Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Easy Affordable DirecTV on the go

This is my DirectTV Satellite set-up. Very easy and very affordable. Note, I have modified the LNB Arm to be folded in for more space. All the units can be purchased on line, for about $300. I have the service at home, so I only pay for the extra HD Receiver. Or take the one from home. I hope the pics are self explanatory. But I'll be glad to answer your questions. Enjoy!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	179433Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	179434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	179435Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	179436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	179441Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	179442Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	179443Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	179444Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	179445Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	179446
charlie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #2

More I'd have to carry I used my MS Surface, ATT MIFI and a wireless connection to the TV via the Direct TV app. Works for us and I don't have to haul the satellite.

mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #3

What do they call that... BUZZKILL.

THanks for the info Charlieg!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #4

First, welcome to the forum, Charlie g, and thank you for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
More I'd have to carry I used my MS Surface, ATT MIFI and a wireless connection to the TV via the Direct TV app. Works for us and I don't have to haul the satellite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
X2
How are these comments relative to the OP’s post? The OP took the time to post his solution for DirecTv SATELLITE, which is helpful for those who are interested in satellite, and these comments have absolutely nothing to do with satellite.

The OP’s solution is much more versatile for receiving DirecTv than the methods you have suggested where you are required to have a good internet connection. While the App he mentions requires an internet connection, it doesn’t require the amount of bandwidth that streaming requires. Besides, the App isn’t essential for his application, so there really is no need for any internet connection whatsoever.

Before shooting down the OP’s idea by posting what you think is better because that’s how you do it, why don’t you just consider thanking him for the advice and move along — or just say nothing at all? Perhaps you could just start your own thread about how you do it so people can then let you know what’s wrong with your idea.

Also, it would be friendly and polite to welcome this new member to the forum.

Just sayin’

Bruce
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
First, welcome to the forum, Charlie g, and thank you for the advice!

How are these comments relative to the OP’s post? The OP took the time to post his solution for DirecTv SATELLITE, which is helpful for those who are interested in satellite, and these comments have absolutely nothing to do with satellite.

The OP’s solution is much more versatile for receiving DirecTv than the methods you have suggested where you are required to have a good internet connection. While the App he mentions requires an internet connection, it doesn’t require the amount of bandwidth that streaming requires. Besides, the App isn’t essential for his application, so there really is no need for any internet connection whatsoever.

Before shooting down the OP’s idea by posting what you think is better because that’s how you do it, why don’t you just consider thanking him for the advice and move along — or just say nothing at all? Perhaps you could just start your own thread about how you do it so people can then let you know what’s wrong with your idea.

Also, it would be friendly and polite to welcome this new member to the forum.

Just sayin’

Bruce
Welcome!

Old 07-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Welcome.

Mzodarg
Great suggestion. I've been thinking of switching wireless and home internet carriers. I may try your route.
jbrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

We have a winegaurd , and use the box from house , standard no hd. I put the sat location app on our tablet , some time's trees get in the way and if I can find a hole I can at least get 101 sat . I heard that direct may stop standard TV and only have hd . That would leave a lot of people with unusable equipment . Us rv people would not be happy . That would be a direct mistake .
fred+sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred+sherry View Post
That would be a direct mistake .
We’ve been Directv customers since 1995. For this mistake, we switched to DISH. HD is included. Cheaper to use since we now use streaming only at home.
rvfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #9

My setup is similar except I use dish pointer pro app. and I replaced the nuts on the dish with wing nuts so no tools are required.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
learning new tricks

sat tv

i solved the problem. we have no tv in the camper. grandaughter asked "what do you do?" i told her we read books. her look was priceless. lol
scirocco1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
Living the Dream

I have this same set up. I need HELP. I can never get the satellite single. I have almost the same single gauge you do. I have tried for hours to get a signal but haven't had any luck. I bought a dongle mirror cast from Amazon and use it and the Ap. I want to be able to use my DVR and record the shows I miss. We enjoy sitting outside during primetime TV. We had rather catch up on our shows during the heat of the day when being outside is not for us.
What would be the best way to acquire the signal.

Thanks Hog and Sheshe

Go Hogs!
TheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrobson View Post
Welcome.

Mzodarg
Great suggestion. I've been thinking of switching wireless and home internet carriers. I may try your route.
It works great. Some here thought I was "Buzz killing" the OP, wasn't my intent. I carry enough crap when we are camping, I'm no spring chicken and thought I would suggest an alternative.

So far the method I described has worked every time. I also have a Roku on the main TV and use the wireless MIFI for that as well. ATT has been reliable. I have an unlimited 5G plan, works for us.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #13

Absolutely Correct Bruce.
With WIFI YOU CANT GET ALL the direct tv channels.
I have both at home I use direct tv most of the time and use Smart TV WiFi to watch movies etc.
I believe most people use a Sat Antenna while RVing.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
Gold Tee Box

Don't tell anyone else about this or they will overload the ATT cellular network.

We have this ATT wifi at home which also includes our Home Phone number which all comes in wireless from the local ATT tower.

We take it with us, along with a phone plugged in so we have everything just like at home all over the country. We don't have to compete with others for campground wifi which is never enough bandwidth.

Now we have plenty of bandwidth for our DirecTv programming which we can view on our laptops, smart phones, etc. and connect to a larger screen with an HDMI cable.

No dishes, no tree issues, no tripods.
Attached Images

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco1976 View Post
i solved the problem. we have no tv in the camper. grandaughter asked "what do you do?" i told her we read books. her look was priceless. lol

If I didn’t have a tv DW would stay home. DW is the head of finance so if DW stayed home I would be home.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #16
learning new tricks

tv

dw has i-pad and she is happy. we have enough data to go pretty much anywhere and if we have a signal we have wi-fi. you just have to pay for it. just like everything else.
scirocco1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

Well Done!

For those of us who are tech-challenged your blow-by-blow pics are very useful. We are still using an old DTV Carryout and of course we cannot get HD Your pics made us decide to give this a try!
WELCOME!

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford