Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

Dumping Station Etiquette question

Another newbie question - we are just now geeting into the congested camping season, and have seen campers lined up to use the dumping stations. We like to hose out the black tank before heading on down the road as there are no dumping stations near our house. So the question is...if there are people backed up to use the station, is it rude to make them sit and wait while we dump AND clean the tanks....?
CubFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #2

IMO, I think it is fine, as others are there for the same reason, especially if you are paying for it.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM   #3

depends on where you are at and how long the line is. in most state parks here in texas there is only 1 dump station with 1 sewer dump. a few have 2 sewer dumps. I know I get a bit annoyed while waiting if I see someone repeatedly fill and dump using something like a flushking. now those with the tornados it really doesn't take all that long so it's no major. it's those that repeatedly fill and dump that get to me.

while I like to use my flushking I usually don't in those situations. I'll dump the black and then use the galley and then grey tanks to do quick backflushes of the black. then finish dumping the galley and grey tanks.

my 2 cents...........
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
depends on where you are at and how long the line is. in most state parks here in texas there is only 1 dump station with 1 sewer dump. a few have 2 sewer dumps. I know I get a bit annoyed while waiting if I see someone repeatedly fill and dump using something like a flushking. now those with the tornados it really doesn't take all that long so it's no major. it's those that repeatedly fill and dump that get to me.

while I like to use my flushking I usually don't in those situations. I'll dump the black and then use the galley and then grey tanks to do quick backflushes of the black. then finish dumping the galley and grey tanks.

my 2 cents...........
That makes sense, what is your opinion if you are paying for it? Here in California there is not to many free ones anymore.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinwood View Post
That makes sense, what is your opinion if you are paying for it? Here in California there is not to many free ones anymore.
As in, I'm paying X dollars to dump?

Take all the flippin time I need.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
As in, I'm paying X dollars to dump?

Take all the flippin time I need.
LMAO........Yes, most charge over here, thanks!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #7

We've been parking at Core sights, so no charge to dump. We usually dump the black first, then the gray, and then run water down the toilet to clear out that tank and clear out the hose, etc. Someone told us that if we add 2 cups of white vinegar to the black tank that it would keep it clean enough to dump fast, but I have my doubts about that...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan20 View Post
We've been parking at Core sights, so no charge to dump. We usually dump the black first, then the gray, and then run water down the toilet to clear out that tank and clear out the hose, etc. Someone told us that if we add 2 cups of white vinegar to the black tank that it would keep it clean enough to dump fast, but I have my doubts about that...
As stated earlier, you may want to put in a Tornado, after I installed mine
, IT IS A SNAP, you could get them at Wally world 25-30 bucks. Let that thing run. The sensor actually show empty!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #9

we always take teh time to flush good, but if the line is real long, i may forgo the tornado thingy and just wash my hose real good.

i gauge the line as we are hoking up to leave if possible and then fill up the tanks while still at the site
then do a few short stops on the way to the dump station, that way everything is shook up so to speak and flows on out.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #10

I agree with powerboatr fill tanks at camp site and swish them on the way then dump at dump station. I had some sewer work done at home last year on main sewer line and i had them install a 4in clean out by the road while they where replacing the line kinda handy when i need to clean my tank really good
Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #11

Another Idea, I have been In a camp site that was not a full hook-up, just water and electric, if the dump station is backed up with campers, I look for a full hook-up site that is empty. I back in and do my thing.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to MaxRock
rockwood06,

You are not alone, I've done that as well. Allows for a leisure dumping process...if that is possible.

I do hook up my tornado as soon as I get to the dump station and let it run while dumping the black water tank. The continue to let it run while dumping the gray & galley tanks. Dump the black one more time while running the tornado. Backfill the black water tank for a few, then shut off the water and disconnect the tornado. Hook the hose to the flushking and clean out the dump hose, then pack up and leave it for the next guy.

MaxRock

'02 Chevy 2500HD 415k miles as of Dec-18
DMax/ZF-6 Speed, CCLB, 0-70-110 HP VA Tuner, 5" exhaust, H2 Tires/Chrome Wheels (315x70-17),
B&W GN hitch and 5th Wheel Companion, BrakeSmart Brake Controller
MaxRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #13

A funny thing happen one time, I just pulled in to an empty site to dump and in the middle of the dump a new person had pulled up and was looking at me like I was crazy, well guess what ........ I was in his spot, it was no problem he just thought I was late getting off the site.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
RJW

Courtesy goes a long way, as does timing, If ya try and leave early am the dump station is likely gonna be busy, as is right at check out time.

No problem if using a recently vacated full hookup site either, I like the idea of after a week of conservation of water in the black tank to fill it with water and allowing the sloshing enroute to the dump to help speed things along.

I like to start a trip with several toilet bowls of water, a little calgon or downey in the black tank, and dont be too stingy when flushing during the trip, solids need liquids to break down so they can drain, being too conservative with flush water will create big problems with buildup solids

best sequence, dump black, dump gry rinse black while gry is dumping, dump black, rinse hose and go.

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #15

Thanks all for the tips. I know it'll be an interesting 1st year with the TT! LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #16

Good luck to you and your family, enjoy yourself it is fun.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #17

Just think of the Tank dumping scene in RV the Movie and hope it Never happens to you
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #18

With 4 kids that use rolls of toilet paper and add little water after, if I am using the dump station I make sure that for the most part my black tank is flushed clean. I have had one major sewer plugging problem and that was enough for me.
(purchasing a Tornado flush tomorrow - sounds like a good product)

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #19

remember to open the drain valves when flushing with the tornados, geysers or no fun. enjoy camping
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #20

I dump the grey and then black tanks while DW fills sinks and toilet.
then we dump them. When I get home I flush until clean. Part of routine as we put things away.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote