Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Dumb tire question.

I've done searches about flat tires but haven't found the answer to my question. Most threads discuss changing a flat tire or what tires to buy/avoid but what I want to know is how do you know if a TT tire goes down while you're driving.
I'd like to know I have a flat or low tire before it shreds or causes the other tire to blow as well.

What are the signs that you have a flat?
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Usually there are no signs beforehand. Lookn' back and tire parts flying, or another motorist flagging you over are the main ways of finding out after the tire blows. Noticing a lean to the camper could be another. Most campers handle well with a flat, so it is hard to tell from the drivers seat.

Check out the many threads on TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) on the forum.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

my trailer usually would weave quickly, not like a long fishtail type of weaving more like what you would experience from cracks in the pavement. trailer would also lean a bit. invest in a tire that is specifically for rvs but has the most plies (6) or more, they are a little more expensive but will solve premature failure I went to a tire dealer and had them ordered. watch yourtire pressure closely and adjust for temperature conditions
ralnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

i had no indication on mine. thought i would see it or feel it. drove from just south of Greeley co. to well on the south side of Denver before someone came along side and pointed. when i stopped, i saw the cord. rim did not hit the ground. all that was left was cord and the bead.
the reason i believe i was just south of greely is that i saw the trim from the wheel well flapping. when i went back, the part of the trailer between the wheels appeared to be bent in some. tires still appeared good but was dodging traffic so didn't get down and check them. had just checked them abt 30 min before at the campground and they were good.
i purchased the sensors that screw onto the valve stems (believe they were referred to in one of the above post). i have caught them each time they went flat sense. a little caution though, the majority of air losses sense have been due to the sensors. manufacturer suggested teflon tape between the stem and sensor. i have had a couple losses sense. the air loss was a low percentage thing. probably happened half dozen times sense i installed them 3 yrs ago. once, sense adding the Teflon a little over a year ago.
they tend to start going down then after abt 10 lbs stop. i stop and go re-tighten them.
i haven't torn up the side of the trailer sense installing them.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
a little caution though, the majority of air losses sense have been due to the sensors.
The last time I washed my trailer, I had a flat tire the next day. I had loosened the sensor when washing the wheel. That is the 1st and only time something like that has happened.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Buy a set of tire pressure monitors. They really give peace of mind, knowing that the monitor will alert you long before the tire shreds. They aren't cheap, but neither is the resulting damage from an exploding tire!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #7

i agree. buy them. the damage to my trailer ran a little over $2000. it damaged the insulation which covered the water lines. the side just happened to be the long piece that ran from the front to the wheel wells. there were also side effects from the vibration.
it was that incident that caused me to part with the money.
my tires were 3 yrs old. i check them before each trip and do a quick check before each pull. had that one replaced plus a questionable one on the other side. when i arrived at the next campground, the tread had pealed off the one that had carried the load when i drove with the flat for so long.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote