Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #1

Driving into the wind

We just got back from our Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta State Park in Texas (I highly recommend this park).

On the trip home, I was driving for the most part into 25 - 35 mph head and cross winds.

By the time I dropped of the trailer I was exhausted and looking at an average of 6 mpg.

Any tips or advice to help with driving into strong winds?

Thanks,

Randy from Texas
TV - 2014 Chevy Silverado
TT - 2014 Palomino Puma 28DSBS
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #2

Yeah, dont!!!..lol

But seriously, there is no "trick"...even the most well adjusted trailer cannot hide from wind resistance.

Ive seen some of my lowest mpg going into winds(40-50mph). ..8-9 mpg stuck in 5th gear.....

West texas winds are bad...and common...

If you really wanna check your sway setup Cruise through wyoming!! Lol..

Only trick I know is slow down or dont drive...lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Also if you see a (Wind Farm) area they place them there for a reason! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #4

I agree with ironj. About the only thing you can do is find a place to wait it out or slow down. This past summer I hit some strong winds cutting across Wyoming into Montana (so bad that DW was very scared) and all I could do was slow to between 35-40mph until getting thru it. Lucky for us it was brief or I would have pulled off and waited it out.
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel a couple of years ago with a strong head wind. Usually on level ground, my truck pulls the trailer great in OD with the torque converter locked. That day, my truck would not pull the trailer without unlocking the torque converter. I locked out OD so the truck would pull in 3rd with the torque converter locked. The wind makes a huge difference.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

That's part of the difference of TT vs 5er. Last summer I left Lake Geneva, Wi. heading a strong head wind and the only thing I noticed was the fuel mileage. I was cruising 65-70mph without much of any swaying.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Fuel economy (whether in an aircraft or a ground vehicle) is a function of negative forces being counteracted by positive ones.

In an aircraft, gravity must be countered by lift and forward drag countered by engine power (thrust). Thrust in excess of drag results in forward speed.

In a ground vehicle, gravity (weight) and its derivative (rolling friction - inherent drag) must be countered by a small amount of engine power and is required to keep the vehicle capable of moving forward.

The BIG demand on engine power is wind drag and desired forward speed.
Drag in the horizontal plane is a function of surface area being moved and the speed at which it is being moved. You experienced this as a child when you put your hand in the wind while your dad was driving. With your hand in a knife edge, there is little force on your hand and little effort is required to keep it straight out. Turning your hand towards the vertical (increasing the surface area exposed to the wind) caused your hand to fly back (and up - lift).

Wind in a moving vehicle is made up of two parts. The speed of the vehicle over the ground PLUS or MINUS the speed of the wind around it.

A vehicle with the SAME cross section in a no wind condition and a contant speed of (say) 60 MPH, has an inherent drag of a certain amount (we will call that drag "X" just to put a name to it).

That speed, still air drag, and surface area will require a fixed amount of engine power (and the fuel needed to keep that engine speed). That will be your best fuel economy for 60 MPH.

However is the wind is moving, that movement will effect the drag on the vehicle. If the wind is in your face (like your dad driving faster), the force on your vehicle will increase rapidly and require a significant increase in engine output to maintain that 60 MPH. Conversely, a tailwind (wind pushing on that surface area) will reduce drag (like your dad slowing down making it easier to hold your hand vertically) and significantly reduce the engine power required to hold 60 MPH.

For those who want the math, see the link here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)) however what you need to know is that drag is VELOCITY dependent as an exponent. Doubling your speed increases your drag by a factor of EIGHT. Tripling your speed increases drag by a factor of TWENTY SEVEN.

FROM WIKI:

Power[edit]

The power required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is given by:

Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power.

So, as in an aircraft, when traveling into a headwind, reduce your speed by the same amount as the headwind component to maintain your no wind fuel economy. Any speed above that "bug speed" will require an increase of engine power and a corresponding decrease in fuel economy.

Just remember that "CUBE" of the velocity increase from every MPH above "Bug speed."

