Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If they are the tires the manuf installed on the trailer. YES I would put them at 50 psi. as it reads on the tire.
I would check them every time you leave for a trip and never guess.
Good luck and glad to see someone listening.
I am listening and thanks for the info - its clear now - was kinda unsure cause never checked them before and I dont want to have any issues with the trailer
the tires I have are the Karrier Load Stars - let me know how the Duro hold up - when I am ready to upgrade I will spend the extra for the better tire

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #12

Update July 12, 2011

I have over 10,000 miles on my DURO tires and have had no blowouts or leaks. As I said earlier I do check them more then most and maintain 50 psi all the time.

I have driven long distances in the blazing sun of Arizona and they are wearing evenly. I have cruised at 70 mph for many hours and they still are great.

I can not answer about others but I still think most people need to check cold tire pressures whenever you are travelling in the mornings. Did you know different altitudes change tire pressure? Yes it does.

2010 - 20 days camping
2011 - 43 days camping

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #13
Proud Member

Pressure to 50 PSI? Why not 60 PSI?

I really have no intention of hijacking this thread. But I see a lot of talk in this thread about 50 PSI and a maximum speed of 65 miles per hour. I concur that is the specification for ST trailer tires. But get a load of this memo from Goodyear.

Read the note on the lower right corner of the very last page: http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/pr...Brochure_P.pdf

It says:
IMPORTANT OPERATING INFORMATION
Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST (Special Trailer) designation are speed restricted to 65 mph under normal inflation and load conditions, unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.
  • Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
  • If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
  • The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
Am I reading this right? It says ST tires are rated for 65 MPH at 50 PSI, but 75 MPH at 60 PSI. So, if you want to go fast, why not increase your ST tire pressure to 60 PSI? How can one say that 60 PSI is too much pressure for an ST-category when the manufacturer recommends it? (Yes, I understand that the rims must be rated for 60 PSI first.)

As for me, I sometimes get up to 70 MPH towing my TT. So, I run my ST tires at 55 PSI.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #14

I'm thinking of putting drag slicks on mine
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #15

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Didn't you answer your own question?? DURO tires are on most FR products. The tire's also say MAX pressure 50psi(at least my DURO tires say this).So I don't increase them even too 55psi. This is a GOODYEAR memo, not DURO. I would do as it says, if your tire states on the sidewall a MAX pressure of 50psi dont over-inflate the tire because of this memo.....it clearly states not to over-inflate your tire to get to the 60psi range (thus fast running speeds). DURO's are rated for a max pressure of 50psi...period !

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Some good info.

Trailer Tires 101

Link won't connect. It trys to go to TrailerLife site, which, I believe, is now "dead".

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Didn't you answer your own question?? DURO tires are on most FR products.
My FR trailer came from the factory with Goodyear ST tires.

Quote:
This is a GOODYEAR memo, not DURO.
Correct. And the opening statement is "Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST (Special Trailer) designation...". Clearly Goodyear is referring to an unidentified standard for the ST tire, not their own design standards. Is it your belief that Duro doesn't manufacture their ST tires to industry standards? If your answer is yes, I would agree that this memo is not relevant to Duro ST tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
I really have no intention of hijacking this thread.
In retrospect, I should have never posted this here. Sorry everyone. In an attempt to stay on the general subject of the thread....

Trailer tires must be fully inflated to their maximum pressure in order to hold their maximum rated load. If the tires are designed to industry standards, they will withstand measurable overpressure due to an increase in operating temperature. So, a tire inflated to 50 PSI cold that heats to 52.5 PSI after driving down the highway for a while is just fine. However, operating the tire in excess of 65 MPH does not appear to be advisable. unless of course....all right, I'm not going there. (Please see my previous post)
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Didn't you answer your own question?? DURO tires are on most FR products. The tire's also say MAX pressure 50psi(at least my DURO tires say this).So I don't increase them even too 55psi. This is a GOODYEAR memo, not DURO. I would do as it says, if your tire states on the sidewall a MAX pressure of 50psi dont over-inflate the tire because of this memo.....it clearly states not to over-inflate your tire to get to the 60psi range (thus fast running speeds). DURO's are rated for a max pressure of 50psi...period !

Not all Duro's are rated for 50 psi. Some are rated at higher pressures. It depends on your ply rating. So yes, do what it says on your tire.
See link to Duro website.

Duro Tire
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
Am I reading this right? It says ST tires are rated for 65 MPH at 50 PSI, but 75 MPH at 60 PSI. So, if you want to go fast, why not increase your ST tire pressure to 60 PSI? How can one say that 60 PSI is too much pressure for an ST-category when the manufacturer recommends it? (Yes, I understand that the rims must be rated for 60 PSI first.)

As for me, I sometimes get up to 70 MPH towing my TT. So, I run my ST tires at 55 PSI.
That is the way I read it, and that statement has been on their website for a while.....not just recent.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #20

My tires are ST225/75R15 6 ply, 50 psi. 2,150 lbs max load

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman06 View Post
Not all Duro's are rated for 50 psi. Some are rated at higher pressures. It depends on your ply rating. So yes, do what it says on your tire.
See link to Duro website.

Duro Tire

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote