Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #11

"Ethanol is the biggest fraud ever pulled on the taxpayer. Made a lot of people rich, though. Just not us."
AMEN!
Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

My quick search on the web found that generac and cummins/onan do not recomend using e85.

Also found that many other countrys have been using it for many, many years.

Also e85 is somewhere in the 105 octane range, so lower ignition point=cooler engine, burns cleaner, less valve burn and overall engine longevity(if designed for it e85) because of this, much like propane and cng. Because of the higher octane you get less mpg. The research I saw said about 5-15% decrease in mileage.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

I also bet that most people with flex fuel vehicles have not used e85. Most vehicles manuf. now are flex fuel(we have 1), and in my area I would bet that over 90% have never had e85 in them, mainly from lack of availability.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #14

You aren't factoring in the increase in maintenance either. If I run my Tundra on E85 more than half the time, my oil change interval drops to 2500 miles instead of 5000 on regular gas. That kills the pocket book and for me the idea of running E85.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Because of the higher octane you get less mpg. The research I saw said about 5-15% decrease in mileage.
That is not entirely true.

E85 gets worse mileage than premium gasoline, as well as midgrade and regular gasoline. Octane ratings donít have a direct impact on fuel economy, and premium isnít necessarily a better fuel for your car if it doesnít require the high-grade fuel. It is the energy density that impacts fuel economy.
E85, which is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent regular gasoline, has a lower energy density than regular gasoline; a car has to burn more E85 to go the same distance as a car with regular gasoline, which means worse fuel economy. This is akin to how diesel has more energy density than gas and as such better mileage than gas.

E85 does however allow a properly designed engine produce some big power. For example anyone remember Ford's Super Stallion.

Ford's 590-Hp Super Stallion - Exclusive Test - American Car - Motor Trend Magazine

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Don't think op asked about any of this.
Sasks- That was just what info I had found.

I have done extensive reserch on cng and I believe that e85 would function roughly the same. The ignition point is different between 100% gas, e85 and cng. If 1 spark plug designed to run optimaly with 100% gas, will not be as efficient as one intended for the other fuels. So for optimal efficency your ignition system needs to be dialed in to use 1 fuel 100% of the time. Anything else and you will have compromises.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #17

Based on all this info you have furnished, wouldn't one think the auto folks factored in the E85 and gas differences to allow the engine to compensate. Sure the MPG will be lower but that's the tradeoff with using gas vs E85. I sorta agree that the powers to be were trying to help the environment but as the govt does these days they might not have thought it through...enough. The bottom line is a moral one for each person to decide..environment vs non-environment. Myself I am not sure yet. I do not have the $$$ to spend on E85 over the long run with less MPG but then again we all have to do something to support a better earth. I am not a tree hugger but a person who wants to support what is right fort all of us.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkats66 View Post
The bottom line is a moral one for each person to decide..environment vs non-environment. Myself I am not sure yet. I do not have the $$$ to spend on E85 over the long run with less MPG but then again we all have to do something to support a better earth. I am not a tree hugger but a person who wants to support what is right fort all of us.
That's just the thing, as corn-based ethanol is no better for the environment than regular gasoline, and it also uses valuable farmland that should be used for food production. That results in higher costs for food, which means there is less money available for other things, like helping the environment.
Funny how the world works!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #19

My 2012 Chevy 4500 is not rated for E-85. And the generator definitely will not run on E-85. Use regular 87 octane gas.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #20

I have run E85 in my 1500 Silverado. I get 15-20% less MPG when I use it. The price is usuall around 10% less than gas, so I generally stay away from it unless the difference is is %20 or more. I don't think I would ever tow with it.