Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #31

Ovair

Many of the campgrounds only have the dump-station on the way out, well away from the campsites. One favorite campground here in NS has no site sewer - only a single dumpstation which would be 1/2 mile away from the campsites. The couple times we camped there we dumped our wash basin in the firepit at our site. Seems this was what most others were doing. I have seen the garden-hose/tall grass method kjoh75 mentioned above also, often on popups.
We will definitely be checking with the admin staff at each of the CG's we will be visiting with the new A-frame but it would be interesting to hear from others who were recently tent or popup campers.

great forum by the way - really enjoy it.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker25 View Post
Ovair
... it would be interesting to hear from others who were recently tent or popup campers.
Granted, I'm in an RV now, but I used to tent camp, then I had a pop-up/slide-in (without tanks). The inconvenience of waste water disposal is one reason (of many) I changed camper types.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Avo Farmer

Hold the gray water

If 200 camp sites dump gray water over a 3 day weekend you will find too many stinky mud holes to pull out through. If I were boondocking and alone a different story.

I go to Mexico with our church group to build houses and there is nothing worse than driving my TV through streets with gray water mud holes. There the garage door houses have no sewer system. The TV even smells when I get back to Calif. 2 days later.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #34

Many people use the hose and dump in tall grass. Also you see a lot of people going over the speed limit. Just because people do it does not make it right. If you were camping beside me and dumped your gray water on the ground you would be reported to the owner of the CG.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #35
Drinkin beer on the beach

hmm, when purchasing my house a couple of years ago, several that I looked at had grey water draining from the laundry room out into the landscaping.

I thought it was a bit hinky then, and I still do. I dump my gray water tank in my side yard, but I also don't have neighbors.

I mean what do you guys think happens with houses on septic systems and leach fields?

I'd be pretty ticked off if I had to drive through or camp in somebody else's gray water puddle... But, out on BLM land in the middle of the sandy desert with nobody in either direction for a mile...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Well, since I started this, tempted to delete it, but there has been some good discussion. I never meant for anyone to dump gray water in a campground, and I never would. A campground is public, and usually has dumping facilities, and these should be used. There are those on here that boon dock, or have private land they own and camp on, that maybe dumping gray water would not hurt. It doesn't bother some, and it does others. I have been in primitive campgrounds, (no hook ups at all) and watched people wash dishes, and then throw the water on the ground. What is the difference? If that is acceptable, then dumping a gray tank should be. (other than being in a campground). Only argument should be volume of water. Then again, a camper with a few food particles in 30 gallons of water verses supper dishes, with food particles in 2 gallons of water.

All I wanted to say, it's not as bad as some may think. I smoke, and there is more litter in cigarette butts on the ground than there might be in a gray tank, as far as the definition of litter goes. (I do my best not to throw cigarette butts on the ground, anywhere.) Good night all, and remember to always to be a good neighbor.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #37
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I smoke, and there is more litter in cigarette butts on the ground than there might be in a gray tank, as far as the definition of litter goes. (I do my best not to throw cigarette butts on the ground, anywhere.) Good night all, and remember to always to be a good neighbor.
This...

You know how many empty beer bottles and beer cans I find everytime I go camping...

I have this favorite little windbreak down San Felipe Wash from SR78, been going there for... 9 years. There is a little copse of trees, filled with human waste and toilet paper.

And people are worried about a little gray water.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #38

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Many people use the hose and dump in tall grass. Also you see a lot of people going over the speed limit. Just because people do it does not make it right. If you were camping beside me and dumped your gray water on the ground you would be reported to the owner of the CG.
.....And I bet you tatle tailed at school alot also!!

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
What is an "IDOT" ?
IDOT= Iowa department of transportation
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #40

....And I bet you tatle tailed at school alot also!! ______

The reason I would report you is I am a working camper. Plus the DW and I are full timers and if you are dumping near me you are dumping at my home.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote