Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you normally travel with the propane cylinders-
Open 160 78.43%
Closed 44 21.57%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Driving with lp tanks open to run fridge, right or wrong?

Newbie here, bought our first TT, Flagstaff Mirco Mini 21DS. Fridge manufacturer recommends turning off all gas appliances before fueling. 21DS with slide in makes it difficult to reach fridge, would probably have to move slide in an out to access fridge. I'd hate to drive to our destination with fridge off an have contents spoil. Planning on driving 6-8 hours at the most in a day. What's the common practice?

thanks
vega1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

I leave mine on. I don't worry about it while fueling. Right? Wrong? I have a hard time seeing how a small flame that far away while I'm fueling is going to spark anything off. Obviously I wouldn't pull in on top of a big fuel spill or anything like that.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1247 View Post
Newbie here, bought our first TT, Flagstaff Mirco Mini 21DS. Fridge manufacturer recommends turning off all gas appliances before fueling. 21DS with slide in makes it difficult to reach fridge, would probably have to move slide in an out to access fridge. I'd hate to drive to our destination with fridge off an have contents spoil. Planning on driving 6-8 hours at the most in a day. What's the common practice?

thanks

I leave my tanks open to keep fridge cold while driving. I think most people do.
scbrown063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Lots of opinions, we run with ours on. Chances of a leak and contained gas with a spark are pretty slim in my eyes, I like cold food so will continue to do so until all the planets align and the dam camper explodes.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

On a related note, why did RV fridges switch from 3 way to 2 way? My 2000 Camplite popup had a DC option on the fridge that we could use on the road.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Kept my fridge running on propane from Virginia to New Mexico a couple of weeks ago, no problems. When stopping over night at a koa, used shore power while at campsite. When leaving turned shore power off, system switches automatically to propane. It just a small pilot light propane usage not an issue.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I leave mine on. I don't worry about it while fueling. Right? Wrong? I have a hard time seeing how a small flame that far away while I'm fueling is going to spark anything off. Obviously I wouldn't pull in on top of a big fuel spill or anything like that.
Have never thought about that but we leave ours on to keep our fridge cold also.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

I had my tank valves off when they both decided to jump off the trailer on I-40 in Albuquerque NM and then be dragged underneath the tongue for a few miles. I had no idea that they had fallen off the tongue. That noise I heard obviously was not one of those noises that the WDH makes. In my rear view mirrors all I could see was trailer and everything looked fine. But a passenger in my truck said that drivers kept pulling up to the TV, pointing and then speeding away. Now I know why.
I luckily found a extra long and wide spot to pull over. When I walked back to the TT I found both tanks and the cover attached to the regulator laying under the TT tongue. The tanks had considerable damage but were not compromised. I disconnected the tanks and placed them in the back of my TV pickup bed. The all thread bolt that secures the tanks was not screwed in tight at the base and the tanks were just sitting on the trailer tongue under the cover. The dealer gave us a complimentary LPG tank fill upon our new purchase. I was not the last one to handle the cover or tanks so I had no reason to believe they were loose. They were the last ones to check the tanks and their mounting. Short version is, I filed a claim with FR through my dealer. I was able to be reimbursed for the cost of new tanks, cover, repair of the tank mounting bracket and the propane. I now have a 4' long orange fiberglass rod (about 3/8 diameter) vertically sticking out of the tank cover. In clear view of my rear view mirrors. And it has reflective tape. I know if the cover is there, so are the tanks. Just my peace of mind. If you think it can't happen to you, think again.
When I purchased the new tanks at a Camping World near Flagstaff AZ, the service manager gave the tanks a look over and then carried one of them across the street to an open field and left it there. Hmmmm.
Just missed disaster........Again.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #9

