Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Dumping question

We know black tank should be 3/4 full before dumping but if we only stay 1 or 2 nights will the black tank rinser be sufficient to dump tank or do we need to fill it up before?

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Always Learning

If you're hooked up to water, you can just hold the pedal down on the toilet for a few minutes to fill up the black tank before you dump. Basically, you're after that "woosh" of water carrying the solids down the sewer line. I'd then use the black tank rinser if no one was waiting to flush the rest of the crude out of there.

If you're not hooked up to water, then I think you do what you have to. I'd put water into the tank afterwards and then drop a de-stink packet or two into there. (Yes, I'm a chemical user.)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

You can do it both ways,but as most people (Camp) on W/Ends they can use (More) water than if they were extending thier stay for a week+. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I have found that dumping when less than 1/2 requires a minimum of 15 minutes of turboflushing to get undisolved paper and lumps moving and out.

Use a clear elbow and ANY brown tint means there is more to come.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

We would add water by holding down the toilet flusher. I never dump without the tank being at least 1/2 full. Only if we were not able to add water for some reason would we dump with less than 1/2 tank . Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The clear elbow is the key - it really lets you know what's going on in there. I have camping friends who think I'm out of my mind that I watch. They were less than pleased when I invited their 6-year old son over to watch the "poop show"!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Different strokes for different folks... there must be something in the air in Columbia... just kidding. I grew up in Howard County before it was Columbia.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Thats the ticket,put a camera in the side of the black tank,run a remote feed to the Big screen TV in your unit,and the screen in your Tow rig BUC. Then your entire family could watch the (Show). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

Another thought. If you have access to a dump somewhere on the route home, let the tank slosh around for a few miles, the more the better, then dump. I have a public park/campground near by, so when we are heading home I stop by there and dump. They don't charge, or haven't so far but I would pay a reasonable amount to use the station.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Thats the ticket,put a camera in the side of the black tank,run a remote feed to the Big screen TV in your unit,and the screen in your Tow rig BUC. Then your entire family could watch the (Show). Youroo!!

Got POPCORN?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Different strokes for different folks... there must be something in the air in Columbia... just kidding. I grew up in Howard County before it was Columbia.
Before we get too far offtopic - I'm a HoCo/Columbia transport. I grew up in southern/central Pennsylvania and only moved here about 12 years ago (wow, can't believe it's been that long!). So, I blame the hills of PA for my unique-ness.

And now, everyone... back on topic.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just one quick reply. I'm located in S/CP myself. Artemas PA.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #13

My grandparents live close to me and have camped all their married lives(celebrating 50 years this Saturday ) My grandfather had a sewer access installed in his front yard at the edge of the street so he can pull his 5er up and dump the tank if needed when they get home from camping if they can't use the dump station at the campground. I use it some times if I don't have access to a dump station or need to slosh the tank around to get the solids to dissolve.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
My grandparents live close to me and have camped all their married lives(celebrating 50 years this Saturday ) My grandfather had a sewer access installed in his front yard at the edge of the street so he can pull his 5er up and dump the tank if needed when they get home from camping if they can't use the dump station at the campground. I use it some times if I don't have access to a dump station or need to slosh the tank around to get the solids to dissolve.
I'm a Zoning Adm. in the Town where I live right now, It would be a big fine $$$$$ using a cleanout to dump here. It is always best to check, some city's or towns permit it but here it is a NO NO....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I'm a Zoning Adm. in the Town where I live right now, It would be a big fine $$$$$ using a cleanout to dump here. It is always best to check, some city's or towns permit it but here it is a NO NO....
I wonder why the fine - the sewage is still going to the septic tank or sewer system regardless of how it gets there.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I wonder why the fine - the sewage is still going to the septic tank or sewer system regardless of how it gets there.
In town you are required to be hooked to the Town sewer system, You pay by the # of gals used by the water bill. You and I both know that all water that go'd through a meter is not going down the sewer, such as watering your grass. Without a town adding a meter to monitor the sewage use they use the water consumption this is very typical ord. in any town with a sewer plant. Now saying that if you have a septic system at your home that would be different. You could dump what you want into it. What was said that a clean-out was installed at the street, I do not know why a clean out would be at the street if you where on a septic system? being most septic systems are behind the house not under the street. All I'm saying is that you need to check out your situation and hook-up to either a Town system or septic....A lot of people do that without knowing the law. If caught here in Clarksville it's a misdemeanor and a large fine. I was just at a call where a complint was that a guy bought a new TT and someone seen a hose connected to the TT. Well anyway I found that it was a water hose and not sewer drain. ......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
B47

Makes sense to me now

thanks for the explanation.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

just started using a clear elbow a while back
makes it all so easy
to see exactly what is going on
or
should I say
going down

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote