Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

Dry Camping and generators

I have a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. I am getting ready to buy either a Honda eu2000i or a Powerhorse LC2000i (would love opinions on this too). I am planning several visits soon to National Parks with no hookups so I am trying to get prepared for this as I have not taken my trailer to dry camp yet. Are these true statements:
1. Not plugged in, no generator running and a full battery, this will run my lights and my water pump, gas water heater lighter, tongue jack, slide motor and awning. Hoping it runs the heater fan too..need to go try that.
2. When I plug in, this charges my battery and the things that will run off the battery continue to run off the battery even though I am plugged in. Being plugged in just keeps the battery charged and allows use of the AC and switches the frig to power instead of gas.
3. If I plug the trailer into the 30A plug on the generator, while it is running I can run everything (not all at the same time..I understand the watts) but the AC.
Will the generator running also recharge my battery while I am plugged in to it?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

Neither of those generator will power your AC (also look at the champion 2000w inverter) you will need to purchase 2 2000w and use a parallel kit

Since we have the same camper here's what I will be doing when i spend 7 days at RMNP.

using 2 batteries, I will make sure that I run out slide and jacks down while still plugged into truck.

I am taking a generator to top off batteries and in case I want to run the Microwave. Time of year and altitude will mean that I wont need AC (First week in June) Generator will only produce about 75% of normal power due to altitude of 8500 feet

if I wanted A/c i would bring both Champion 2000w generators and the Parallel kit. Hook 30amp cord into parallel kit and run AC that way

Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Yep.. I know it won't power the AC..that is ok with me too.
Does the battery charge while it's plugged into the truck?
I was considering getting a second battery too.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
Yep.. I know it won't power the AC..that is ok with me too.
Does the battery charge while it's plugged into the truck?
I was considering getting a second battery too.
It does but very slowly.

My truck has to be running or key turned on for wire to be hot.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

1. If you are gonna do a lot of dry camping...I'd recommend a second battery for sure.
2. When plugged into shore power (or a generator) your power center converts 110v to 12v. All of your 12v devices feed off the 12 volts from the converter while the battery is also charged. I may be wrong, but I don't think your 12v actually feeds thru you battery (so to speak) before it goes to your devices. It's kinda like your converted 12v and battery connect to the same 12v buss. There are some electronics built into the power center to keep the battery from over charging.
3. As for what you can run on the 2K gennie. (And you cannot go wrong with a Honda.) You should be able to run your AC and some other small electrical devices (not the microwave, or a blender,etc). The fridge will for sure run (off the 12v) and probably even your TV....it did on our Flagstaff FW a few years ago. It's really just trial and error to see how much you can run off the gennie. I would always turn any 110v devices off when initially turning on the AC though. Turn the thermostat down so only the fan comes on first and once the AC fan comes up to speed slide the thermostat up until the compressor kicks in.
4. There are lots of good youtube videos that show you how to make your own extended run accessory to attach your generator to an external gas tank. (The Honda 2K's gas tank is less than a gallon and will not run all night.)
I'm sure I've misstated something here (I always do). But, our other FRF buddies will set me straight and provide you more info.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
Are these true statements:

3. If I plug the trailer into the 30A plug on the generator, while it is running I can run everything (not all at the same time..I understand the watts) but the AC.
Will the generator running also recharge my battery while I am plugged in to it?
The generator will power the converter in the RV, which will in turn recharge your battery dependent on the state of discharge. The brand/model converter you have installed in your RV also will affect how good/fast a recharge that it is capable of.

This may help:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

In the NPS campgrounds, you will not be able to run your Generator over night. There are specific hours that are allowed.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

Thank you.. Y'all are the best..I understand now about converter..makes total sense. Of course everything would run off the bus rather than straight off the battery. I will mostly be in campgrounds and you can't run the gennie all night anyway. So far I won't be dry camping more than 3 days at time. So even if I fail at making this baby hum, I won't have to suffer long. It seems pretty idiot proof though.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Also, 2000w units only supply 20 amps, not 30 amps, unless you parallel two of them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #10

ten four on the 20 amps..which is why you can't/shouldn't run the AC compressor.

Tags
camping, dry camping, generator