Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you normally travel with the propane cylinders-
Open 160 78.43%
Closed 44 21.57%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #41

Leave it ion uses little gas and never a problem

[QUOTE=vega1247;1448133]Newbie here, bought our first TT, Flagstaff Mirco Mini 21DS. Fridge manufacturer recommends turning off all gas appliances before fueling. 21DS with slide in makes it difficult to reach fridge, would probably have to move slide in an out to access fridge. I'd hate to drive to our destination with fridge off an have contents spoil. Planning on driving 6-8 hours at the most in a day. What's the common practice?

Leave it open not an issue
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #42

I stand corrected DSI,,, not pilot light. Hard to break old terminology. My Bad.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #43

My mistake The control is in the connection to the valve (ie the pigtail). A sudden high flow will cause it to close. I am told this is why my Wildcat came with a 16 lb regulator so as to avoid shutdown when auto switchover of tanks. Of course over riding any safety feature can cause problems.
cheewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #44

Propane, on or off

Short distance? The fridge acts like a cooler, keep the doors shut. Long distance, If you are worried about leaving the propane on, put frozen packs in the fridge and they will work, once again, like a cooler.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #45
Site Team

I've always run with one tank open. Three RVs, never a problem. As I understand it, the modern regulators will shut off gas flow if the flow is too fast as in a broken line or loose connection.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #46
(Dry Huunday)

Tanks open, fridge on. If I am going thru a tunnel where I have to shut them off then I will and then open/turn on fridge after I traverse it.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #47

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Here's a thought...if you're traveling only an hour or three (this covers the vast majority of RV trips for most people)...turn it off in the name of fire safety. If you're traveling 9 hours in 100 plus degree weather...leave it on for that trip, in the name of food safety (and frosty beverages upon arrival!).

So far I have always left mine on.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #48
World Wide Wanderer

Let's see... ~40# LP, 25 gallons, of gasoline, a battery, hot engine, incompetent cellphone impaired drivers... I will take my chances with the LP on.

I do turn it off when refueling, though my fridge is on the off side and the flame, when lit, is 5'+ in the air, highly unlikely to start any fires.

I have seen vehicle fires caused by blown batteries, ruptured fuel lines, electrical shorts, static electricity, brakes, tires...

There are more BTU's in a tank of gasoline than in 40# of LP...Also there are quite a few LP powered vehicles on the roads.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #49

We have traveled since 1970 with tanks open, except where restricted, i.e., tunnels. etc. No problems.

Welcome to wonderful world of RVing.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #50

Cannot drive thru all///some tunnels with propane tanks.........BUT big 18 wheelers hauling fuel are OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #51

Your guardian angel was with you that day😉
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
As I understand it, the modern regulators will shut off gas flow if the flow is too fast as in a broken line or loose connection.
We can always hope so Dave, however it doesn't seem like it was the case a few weeks ago over on I-20 in Texas....but this sounds like a motorhome propane cylinder.

http://www.bigspringherald.com/conte...kle-five-fires

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #53
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Out of all the tunnels in the US you can most likely count the ones with propane restrictions on both hands. Lots of tunnels here in SW PA and on the PA pike, no restrictions whatsoever.

Actually, Bette supposed to be off for the PA turnpike tunnels. I have an email from someone at the PA Turnpike Commission verifying it.

Email contents here:
http://learntorv.com/road-tunnel-res...near-maryland/
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
We can always hope so Dave, however it doesn't seem like it was the case a few weeks ago over on I-20 in Texas....but this sounds like a motorhome propane cylinder.

http://www.bigspringherald.com/conte...kle-five-fires
Ouch

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #55

Get out the popcorn.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Actually, Bette supposed to be off for the PA turnpike tunnels. I have an email from someone at the PA Turnpike Commission verifying it.

Email contents here:
http://learntorv.com/road-tunnel-res...near-maryland/
Interesting to say the least. Having driven through the pike tunnels almost weekly for the last 20 years I can tell you that you will not find any official sign or notice at those tunnels or anywhere else on the pike that states that. I personally would not take an email from anyone at the PATC as gospel, it's not exactly a user friendly organization and makes Chicago politicians look like the Boy Scouts LOL. To me it sounds like the woman made her own interpretation of the Regs concerning commercial bulk shipments. I have never stopped and shut off the tanks, do not know anyone else who ever has, and have never seen nor heard of anyone being so much as questioned about it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #57

Well... I also belong to an ATV forum and one fella asked about wearing a helmet. A few guys jumped in and said they had "ridden x number of miles/years and never needed a helmet".
They must be the same guys who say "I towed from here to there with my gas on and never had a problem".
Y'all can do whatever you want but IMHO towing with an open flame is as bad of an idea as riding an ATV without a helmet. I even live in a gambling state but those odds do not appeal to me. Just sayin'.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #58

I turn mine off when I travel. I start mine a few days before we travel so I figure it will stay cool. Also doing the majority of my traveling in western Canada helps as well.
Honda eu3000 Generator
2015 Nights Camped : 37
2014 Nights Camped : 33
Quasipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #59

We turn our fridge on 2 - 3 days before a trip, running on electric. When we're ready to pull out, we turn 1 tank on, switch over to propane and travel with the fridge on. If you are uncomfortable traveling that way for that distance, you could use icepacks. 4-5 in the freezer and 2-3 in the fridge. We always keep some on-board just in case of a malfunction.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #60

For you information, Propane is classified as a Class 2 dangerous goods. There are regulations how it must be handled, stored and transported. And by the way these rules
also apply to small 20lb tanks. You could try Googling Class 2 dangerous goods.
furtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, tank