Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Agreed! When we have to purchase an accessory item, we try to get the best one we can afford, then take care of it so it will last for a long time. When I sell the WJ next year, I still have the "UN-used" hoses that came from the factory to put back into it for the new owner; taking my better hoses, cords, etc. with me to the next one. I will also refer them to this forum where so many great people will help you out!

Sort of doing the same thing, I bought all the good Camco hoses -and leveling blocks but since I am going to a fifth wheel with auto leveling, when I sell my 2015 Roo 23ikss at the end of July I am giving all my extra stuff to the new owner, only taking my really expensive stuff with me and starting fresh when I sell the Roo 😄

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #142

Yesterday, was taking 5th wheel to storage yard and stopped at one of the local RV dealers to empty the black tank.

I called, they told me it was free, just come by and do it myself and it's right next door to the KOA campground where I store the trailer. Get there and the sign says to use their equipment. Not a problem, but I have a setup in my bumper that I use to hook up to dump stations, the primary is clean and put away in a tote.

I hook up their system, hook up the water flush, open and turn on the water, then let it empty. Their hose was twisted, pin holes, duct taped, it was terrible.

I did get it emptied, cleaned everything up, took my gloves off and washed up real good. I don't thik I will go back again, if I do, I will use my own system. I just can't imagine a RV dealership having a system like that, it'is very messy and unsanitary.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
Yesterday, was taking 5th wheel to storage yard and stopped at one of the local RV dealers to empty the black tank.

I called, they told me it was free, just come by and do it myself and it's right next door to the KOA campground where I store the trailer. Get there and the sign says to use their equipment. Not a problem, but I have a setup in my bumper that I use to hook up to dump stations, the primary is clean and put away in a tote.

I hook up their system, hook up the water flush, open and turn on the water, then let it empty. Their hose was twisted, pin holes, duct taped, it was terrible.

I did get it emptied, cleaned everything up, took my gloves off and washed up real good. I don't thik I will go back again, if I do, I will use my own system. I just can't imagine a RV dealership having a system like that, it'is very messy and unsanitary.

Yeah prefer all my own stuff, and learned a lesson to never lend my sewer hose out, got my connector back loose and extension hose had a tear in it. That will Never happen again....

Old 06-19-2016, 01:42 AM   #144

Memorial day weekend, campground was booked solid, they allow one camper plus 1 tent per camp lot or two tents. The people in our neighboring lot struggle to back in a 23 foot hybrid being towed by a mercury mountaineer that sounds like it needs all its hubs or wheel bearing replaced as well as a groaning transmission, the trailer moved around slightly after the tow vehicle stopped. I offered to help guide him in but he quickly refused and pointed to his female friend walking in from parking area. They setup, then a vehicle backed in and unloaded three tents, all set up between us and the other camper. ..a couple hours later, two more tent campers backed in unloading coolers, etc and started pitching the tent 3 feet from our 44 foot toy hauler. They must have caught my look as they chose to move closer to the other tents..the camp lot beside us now had 19 people and 3 small dogs a travel trailer, 5 tents and an easy up... spending the entire weekend! They came over asking for help putting the awning out on the hybrid camper. ..it gave me a chance to confirm something I saw when they backed up the camper, it looked like a lot of slop in the hitch...sure enough they were using 2" ball to pull the travel trailer!

You cant fix stupid.
jb4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #145

JB4xx, I am amazed daily (no longer shocked, mind you) at the just plain stupid stuff people do. Not just in campgrounds, but in everyday life nowadays. It seems as if no one actually reads the directions or warnings before they attempt to do something, and then are indignant and outraged that it didn't work properly or they got hurt. Worse yet, if they happen to make it work the first time without killing anyone, they think they did it correctly (like actually arriving at the campground right side up) and completely ignore trying to do it better/safer. You can't idiot-proof everything, the idiots are getting sneakier and will figure out a way to make it work without using the correct equipment or tools. AND, as you found, they certainly don't want someone else telling them they are doing it wrong! Oh my Gosh, how humiliating that would be to ask a question! Rather they risk serious injury or death to themselves, or an innocent bystander, because asking someone that knows or is evidentially experienced (ie: a friendly, experienced person next door in a 40' toy hauler) is just too much effort. Indeed: You can't fix Stupid.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4xx View Post
Memorial day weekend, campground was booked solid, they allow one camper plus 1 tent per camp lot or two tents. The people in our neighboring lot struggle to back in a 23 foot hybrid being towed by a mercury mountaineer that sounds like it needs all its hubs or wheel bearing replaced as well as a groaning transmission, the trailer moved around slightly after the tow vehicle stopped. I offered to help guide him in but he quickly refused and pointed to his female friend walking in from parking area. They setup, then a vehicle backed in and unloaded three tents, all set up between us and the other camper. ..a couple hours later, two more tent campers backed in unloading coolers, etc and started pitching the tent 3 feet from our 44 foot toy hauler. They must have caught my look as they chose to move closer to the other tents..the camp lot beside us now had 19 people and 3 small dogs a travel trailer, 5 tents and an easy up... spending the entire weekend! They came over asking for help putting the awning out on the hybrid camper. ..it gave me a chance to confirm something I saw when they backed up the camper, it looked like a lot of slop in the hitch...sure enough they were using 2" ball to pull the travel trailer!

You cant fix stupid.

I know I would have been at office complaining, to many tents plus to many people

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Sort of doing the same thing, I bought all the good Camco hoses -and leveling blocks but since I am going to a fifth wheel with auto leveling, when I sell my 2015 Roo 23ikss at the end of July I am giving all my extra stuff to the new owner, only taking my really expensive stuff with me and starting fresh when I sell the Roo 😄

Why? I have auto leveling and I still use the leveling blocks.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Why? I have auto leveling and I still use the leveling blocks.

Same here - less extension on the legs means more stability - putting blocks under each one definitely helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #149

This weekend my new neighbour was letting his wife back into the site with their TT, told me she needs the "practice"...ok sure whatever. So after she almost hit my truck twice, I came over and said, "I can move my truck". He said..."no I'm watching it don't worry". This whole fiasco went on for about an hour! Why can't people accept any sort of help? Geez. When they started to level my wife said this will probably take another hour, let's go to the beach, she couldn't take it anymore..lol
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
This weekend my new neighbour was letting his wife back into the site with their TT, told me she needs the "practice"...ok sure whatever. So after she almost hit my truck twice, I came over and said, "I can move my truck". He said..."no I'm watching it don't worry". This whole fiasco went on for about an hour! Why can't people accept any sort of help? Geez. When they started to level my wife said this will probably take another hour, let's go to the beach, she couldn't take it anymore..lol
Oh! Oh! Pick ME, pick ME! I know! PRIDE! I was right, wasn't I?
We all like to think (read: desperately believe) that we know what we are doing. And something else I have run across is how do you know the person volunteering to help you is actually any better at this than you. NOT talking about you kthoms, but in general, how do you know what ability this friendly strange has? I had a guy several years ago ask if he could help me back in my parents TT at a site; his was about 1/2 the way into a ditch on his site, not level, and looked like...okay, less than well-maintained. I passed on the offer also, but told him thank you I needed to learn for myself. I have been pulling trailers, large and small since I was 15, so I am okay at it most of the time! Still, we do continue to ask; that is what RV'ers do.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
I was working up north and trying to back my sunset trail into my spot at a trailer park. Trucks parked in the street on both sides. I had to visit 3 trailers and ask them to move their trucks.
The one next door, the gal said "He's not here and I don't know if I have the keys". Irritated as all get out because he was practically parked in front of my driveway I said "Well watch if you don't mind, maybe I won't hit it". She ran back inside.

Next thing I know a guy comes running out of that same trailer, moves his truck and the utility trailer hooked to it, and helps guide me in.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #152

Scotty must have beamed him back down for the moment! Geez, really nice of him!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #153

Quote:
Oh! Oh! Pick ME, pick ME! I know! PRIDE! I was right, wasn't I?
We all like to think (read: desperately believe) that we know what we are doing. And something else I have run across is how do you know the person volunteering to help you is actually any better at this than you. NOT talking about you kthoms, but in general, how do you know what ability this friendly strange has? I had a guy several years ago ask if he could help me back in my parents TT at a site; his was about 1/2 the way into a ditch on his site, not level, and looked like...okay, less than well-maintained. I passed on the offer also, but told him thank you I needed to learn for myself. I have been pulling trailers, large and small since I was 15, so I am okay at it most of the time! Still, we do continue to ask; that is what RV'ers do.
I hear ya, but I was only letting them know that I could move my truck as it was OBVIOUSLY making it worse for them, it really was a tight fit...but oh no, let's make it more difficult for some reason. I probably wouldn't have told this story but it literally took them over an hour to park it..guess they didn't need a beer quite like I do when I set up
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #154

2 things that caught my attention on my first vacation of summer last week:

Marshall Pass: We were headed up a nice trail on our Polaris ACEs's and encountered riders of 4 ATVs on side of road taking a break. There were 4 adults and 3 children under age 10 with the group. All adult riders were drinking beer. No helmets for adults of children were immediately visible. We picked up the empty beer cans on our way back.

Kebler Pass: I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm an avid snowmobiler after riding thru Kebler Pass last week. There were over a dozen abandoned sleds littering the area making the place look like a mountain junkyard. Very unsightly and unacceptable.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
2 things that caught my attention on my first vacation of summer last week:

Marshall Pass: We were headed up a nice trail on our Polaris ACEs's and encountered riders of 4 ATVs on side of road taking a break. There were 4 adults and 3 children under age 10 with the group. All adult riders were drinking beer. No helmets for adults of children were immediately visible. We picked up the empty beer cans on our way back.

Kebler Pass: I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm an avid snowmobiler after riding thru Kebler Pass last week. There were over a dozen abandoned sleds littering the area making the place look like a mountain junkyard. Very unsightly and unacceptable.
Very sad state of responsibility in today's world. Don't get me started about adults actually picking up after themselves.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #156

Quote:
Very sad state of responsibility in today's world. Don't get me started about adults actually picking up after themselves.
Not to mention drinking and driving and endangering innocent kids. That is the dumbest thing described on this thread.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #157

Amen

Tags
camping