Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Dumbest thing I have ever seen while camping.

Had I not watched this with my own eyes I would no have believed it.

Camping last Friday and a rental RV pulls in across the way from us with two couples in it. After watching them try to back in for a few minutes Myself and another camper offered to help. We were told to mind out own business....okay sorry for intruding have a nice day, stop over for a beer later if you like, just trying to be friendly.

So back at my site, guy next to me and I grab a cold one and sit back to watch the show.

Finally get it backed in after 20 minutes. One gentlemen puts on gloves and proceeded to hook up to the sewer. Not sure what the issue is but he hooks up the freshwater hose and proceeds to wash out the sewer hose by placing the freshwater hose 2-3 feet inside and shakes and swirls it around. Gotta make sure those sewer hoses are clean. He then shoves the hose up the sewer connection on the rig a foot or two with the valve open to clear that out. Water flowing all over the ground.

I think we all know what's coming next......

wait for it.............

He hooks the same freshwater hose right up to the RV city water input. Takes off his gloves and with the job well done, heads inside. I'm sur for a nice clean glass of water.....

And people wonder why I only drink beer when camping
Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarman View Post
Had I not watched this with my own eyes I would no have believed it.

Camping last Friday and a rental RV pulls in across the way from us with two couples in it. After watching them try to back in for a few minutes Myself and another camper offered to help. We were told to mind out own business....okay sorry for intruding have a nice day, stop over for a beer later if you like, just trying to be friendly.

So back at my site, guy next to me and I grab a cold one and sit back to watch the show.

Finally get it backed in after 20 minutes. One gentlemen puts on gloves and proceeded to hook up to the sewer. Not sure what the issue is but he hooks up the freshwater hose and proceeds to wash out the sewer hose by placing the freshwater hose 2-3 feet inside and shakes and swirls it around. Gotta make sure those sewer hoses are clean. He then shoves the hose up the sewer connection on the rig a foot or two with the valve open to clear that out. Water flowing all over the ground.

I think we all know what's coming next......

wait for it.............

He hooks the same freshwater hose right up to the RV city water input. Takes off his gloves and with the job well done, heads inside. I'm sur for a nice clean glass of water.....

And people wonder why I only drink beer when camping
Yep! Bingo! That's Why I Never Ever Help! I JUST SMILE AND WAVE!:tri nk39:
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Rule #1 NEVER OFFER TO HELP ANYONE!

Rule #2 Smile & Wave or Wave Your Beer!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #5

Wonder if his water in to the trailer has any aftertaste or taste like it has a little wang to it?

I always sanitize the hose bib before connecting and I use separate hoses for water to the trailer and cleaning the sewer hose. I never put my hose inside of the sewer hose. Geeze!

I never like help backing in, I can do just fine without them. There is no fewer than 3 speaking to me at once, none that I can see in my mirrors or anywhere, but I can hear them.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
Wonder if his water in to the trailer has any aftertaste or taste like it has a little wang to it?

I always sanitize the hose bib before connecting and I use separate hoses for water to the trailer and cleaning the sewer hose. I never put my hose inside of the sewer hose. Geeze!

I never like help backing in, I can do just fine without them. There is no fewer than 3 speaking to me at once, none that I can see in my mirrors or anywhere, but I can hear them.
When In Doubt... Never Help Out!
Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
Site Team

If I were still trying to back into a site after 20 minutes I would welcome help. But then there's only 1 person in my group, not 4.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 AM   #8

Never under estimate the stupidity of people.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #9

I always like the "Gloves Part"! They are many times "Leather" and they use them for "Fresh & Black" Hook Ups,then throw them in the Same area they store Fresh water hoses,to be used Again! Youroo!!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:32 AM   #10

..................... But I did have to help out the guy that got his arm caught in his manual awning........he was in serious pain.......

But my normal saying is no good deed goes unpunished...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
Insert witty title here

I’ll be both dry camping and solo this weekend. Two things I have yet to do with the new TT. I will more than welcome and may even solicit help especially backing in. My TT is 35’ long and this campground has an advertised length limit of only 28’. I had to get special permission from the park manager and book 2 adjacent sites. It’s going to be a tight and awkward place to get my trailer into. Add the fact that I’ve got no co-pilot and this will possibly turn into another thread about dumb things people do with campers.

If anyone happens to find themselves in Kettletown State Park in Danbury, CT this weekend and sees a moron trying to crowbar a TT into a space that’s not meant for something that big, PLEASE help.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #12

If I was having issues I would appreciate help from my camping neighbor! I would not take offense to it.
Actually our 1st trip in our new Gray Wolf over Memorial Day, fellow campers helped out a bit and it was much appreciated.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #13

ignorance is bliss, they properly felt you were raining on their parade, little did they know they were the source of entertainment. There is no cure for stupid and sometimes you just have to let it happen.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #14
Always Learning

To Cigarman, I think you did the right thing by offering help and then not getting offended when they were seemingly less than polite in declining.

You never know the stress someone had with getting to a campground or how their day was. They may not mean to be rude, but sometimes it comes out before you realize it. I feel most people should get a bit of pass at that point.

That said- eww, just eww, on the sewer + fresh water hoses!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #15

Wonder if they use toilet tissue?
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #16

Immune Systems are wonderful things sometimes...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #17

I have not seen that, but I have seen lots of people handling the sewer connections with bare hands. I would wear rubber boots, a face shield and hazmat suit if I thought I wouldn't get laughed out of the campground.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #18

I have lost count of the number of people I have seen using their fresh water hose to clean out their sewer hose. Not sticking it up inside the hose or the connection but still just spraying it is enough to get back spray. Or use a garden hose as their fresh water drinking hose. I never did either of these from the start, no one had to tell me it's a bad thing. Maybe the same sort of people that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom?

As far as help with backing, I had one guy ask if he should park my trailer for me as I was doing the 20 minute work out, the problem was it was his huge pick up blocking where I had to go. When I said that I didn't need help I just needed him to move his truck, he was the one that got indignant and stormed off. Still didn't move his truck and I did get in our spot exactly where I wanted it but would have taken him less time to move his truck than it did for him to storm off and stew about it.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #19

As a newbie and after 20 minutes I would welcome the help! Please don't stop offering to help because of one ungrateful camper.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #20

Couple of things...my dear brother and his wife are terrible at backing in; even after owning a TT for 5 years, they are still terrible, and they end up screaming at each other. I offered to help one time when they camped next to us, and was told that he had been pulling a trailer longer than I and he didn't need any help. Could have fooled me.
Out came the lawn chair and a cold drink , I thought popcorn would be pushing it. They did start talking to each other again after about 1-1/2 hours, so it was all pure free entertainment.

The second thing is my favorite quote. By Voltaire, so stupid has been around for a long time. "Common sense is not all that common." Amen.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping