Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #21

Weezer: That was not us at Lake o' the Pines. I wish it was. I am working to much and can't get away until October for the Texas FROG rally in Kerrville. Come join us if you can?

Old 09-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #22

We have been looking to buy a used 21ft 2006 or 2007 toy hauler and leaning towards getting the ducted AC. This discussion is making me lean more toward insistence. The roof would have to be thicker to route the ducting thru it. Does the thicker roof add anything noticeable in the way of heat insulation - is it just empty space or thicker insulation?

Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #23

I know it is not like this in some trailers but the one we have has a Styrofoam layer in the roof. The ducts are literally cut into the Styrofoam.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #24

Same with mine. I believe it's 4" foam with plywood sheathing bonded on both sides and covered with a rubber layer. It's my understanding that almost all FR trailers in the past few years are built like that. Don't know how far back that goes though. I can say that the roof on mine has never felt the slightest bit warm on the inside even in direct sunlight in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #25

Our is ducted but gets much louder upon opening the vents on the AC unit and bypassing the ducts. Seems to keep it pretty evenly nice and cool and it's nice to have a vent by the bunkhouse area and behind the master bed partition.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #26
Site Team

Ducted vs regular air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
Our is ducted but gets much louder upon opening the vents on the AC unit and bypassing the ducts. Seems to keep it pretty evenly nice and cool and it's nice to have a vent by the bunkhouse area and behind the master bed partition.

Ours is actually the opposite. When we close the louvers on the main unit, it creates a high pitch whine which makes it louder to have them closed than open.

On the other hand though, even open they still blow through the ducts and that makes it worthwhile. I just wish it would be quieter closed.

Edit: if everyone's else's is quieter, maybe I should have had that on the list for Goshen. I didn't think of it cause I assumed they were all like that.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #27

Yes, it should be quieter with the main unit vents closed. It sounds like you have something wrong. My unit was assembled wrong which made it noisier in all modes and it wasn't till we lived with it for one season that I found it. It was just plain put together wrong.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Yes, it should be quieter with the main unit vents closed. It sounds like you have something wrong. My unit was assembled wrong which made it noisier in all modes and it wasn't till we lived with it for one season that I found it. It was just plain put together wrong.
What specifically was wrong with the assembly so we know what to look for?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTBabich View Post
What specifically was wrong with the assembly so we know what to look for?
I have some photos and will add some notation to it and post it. But in the meantime what I found was that the vertical baffle that separates the intake from the output was mounted backwards the result being it was an inch or so from where it should have been. It didn't match up with the rest of the unit and a blast of air would sneak under it from the output back to the intake. It made a very loud noise rushing under that space and all I had to do was remove it, turn it around 180 degrees, and screw it back down. It then matched up with the rest of the design of the unit and was instantly quieter. While I don't believe it is your problem it could be an issue with others so I will post is soon.