Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Rookie

Dumping tanks into home sewer?

My house uses the county sewage system and there's a sewer "trap vent" in front of my house that is easily accessible. I've searched for answers, but am coming up short.

Can I dump my black and gray tanks into this vent? I would use a Macerator system for easy flow (looking at the Sani-Con Turbo 300), just want to make sure I'm not going to mess up my sewer system in any way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0909191041.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	214504  

Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

Honestly ? I couldn't see where that would be a problem. Others may have some reasons, but I can't think of any.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

Since you are using the sewage treatment facility I cannot see an issue other than if there is any spillage that can happen sometimes. I have been told that houses on a septic tanks shouldn't due this because the chemicals we use to squash the smell can kill the necessary bacterias in the septic tank. I am no expert in the sewage field, but that is what I was told.LOL
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
Since you are using the sewage treatment facility I cannot see an issue other than if there is any spillage that can happen sometimes. I have been told that houses on a septic tanks shouldn't due this because the chemicals we use to squash the smell can kill the necessary bacterias in the septic tank. I am no expert in the sewage field, but that is what I was told.LOL

This was true when everyone used the blue chemical loaded with Formaldehyde. Most Black Tank Chemicals today are usually marked "Septic Safe".

As for dumping where suggested in opening post, if certain it goes to the main sewer line, go for it. Vent lines can't be used for pernanent hookups but for an occaisonal "dump" everything ends up in the same place.

Might be a good idea to flush the line with some clear water after dumping black tank to make sure all the "smelly stuff" goes down the drain and doesn't sit in an area that isn't regularly flushed from daily use.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Site Team

It can be done but you might want to check with your public utility as in some areas this is not allowed as the sewage fee is based on water usage (water meter).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

We have been using SewerSolution to dump our tanks into a clean-out access in our yard. It has worked great except for the one time a guest flushed a "flushable" wipe - NOT a good experience. Only concern in your situation is the height of your vent - the SewerSolution will flow uphill, but I'm not sure how high it would go.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #7

If you live in a town with very strict regulations, it might be a problem. But normally, you should not have a problem. By the way, many municipalities do not allow these vents and some municipalities require them. In the majority of municipalities that require these vents, it’s location so near a window, does not meet code.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses. I now have another question; is the Sani-Con system worth the extra $200+ over the Sewer Solution system?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #9

I would not recommend dumping into a trap vent. This pipe is meant for airflow to keep the system from creating a vacuum lock in the pipes. It needs to be clear. Not even if you plan to liquify the waste first. Instead, find your home's clean-out and dump there if it is easily accessible.

In our previous home I made a dump station by tapping into the main line to our septic tank, saddled it with a T and came up with a pipe with a threaded cap. But this may not be something you can do being on a county system without getting the OK, permit, or even a licensed plumber depending on local codes.

Here at our current home I put in a dump station during our build, complete with sloped concrete around it to funnel any spills.

It would probably be a good idea to check with your county first before investing in that macerator....
Old 09-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
Instead, find your home's clean-out and dump there if it is easily accessible.

Clean-outs work great. I've used them at two houses and what's nice, you open it, insert your macerator hose, empty and flush your tank, replace clean-out cap, and nobody is the wiser. Nor permission needed.

I've even used 1-1/2 inch "Pump discharge hose", the blue stuff that rolls up flat like fire hose with an adapter on the trailer discharge and an adapter to fit the clean-out. As long as it's downhill from TT to clean-out this works great and the hose is relatively inexpensive.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank