Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you normally travel with the propane cylinders-
Open 160 78.43%
Closed 44 21.57%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #121

Thought I would jump into this discussion with my two cents worth. Previous truck camper fridge didn't work on 12 volt and would not keep food frozen in freezer on a 4-6 hr drive, so I had to use propane, or lose food. Hopefully the new truck camper fridge which is bigger and better built ('95 versa '16) when previously cooled and left closed will do better, and I can travel with propane off. Have yet to take my first trip with it. As stated in previous replies, you can do what ever works for you, but I think if you can travel with the propane off, you just eliminate a possible source of fire.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Quite a few states forbid propane use enroute. All the states I traveled over 30 years I used it.
Good Sam travel directory is a quick ref for this and many highway refs. Don't get caught with the valve open in a no state.
There is a company in Sturgis Michigan that converts gasoline powered trucks to propane. They then get delivered throughout the United States. As one of the delivery drivers, I never encountered a state that required me to turn off the LP.
PTaylor883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
You mean you can't use a plastic milk jug. I do that all the time. I normally talk to people on my cell phone at the pump. I think some of this stuff is just business covering there butt in case of a lawsuit, about the same as Macdonalds putting caution coffee is hot on cups and may burn. If the coffee wasn't hot I would take it back
The US DOT has regulations on gasoline containers under 5 gallons. Anyone who puts gasoline in a non-approved container is being foolish.
PTaylor883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Would you mind clarifying WHICH states? All I have found is the tunnel, ferry, bridge and refueling restrictions. I have found no state laws that restrict traveling with the propane tanks open.

Aaron

Youch, easy guys, I haven't found my orig source yet. I remember it well cause it was my state of New Jersey in the center position. I had been towing over twenty years and never heard to secure propane. But then maybe it's just advancing age.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, tank