Wheels Down - That would've scared the bagibbies out of me, glad to here tanks weren't compromised.....now that's scary.
vega1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I had my tank valves off when they both decided to jump off the trailer on I-40 in Albuquerque NM and then be dragged underneath the tongue for a few miles. I had no idea that they had fallen off the tongue. That noise I heard obviously was not one of those noises that the WDH makes. In my rear view mirrors all I could see was trailer and everything looked fine. But a passenger in my truck said that drivers kept pulling up to the TV, pointing and then speeding away. Now I know why.
I luckily found a extra long and wide spot to pull over. When I walked back to the TT I found both tanks and the cover attached to the regulator laying under the TT tongue. The tanks had considerable damage but were not compromised. I disconnected the tanks and placed them in the back of my TV pickup bed. The all thread bolt that secures the tanks was not screwed in tight at the base and the tanks were just sitting on the trailer tongue under the cover. The dealer gave us a complimentary LPG tank fill upon our new purchase. I was not the last one to handle the cover or tanks so I had no reason to believe they were loose. They were the last ones to check the tanks and their mounting. Short version is, I filed a claim with FR through my dealer. I was able to be reimbursed for the cost of new tanks, cover, repair of the tank mounting bracket and the propane. I now have a 4' long orange fiberglass rod (about 3/8 diameter) vertically sticking out of the tank cover. In clear view of my rear view mirrors. And it has reflective tape. I know if the cover is there, so are the tanks. Just my peace of mind. If you think it can't happen to you, think again.
When I purchased the new tanks at a Camping World near Flagstaff AZ, the service manager gave the tanks a look over and then carried one of them across the street to an open field and left it there. Hmmmm.
Just missed disaster........Again.
RMc
Side lesson might be that if you hear something odd, check it now, not later.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
On a related note, why did RV fridges switch from 3 way to 2 way? My 2000 Camplite popup had a DC option on the fridge that we could use on the road.
I had a three way in my old TT and old class 'A' and thought it was great. I imagine they dropped that to increase profits.
Since 12v power is no longer an option I leave the LP on while on the road.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Kept my fridge running on propane from Virginia to New Mexico a couple of weeks ago, no problems. When stopping over night at a koa, used shore power while at campsite. When leaving turned shore power off, system switches automatically to propane. It just a small pilot light propane usage not an issue.
You have No Pilot light,you have DSI! Youroo!!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #13

Tanks OFF

When we go south to camp we have to go through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. They always ask if the tanks are off. If we then go west we have to go through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, They have you get out and physically show them the tanks are OFF. If we're going a long distance (8 hours) I cool the fridge down and shut it off along with the gas. The fridge will maintain a reasonably cool temp and nothing spoils. When I get to my destination I turn it back on. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
TMMull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Site Team

You would probably be OK leaving the tanks on....... unless you hit/snag something and it breaks the line. A tire tread separation is a common occurrence for it to rip out the electrical and propane lines.

Also maybe don't want to do it if you have a Class B while fueling.

Gas-station fire destroys Indiana couple’s RV - News - Houma Today - Houma, LA

Still not sure how this one happened, but they say it was due to a propane leak at the fridge:

Santa Rosa gas station worker burned during propane fire | The Press Democrat

But most importantly, Mac The Fireguy says not to do it as well as offers better methods:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
The bigger the fridge, the more power (i.e., electrical current) is required to provide the amount of heat needed to power the cooling cycle. Popups use much smaller fridges. Bigger fridges use more current than most tow vehicles can supply.

3-way's are usually limited to around 3 cu ft and smaller.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #16

I don't worry about it so much filling up the Duramax. With my gas truck I generally turned them off.
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #17
Site Team

majority of RV owners travel with propane on for fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The bigger the fridge, the more power (i.e., electrical current) is required to provide the amount of heat needed to power the cooling cycle. Popups use much smaller fridges. Bigger fridges use more current than most tow vehicles can supply.

3-way's are usually limited to around 3 cu ft and smaller.
Hmmmm...very interesting. Always kind of wondered why no 3 way fridge in larger RVs. Thanks for the info; you are a knowledgeable man!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #19

I do believe the they are supposed to be off (by law) while driving thru tunnels.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #20

Some tunnels have a limit on the amount/ size of tanks.

Tags
fridge, tank