Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Dual propane tanks/regulator

I have a 2018 27DBK and I was wondering if automatic switchover regulators are standard on campers or if the system would run off of both of the tanks at the same time. I ask because I bought two gauges so I could closely monitor the levels thinking one would show empty and I’d know to change it, however it seems like both the gauges go down together. Thoughts?
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

Mine is automatic. I select the primary tank. When that tank drops too low it automatically switches to the other tank. The green indicator then turns red to let me know it does this.

Then I turn the control valve to the other tank and refill the primary tank.

I go back and forth between tanks. So they get used equally.

I also have a spare 30 lbs tank. This way I always run a tank empty and don’t have to pay for partial refills.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
I have a 2018 27DBK and I was wondering if automatic switchover regulators are standard on campers or if the system would run off of both of the tanks at the same time. I ask because I bought two gauges so I could closely monitor the levels thinking one would show empty and I’d know to change it, however it seems like both the gauges go down together. Thoughts?
They are fairly common on trailers with dual propane cylinders. We have a very detailed FAQ on how to operate them at this link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-146655.html

You may not have selector valve, set to draw from one or the other, and it's drawing from both.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

I used to be a fan of these automatic changeover regulators until I had a propane leak and lost propane from both of my 30 lb tanks.

I now run off of one tank exclusively and keep the other valve closed. I can usually go 2 weeks on 30 lbs of propane and most of my trips are less than that so I've never had to run out in the middle of the night to change turn the other valve on. I top off my propane tank before every trip.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank