Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #41

Worst hose useage was out west next to a RV rental. They put the dirty sewer hose on the picnic table and rinsed it. Bad stuff all over the table. Horrified to say the least.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celkalee View Post
Having a little sign made saying "You can't fix stupid!"
I SAY LIVE...AND LET LIVE!!

STAY IN YOUR LIL CAMPSITE LOL
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #43
Insert witty title here

I rented an RV once and looking back, it's quite astonishing how little they teach you. All they did was give me a water hose, sewer hose, electrical cord and show me where to connect them. That's it. Absolutely no instruction of any kind on anything. Looking back, I can only imagine the laughs I gave our neighbors at the campsite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #44

I think it depends on what Generation you are talking about. I always appreciate help but then I am 75. You always learn something all the time.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I rented an RV once and looking back, it's quite astonishing how little they teach you. All they did was give me a water hose, sewer hose, electrical cord and show me where to connect them. That's it. Absolutely no instruction of any kind on anything. Looking back, I can only imagine the laughs I gave our neighbors at the campsite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Imagine away.. If it was like any other rental RV folks.. We laughed the nights away..

But as dumb as some of this seems to be... I remember my first trip and how "green" I was.. 15 years later (or so) I can (AS MANY OF US CAN AS WELL) look back and laugh!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #46

The truly horrifying thing is the knowledge that every future renter of that camper will be drinking from a poisoned well. They can become seriously, if not terminally, ill without knowing why.
But, on the plus side, at least the sewer hose will be nice and clean.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #47

X 10!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #48

Being a first time camper ( senior citizen ) I left the dealer after the PDI, with too much info. I purchased the Windjammer in Dec. I had a few months and a lot of posts here before the first trip. Every question was answered in easy to understand terms. First trip went great, good towing, set up and break down, probably a little slow but went fine. I will take and help while backing in a tight spot, but I feel confident I can put it where it needs to be. I just take my time. I have found in my limited experience the posters have been awesome on this site. I even have new campers asking me questions occasionally. Watching campers can be a hoot, kinda like watching a boat owners first voyage at the boat ramp. I have been lucky usually I have found helpful people while camping. But I have seen some sites.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
Wonder if his water in to the trailer has any aftertaste or taste like it has a little wang to it?

I always sanitize the hose bib before connecting and I use separate hoses for water to the trailer and cleaning the sewer hose. I never put my hose inside of the sewer hose. Geeze!

I never like help backing in, I can do just fine without them. There is no fewer than 3 speaking to me at once, none that I can see in my mirrors or anywhere, but I can hear them.
When we get to the campground, I pull up ready to back in. My wife knows then that it's time to take the dog for a walk. Just works a LOT better that way.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarman View Post
Had I not watched this with my own eyes I would no have believed it.

Camping last Friday and a rental RV pulls in across the way from us with two couples in it. After watching them try to back in for a few minutes Myself and another camper offered to help. We were told to mind out own business....okay sorry for intruding have a nice day, stop over for a beer later if you like, just trying to be friendly.

So back at my site, guy next to me and I grab a cold one and sit back to watch the show.

Finally get it backed in after 20 minutes. One gentlemen puts on gloves and proceeded to hook up to the sewer. Not sure what the issue is but he hooks up the freshwater hose and proceeds to wash out the sewer hose by placing the freshwater hose 2-3 feet inside and shakes and swirls it around. Gotta make sure those sewer hoses are clean. He then shoves the hose up the sewer connection on the rig a foot or two with the valve open to clear that out. Water flowing all over the ground.

I think we all know what's coming next......

wait for it.............

He hooks the same freshwater hose right up to the RV city water input. Takes off his gloves and with the job well done, heads inside. I'm sur for a nice clean glass of water.....

And people wonder why I only drink beer when camping
Watching people try to back into camp site IS entertaining. But the most entertaining thing I watch (and yes, I DO this occasionally) is to take a lawn chair to one of the local hill when it has snowed and watch people try to get up it.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Being a first time camper ( senior citizen ) I left the dealer after the PDI, with too much info. I purchased the Windjammer in Dec. I had a few months and a lot of posts here before the first trip. Every question was answered in easy to understand terms. First trip went great, good towing, set up and break down, probably a little slow but went fine. I will take and help while backing in a tight spot, but I feel confident I can put it where it needs to be. I just take my time. I have found in my limited experience the posters have been awesome on this site. I even have new campers asking me questions occasionally. Watching campers can be a hoot, kinda like watching a boat owners first voyage at the boat ramp. I have been lucky usually I have found helpful people while camping. But I have seen some sites.
Clicking the imaginary "LIKE" button!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
You speak as if drinking from a garden hose is a bad thing. Many generations grew up drinking from a hose, and better yet still do to this day. Drinking water from the Well was another drinking outlet. People are way too germaphobic these days.
Well said. As for handling the slinky with bare hands isn't bad either, the outside of the hose doesn't have the stuff on the outside, at least mine doesn't. I don't touch the surfaces that have had stuff on them.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #53

Referring to the timfromma post: and please have a camera ready on a tripod to film for our enjoyment.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #54

conceptumator - what is the bleach to water ratio you use in your spray bottle? That is a great simple idea, thanks for sharing.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #55

Help us please.... DH has switched the size of our TV & getting our trailer in often ruins the first couple hours on site. Have sent him to every site I can think of on how to get in to the site & have (gently) reminded him that the same way he pulled out is the way he should have originally backed in. We are often the entertainment y'all pull up the chair & beer to watch. Next time invite me for a beer so I can just watch too

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I always like the "Gloves Part"! They are many times "Leather" and they use them for "Fresh & Black" Hook Ups,then throw them in the Same area they store Fresh water hoses,to be used Again! Youroo!!
I get a seemingly endless supply of latex gloves from my job. We use them a lot there and I stockpile them especially for camping. Use them twice, once at work then camping and then throw them away!
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
X2 I've drank from a green garden hose for over 50 years, from the spring and the creek. Oh my I'm still here...........

When it rained, we used to float our little boats in the brown dairy cow run-off.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #58

onery, you didn't mention your profession, you're not a Proctologist by chance are you? If so, sometimes once is enough!!! just saying...

Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #59

Quote:
what is the bleach to water ratio you use in your spray bottle? That is a great simple idea, thanks for sharing.
I use the 3-1 ratio on my bleach water. 3-water 1 bleach.Just remember that it doesn't kill bacteria instantly. I spray both ends of my hose when I put them together before storing too. I use the spray every time on the hose bib. I never forget after seeing a guy at Cherry Hill in DC use the hose bib to rinse out his sewer hose at the camping spot. Ran water all over that end of the camp ground.I did say something to him and got the deer in the head light look and was told to go do something that is physically impossible.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #60

last week I saw a camper trying to back his tv and camper around a tight corner with his weight dist bars still on. I was on phone -it was 9pm making a terrible sound of course so I ended my call which I couldnt hear anyways and went over and suggested he take his bars off. I told him I used to pull in to cg take off bars while dw went to the office.I showed him how to take bars easily. he thanked me and brought me a beer the next afternoon.

Tags
camping