Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #21

I, too, would be one to offer someone help in backing in, or whatever the situation might be to make camping life easier. Apparently, these 2 couples ( probably the men ) felt that their "camping pride of knowledge" was being stepped on when another volunteered their assistance.

In the case, as it was, I would have sat back and enjoyed the entertainment too. I'm always open to a good head-shaker.

As to the people and their sewage hose phobias. I can only say that my growing up and tending to the chicken house, horse stalls, and other enjoyable chores around the farm....oops, not to forget the outhouse, soap does wonders on your hands afterwards. I just get a chuckle out of some the responses here.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I showed up solo for the mayberry rally with s 40' fiver. 2 FRF members promptly showed up and ground guided me in. They got a very polite thank you for the help as it was appreciated.

The hose thing always cracks me up... Do they clean their toilet with their dish sponge too? I saw one shoving the nasty hose at a dump station into his fresh water tank. Wonder if he would face done it if he hand seen This guy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	110407  
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #23
CDR USN Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
,,, Or use a garden hose as their fresh water drinking hose.
There are numerous potable water rated garden hoses available on the market.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #24

Of course he didn't need help. He already had 3 helpers pointing in different directions !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #25

Dumbest thing I have ever seen while camping.

In 25 years of RVing I have never used gloves. Guess I'm just careful.

As for the other comments, I side with Mark Twain: "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

It's getting so disruptions at campgrounds are the new norm. Barking dogs, loud music and TV, unruly kids (and adults), no involvement by park managers, driving around at night with brights on, and on and on. Not sure there's a cure but it's sad to see.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #26

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
When we got our little Salem Cruise Lite we spent a lot of time in huge parking lots and fields until my husband got a handle on backing that thing. But when we first started there were times when I would have loved an expert to show up ;-)

Along the same lines, I used to take my little flat-bottom boat to the lake and while I could have backed it down in a couple of tries, there were always some good fellows who jumped out of their trucks and offered to get it in there for me in no time flat.

Of course I know it's because they're behind me in line and want me out of the way, but, hey I appreciated the help!

When someone offers and the husband isn't ready to accept I thank them for the offer and say we're practicing ;-)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #27

Never underestimate the stupidity of people when in a crowd.

Those same people are breeding.

They also vote.

And lastly, they don't read this great forum.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #28
7 Year Class A RV'er

I watched an elderly couple in a small RV they obviously owned do the same hose trick one morning as they packed up to leave just outside Atlanta. Ran the drinking hose all the way down the sewer hose to rinse it out. Problem was, the sewer hose was still connected to the sewer, so more than likely they ran that hose right down into the sewer line. Yummy! Another reason I carry a spray bottle of bleach water with me and spray down all the spigots before I connect our drinking water hoses!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
There are numerous potable water rated garden hoses available on the market.
OK, yes true, but how many are really using garden hoses that are new and are potable water rated and how many have just unhooked the hose from their backyard?

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #30
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Are you stupid or something?
Mama says, “Stupid is as stupid does.”
"Forrest Gump"

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #31

The assistance of others in a camp ground is a tricky subject with no real answer. Deep down everyone appreciates the sentiment of helping out your fellow man...but there is always a "but", lol.

Personally, I hate when someone gives you 3 seconds to attempt to get into the site and then come running over to assist. At least give me a few minutes before coming over to express your motor vehicle operating prowess, lol.

But I also feel like there is also a time frame that is too long to wait. After 20 minutes, I'm pretty sure I'd be so peeved I don't want to talk to anyone about my issues. So it is almost a lose/lose for those looking to offer a hand. Show up too soon you are an annoyance, show up too late and you are an annoyance. Hahaha

But with that said, nothing is more annoying than having help from too many people, who all "know the best way to do it", and none of them are on the same page as the other "experts" in the group. For purposes of remaining married, we always try to get a pull through site. We have to manage a "3 point turn" in our storage lot, so we can manage to maneuver the vehicle, now that we have come to an agreement on our language barrier (I speak "man" ((also know as literal)) and she speaks "woman" ((which requires a "you know what I meant translator app")). But its still better to not set a negative tone for the weekend with a bad arrival experience, lol. So pull through is worth every penny.

As for the hose action, that is probably not even the grossest thing that a rented RV afforded them that weekend, lol. I have seen on multiple occasions, I'd guess 5 times in 2 years (?), people using their hose to rinse the slinky, allowing the water to run out of the slinky and all over the campsite.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #32

Quote:
OK, yes true, but how many are really using garden hoses that are new and are potable water rated and how many have just unhooked the hose from their backyard?

You speak as if drinking from a garden hose is a bad thing. Many generations grew up drinking from a hose, and better yet still do to this day. Drinking water from the Well was another drinking outlet. People are way too germaphobic these days.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #33

Quote:
True, I also have had many a refreshing, yet slightly vinyl tasting, drinks from a good old green garden hose. I didn't die, or at least not yet from doing it, however I don't really want EVERY drink and beverage to have the "water hose" taste so I'll just stick to my white hose for the city water connection.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #34

I am so happy I have never rented an RV.s As someone with an overactive immune system and has to have it suppressed. I would have to say something to those folks.

Now as to being a person learning to back up, I need to learn which way the other way is.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Yep! Bingo! That's Why I Never Ever Help! I JUST SMILE AND WAVE!:tri nk39:

YUP. I OFFER, ACCEPT REJECTION POLITELY. Then get a beer and watch.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
You speak as if drinking from a garden hose is a bad thing. Many generations grew up drinking from a hose, and better yet still do to this day. Drinking water from the Well was another drinking outlet. People are way too germaphobic these days.
X2 I've drank from a green garden hose for over 50 years, from the spring and the creek. Oh my I'm still here...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #37
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
The funniest tag team

The funniest couple I ever saw trying to back in was a rather chunky woman holding a dog in her arms and pointing with her pinkies. He was yelling which way and all she would do is wave her pinky. Never put the dog down nor did she say a word. It was a great 20 minute show.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #38

If you see me miss on the 2nd attempt to back in, come on over. I'll even let you jump in the truck and do it if you want. I can back the 32'oat down the ramp 1st try every time but the darn 5er some days (most days) is an entirely different story.

Have seen others do the one hose for everything in the past. One of the reasons we take bottled water for drinking and coffee...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Couple of things...my dear brother and his wife are terrible at backing in; even after owning a TT for 5 years, they are still terrible, and they end up screaming at each other. I offered to help one time when they camped next to us, and was told that he had been pulling a trailer longer than I and he didn't need any help. Could have fooled me.
Out came the lawn chair and a cold drink , I thought popcorn would be pushing it. They did start talking to each other again after about 1-1/2 hours, so it was all pure free entertainment.

The second thing is my favorite quote. By Voltaire, so stupid has been around for a long time. "Common sense is not all that common." Amen.
How about just leave people alone?
Mind our own p's & q's
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #40

Having a little sign made saying "You can't fix stupid!"
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping