Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Dynamic Tire Balancers

Has anyone tried these? Never balance your tire again?

Quote:
Their purpose is to provide a “dynamic” onboard solution to balance the wheel, tire, and running gear through the centrifugal force produced while they roll down the road. The “Dynamic” part means that the weight in the ring is movable and can adjust its position to accommodate the everchanging conditions of the running gear. As the weighted shot shifts its position inside the hollow ring, it counteracts an unbalanced situation.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

I haven't. Asked my tire guy about them and he said not to.. said it only balances the tire at higher speed and he's seen issues with that..

Honestly, personally i don't have an opinion. He just advised me not to do it. Interested to see what others think.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Rookie

I would guess, just like a car/truck, the best practice is to have the tires balanced when installed and periodically there after
Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #4

YES. I ran them on my 2006 Ram. I special ordered my ram, and already had the balancers before the truck got here. on way home the truck had a wheel vibration (tire out of balance). AS soon as it got home I pulled the wheels and put the balancers on (did not remove wheel weights) and the vibration went away. Than every year I would mount my own snow tires and never balance tires. in 2012 I put brand new tires on truck, mounted myself, never balanced, those things work great.

But the are not cheep.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

These "Dynamic Balancers" have been around forever. Sometimes they work, most times not.

Tire/Wheel balancing is more complex than most realize. Picture a tire on a wheel, viewed directly into the face of the tread. None are perfect and there is usually a heavier portion. If this virtual tire/wheel is free to rotate the heavy spot will be at the bottom. These dynamic balancer's only work properly when the weight on this virtual tire is evenly distributed from side to side.

The usual condition in a tire is that the imbalance is distributed unevenly. To balance the tire and wheel modern "Computer Balancers" for all practical purposes separate the tire into two half's, an inside and outside half. Each one is balanced separately using different sized weights.

This cancels out the "Hop" often called the "Static Imbalance" and the "Wobble", the "Dynamic Imbalance"

To correct for the dynamic imbalance weights can often be placed in opposing positions on inside and outside of rim. These "Bolt On Balsncers" can only correct the "Static Imbalance".

They can also cause severe issues if driven on rough roads or the driver hits a pothole. The moving weights in the "balancer" are dislodged momentarily and can create a severe imbalance issue that can cause anything from merely uncomfortable moments to dangerous steering issues.

Usually when one has tires/wheels balanced and still has vibration issues one or more of the following conditions is present:

Improperly seated tire
Bent/out of round wheel
Out of round tire
Wheel not centered on hub

and last but not least, Non Uniform Tire. Tire may look round when spun on wheel balancer but when it rolls down the highway with weight on it it doesn't "roll round". Only real cure for this is to index the tire to the wheel, mounting it so the high or stiff spot matches the low spot on the wheel. New balancers were introduced about 20 years ago that allowed tire installers to actually measure tire uniformity on the wheel before balancing. Later models actually allow the installer to match specific wheels that will provide the smoothest ride.

If you watch the balancing process at your tire shop you can identify balancers that measure the "Force Variation" on a mounted tire by it's large drum that is forced against the tire while it's turning.

In the wheel balancing industry there's a saying. "You can balance a Coca-Cola crate but you can't make it ride smooth".

Bolt on balancers won't fix tire problems.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post

I've been using Dyna beads in my tires for over 15 yrs . there are other brands these are ceramic beads that go inside the tire . For my motorcycle i use about 3oz per tire in my truck i use 6oz . i have my tire shop mount and balance the tire to see if there is lateral imbalance then add any weight to correct that . then the brake a bead on the tire and throw in a pack of dyna beads reseal the tire and away i go . never have to balance the tires again for the life of the tire . I will go into my shop of rotations and they don't have to be re balanced ever . won't ever runs with out them . If you get mud or rocks the beads keep the tire balanced at all times highly recommend.. the balancer in your link is not something I've used
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
Brake is on left

I have not used that but.... You have to have more weight the closer it is to the axis of rotation to do the same job as less weight further out. Seeing as my wheels take 6oz to balance, I would just do it the tried and true way. Just had new tires put on a few months ago. Had them RFB at the truck stop.
I have used Dynabeads with great success on the smaller tires for the cargo trailer. The 32" G rated on the TT are more like tractor trailer tires. Have to put a gallon of beads in there. Lol.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
I have not used that but.... You have to have more weight the closer it is to the axis of rotation to do the same job as less weight further out. Seeing as my wheels take 6oz to balance, I would just do it the tried and true way. Just had new tires put on a few months ago. Had them RFB at the truck stop.
I have used Dynabeads with great success on the smaller tires for the cargo trailer. The 32" G rated on the TT are more like tractor trailer tires. Have to put a gallon of beads in there. Lol.

That's why the dyna beads work so well they are lose inside the tire and when the tire spins they are on the the outer part of the tire . the dynamic part is they collect where the weight is needed at all times . my truck tires are small 245/75/16 and they work like a charm
Old 11-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

Seems like I remember my uncle who worked at a freight company talking about putting lead shot in commercial trailer tires back in the 70's. I have no idea if any of these products are a good idea though.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Seems like I remember my uncle who worked at a freight company talking about putting lead shot in commercial trailer tires back in the 70's. I have no idea if any of these products are a good idea though.
Lead shot in a tubeless tire is not a great idea. The hard shot can abrade the inner liner leading to eventual tire failure (air in tire body = separation).

The "balancing beads" are usually a softer polymer that doesn't damage the inner liner.

That said, for decades patches containing powdered lead/shot were installed inside large truck tires that were severely out of balance. A relatively small lead filled patch installed at the inner perimeter of the tire had a far greater effect than a huge truck wheel weight attached at the rim. Often done with retreads.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
dyna beads and other approved balance beads have been in use for decades . DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

Tags
tire