good point Maxhise. But once you figure them out and are comfortable with them, you'll never want to go back.

Rich
Old 06-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #20

Thoughts from 8+ years of full timing in a Class A: You are sitting at the very front -- easier to drive than a Class C. Watch the "swing" when you turn away from something you are close to, i.e. a gas pump. (Rear end swing) Don't ask how I know! I try to be about three feet from the pumps. If I block the next lane for a bit, I figure my 50+ gallon purchase will offset it! And, if you are towing a cor, remember you cannot back up -- you must disconnect first. Try to find a station that is pretty straight in and lots of room to get out. Flying J stations often have RV lanes. And yes, you can expect about 7 MPG most of the time.

Doxies Penny & Lucy
Located Western States
ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, motorhome