With a tailwind, you will see a huge increase in fuel economy because the drag reduced will also be effected by the CUBE of the tailwind component.
Many of the seemingly unrealistic MPG claims can be laid at the feet of a particlarly good day with a particularly good tailwind.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Damn Herk I will have to make a copy of this Info so the Next time I (FLY) my RV! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

In other words my fuel mileage doing 70 mph into a 30 mph headwind goes down the toilet vs 60 mph with 20 mph tailwind. Correct?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Explorer

I often watch the winds while traveling, camping and watching weather reports. Many times the winds are semi predictable, meaning consistently wind is stronger at one time of the day more than others. I have incorporated this guess-work into my travel times when I can; use the tailwinds when I can and sneak by those head winds and crosswinds.
None of this works to often, mostly I just want to get where I want to get but I do watch, do it when I can or think it matters and smile when it works-out.
Maybe I just have to much time on my hands
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
In other words my fuel mileage doing 70 mph into a 30 mph headwind goes down the toilet vs 60 mph with 20 mph tailwind. Correct?? Lol

Doing 70 with a 30 MPH headwind will require the same engine output as driving 100 MPH with the same camper and load weight.

Driving 60 with a 20 MPH tailwind will require the same engine output as if you were driving 40 MPH.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Site Team

Herk

Now I have to find a way to mount my slide rule to the dash of my TV for windy days.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Also if you see a (Wind Farm) area they place them there for a reason! Youroo!!
Yeah, to waste money, our money!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Herk

Now I have to find a way to mount my slide rule to the dash of my TV for windy days.
Heck, you just need a Wiz-Wheel...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6b-front.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	66956   Click image for larger version

Name:	StudentE6BFlightComputer.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	66957  
Old 11-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Heck, you just need a Wiz-Wheel...
I bet there is an app for that....

https://www.google.com/#q=whiz+wheel+app

Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
WFD

Tailwind???? What's that??? Don't know about you guys, but seems every time I hook up to the trailer the wind picks up and always changes direction to give me a head or side wind.. Last time out we had a strong south wind, head wind for where we were headed...blew like that all weekend then sunday night the wind shifted to blow from the north and give us the same head wind all the way home.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Tailwind???? What's that??? Don't know about you guys, but seems every time I hook up to the trailer the wind picks up and always changes direction to give me a head or side wind.. Last time out we had a strong south wind, head wind for where we were headed...blew like that all weekend then sunday night the wind shifted to blow from the north and give us the same head wind all the way home.

Probably had to go up hill both ways too 😃

meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #18

At least it's doable. Besides a trailer I also have a boat. It sucks even worse when I take time off to fish and we end up with a wind for all my days off. The Great Lake will easy kick up 4 5 and 6 foot waves. It can become dangerous fast if you fish deep. At least with the trailer you can pull over or take your time. We got caught coming home from the northwest just ahead of all the flooding in Saskatchewan Manitoba the Dakotas and Minnesota. We rode the front for 2000 miles and at least a 25 mph headwind all the way. I was upset the first day and tired but by the second day I realized I had to either sit it out or if we wanted to get home stop looking at the gas mileage put the pedal down and get home. We had to keep the speed down to 50 to 60 mph and only got about 6 mph. I can get 12 on a good interstate with no wind. We got some luck the third day of the trip home and had no wind. Gas mileage came back up and after 2 days of wind it now felt like a drive in the park and I had to check if the trailer was really still behind us.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #19

I'm reminded of the guy who asked what time it was and was told how to make a clock.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #20

Too bad I cant utilize a head wind for lift with my camper.....soaring like an eagle for a few hours would be cool...

On another note, the weather data on my trucks nav screen will give me wind speed and direction....pretty handy info when towing ......

Oh...and dont lift your truck 6" and the add 35" 13" wide tires on (rolling resistance) if you plan on any modicum of air "svelteness"...heck the ranch hand bumper i had on for exactly a week dropped my mpg 2-3 in the city !!...a 8000lb brick just aint too aero-dynamical....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote