Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Dump Station at home, is it possible?

Is it possible to create a dump station in my back yard? I have a septic tank system underground in my backyard already so why not add a dump station? (I am not sure that I would want to empty it into the existing septic tank because that would be 30 gallons rushing into a tank that might overwhelm it and potentially cause septic system failure?)
One of the reasons I can think that it would be useful would be that it would come in handy for "dry camping" without having to stop at an RV park and pay for a dump station before returning home. Or when that somewhat undesirable guest stops for a visit and you restrict them to staying in your trailer in the yard, lol.
deattoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

I use a macerated to drain my tanks directly into my septic tank with out problem.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

We also used a macerator to dump into our septic with no issues.
gwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

When folks talk macerators they are talking about something like this. There are several different types on the market but this one gets good reviews.
SewerSolution® System, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

At our cottage I put a saddle T on the sewer pipe going into the septic tank. I installed a 3" PVC pipe to the T and put a screw cap at ground level. When I pull the RV out, I stop by the pipe and dump it. Other wise I have a honey wagon that I pull over to the tank when needed. I can dump all three tanks with no problem.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Failure is my business

I just use the cleanout fitting to dump ours into the septic. Volume-wise, when my wife takes a bath, there is a heck of a lot more water at once than what's left from my black tank after a trip and a few rinses.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Site Team

If you do this be careful what chemicals you use in your holding tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

This may be obvious, but I'm posting it because due to the locations of my septic tank and parking area at home, I couldn't add a dump station. Make sure your new connection goes into the input line to the tank, not the outlet line. If you connect to the outlet side you'll wind up with major smelly problems.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #9

Lots of folks do this with their septic tanks. As long as your leach field is in good shape you should have no problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
When folks talk macerators they are talking about something like this. There are several different types on the market but this one gets good reviews.
SewerSolution® System, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com
I have used the Sewer Solution for nearly 20 years with excellent results. it's fast, easy, small to store and very clean.
One caution, though, is that while it is a macerator, it's a water jet pump powered unit as opposed to an electrical pump device. The difference is that the SS will use water to pump and this is added to the flow of sewage while the electrical pump does not add any water.
For some sewer systems, the added water is a good thing, for others, maybe not so good.
My only data point came from a maintenance guy at a park several years ago, a modern place on a septic system. he said the added water was a good thing and not to worry about it. YMMV
Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

We too use a macerator and a 3/4" hose to our aerobic septic and have for about 3 years.

We park our trailer next to our shop in the back yard and have the 50A plug wired there and use the trailer as a guest house when we are not traveling. Has come in handy several times.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-...ojet+macerator
Old 09-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #12

home i'm selling had a 40x60 pole barn with it's own elec/water & septic. I just tapped into that and it's worked GREAT (even for up to 3 trailers! ).. I DID have a local company (who'd installed it) come and check things first as there wasn't an original permit pulled for that septic system (as was the case for several other IMPROVEMENTS done by the previous owner! NO problems and i grew accustom to having it around. Sure made winterizing & tank cleaning easier as well as the aforementioned 'let's just dump when we get home' trips!
On the other side of the coin, i've been looking in a different area for a home. some that just went from septic to municipal sewer.. and they've SEALED the old septics off. They hit for a 'tap fee' on them i discovered when i asked about the outbuilding with a 1/2 bath in it. I figured i could tap in there. and learned NO way!!! It's in an area that has a large number of lakes.. AND significant agricultural around. Moral of the story being it might pay to check with your local health/building departments and see what the OFFICIAL route to be to do it. At least then you'll know what fines you may get hit with in the future, IF ANY!
I miss mine!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
Site Team

x2 on checking into local codes. My city is super picky & have many restrictions.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

All the above suggestions are valid and require their due consideration but, seem to be quite costly and time consuming.

In my book, this is a much more viable solution!

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #15

That is funny...

On the more useful side, because we boondock all the time (and my wife won't poo in the woods (I do, no issue with me), I have a toilet and shower in the SSi1500 and it needs emptied when we get home and while I have s septic tank, it's not located where the camnper sits so I built one in a very convenient location (next to where the camper sits).

Of course I own a backhoe so digging isn't an issue but you can contract the hole out pretty cheap. I took 3 plastic 55 gallon drums and plumbed them all together near the top with 4" pvc pipe. The final outlet near the top again is 4" flexible perforated black pipe splitting into 3 legs 30 feet long each bedded in gravel and covered with soil, about 6" deep. The inlet is 6" PVC through the top of the first drum with a screw on PVC cap.

I've been using it for 10 years now. The only discernable side effect is the grass grows well and I have a maple tree nearby that grows a couple feet every year...

I add Rid-ex ocassionally, thats it. No shitte...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #16

When we redid out RV Pad next to the house we installed a 50 amp power post and a standard sewer dump that taps into our home septic line. We have running water and it allows us to use the 5ver as a guest house for the occasional out of town visitor.

We live in the unincorporated County and any contribution to the septic is just part of our regular monthly bill. As you can imagine the convenience of an at home dump site is great.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #17

I had my son-in-law dig a hole that was 6" deeper and wider all around and dropped a 55-gallon drum down on top of 6" of gravel, then lined the outside edge of the barrel with 6" of gravel. I was told to do this to keep the dirt from entering the many drainage holes that are poked in it. Within an hour of dumping an almost full black water tank in it [about 40 gallons], it has drained almost all of it out. I put yeast in it each dump, but it doesn't get a chance to do anything.
I told the neighbor it was a grease trap. No more questions. They can't see when I hook up as the TT is between us.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #18

No stinking macerator for me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I had my son-in-law dig a hole that was 6" deeper and wider all around and dropped a 55-gallon drum down on top of 6" of gravel, then lined the outside edge of the barrel with 6" of gravel. I was told to do this to keep the dirt from entering the many drainage holes that are poked in it. Within an hour of dumping an almost full black water tank in it [about 40 gallons], it has drained almost all of it out. I put yeast in it each dump, but it doesn't get a chance to do anything.
I told the neighbor it was a grease trap. No more questions. They can't see when I hook up as the TT is between us.
Problem is, that metal drum will eventually rust. A poly drum will never rust out.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Problem is, that metal drum will eventually rust. A poly drum will never rust out.
I'm 70 years old. It better hurry!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #20

If you can get a 4" line from the existing tank or the line frome your house to the tank while maintaining proper fall ,to the spot on your property where you want the dump station,go for it.But you probably cant.I have three tank/fields for my house and shop, couldnt make any of them work to my satisfaction,so I put in a dedicated tank/field just for the dump station.Best thing I ever did.If you live within a town or city I doubt they will let you do any of the above.I have a small ranch with livestock,am zoned ag,and have a back hoe and dump truck, so I pretty much do whatever I want. Your results or situation may be different.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote