Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #41

Thanks gerry,
Looks like your on top of it. I don't have any first hand knowledge of 5'er pin weights, just what I've read on these forums. Looks like you've checked everything out.

I'm glad to see that Ford is adding options to make the truck a truck and not just more fancy bells and whistles.

I was mainly looking at the 250's because of their payload capacities, but it looks like the 150's with the MTP can handle what I have and more.

Again thanks for the info. It has helped me alot.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #42

Your welcone.

Just make sure you verify my conclusions youself.
fords website has all this info but it is not all in the same place.

the 150 and super duty sites have the info in different locations
on the site.

gerry
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #43

to GRhodes:

Since i last posted I have come up with somemore info I did not know.

There is one other configuration that allows the Max WEIGHT package
to be intalled on f-150.

It is regular cab/superCAB 5.5 shortbed. this also can have
Max Weight with the max tow and makes 8200 pounds GVWR. would need
a slider hitch.

this is in additon to 8 ft. bed I told you about earlier.

I do not know why they will not do it with 6.5 bed.

Just wanted to correct what i posted.

gerry

gerr
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #44
ATV Junkie

Keep in mind that the bigger trucks are built to stand the loads.

Just because that F150 can tote <insert x weight> what it claims and possibly stop everything safely, there's still componets that are not built to withstand that kind of abuse.

The HD's, SD's and Dodge 3/4 ton and up trucks are built with heavier suspensions and more capable drive trains.

Not knocking on the F150 - it's been the best selling truck since dirt for a reason.

IMO, of course.
1966 A-Code Mustang Coupe. Many Mods. (sold)
2006 Arctic Cat 650H1 - Many Mods.
2007 Suzuki Vinson 500. Many Mods.
3 Dogs.
Sampson: 1999-2009. R.I.P buddy. See you on the other side.

28 Nights in -'09.
Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #45

gerrym51,

Thanks for the additional info. It's good to know you have some options with the MTP.

Since I have a tt and not a 5'er, I am not concerned with the length of the bed. I noticed you mentioned a 5½' bed. Isn't that the size they put on CC? I thought that the RC & SC came with either the 8' or 6½' beds.

bulldog66,

I do not own an '09 Ford with the MTP, but from what I'm reading they really are a step up from a normal ½ ton. redtang02, the op of this thread, should be able to provide first hand info.

There is no doubt that ¾ ton will out haul & pull a ½ ton, but when you have a tt like mine and your tv is your everyday vehicle, it's nice to know that there is an option that is better than a normal ½ ton without having to step up to a ¾ ton. If everything I'm reading is correct then I believe Ford has accomplished this by adding the MTP to their ½ ton line.

I guess it's time to go and see for myself. I have looked at the inventories on line of the close by dealerships but have been unable to locate one with the MTP. I'm in no hurry, I'll just keep looking until I find the one I want.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #46

Hey Grhodes50, I have been towing more with the new '09 F150 and it has been doing great. I was in a hilly area in ohio and had no problems and i got around 7.8 mpg. When I went looking for a truck the dealer had to locate one for me from another dealer and had it shipped in. My SC came in a 6.5 ft bed and even though I wanted the 5.5 ft, the extra length has been nice. The only item on the truck I did not like was the tires ( P metric). When it is time for new I will look into a beefier tire.
I agree with bulldog66 with his view. But if you look how the new F150 is built (dealer had big display in showroom) with the new frame, bigger bolts, beefier springs, 320 horse motor and 6 speed transmission, it is it is not like the old F150's. (I have had an F150 of some sort for 32 years) I am very happy with the set up I have now.
redtang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #47

We tow our 5ver Cat with F150 supercrew. Standard bed is 5.5 foot. But if you want the heavy tow package you have to get the 6.5 bed. We love ours
We also have F350 PSD Real overkill, and the ride compared to the Supercrew is not that good. Now the only thing we did on the F150 was add Firestone ride rite air bags so we could keep our headlites in the proper location as not to blind the oncoming traffic.The hitch is standard reese rail type, no slider. The truck does wonderful no complaints. About 11000.0miles with the cat hooked up in 9states flat and hills. I love my Ford and also avarage mpg is 9.5 overall. Happy Camping.
2005 F350 PSD dully
In Missouri
N0INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #48

Hey GRhodes, we just came back from white water rafting in West Virginia. The 09 Super Crew did great!! Had enough power on the hills that I was gaining speed up the mountains instead of slowing down. I averaged around 8 to 9 MPG. Just giving you an update. Take care.
redtang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtang02 View Post
Hey GRhodes, we just came back from white water rafting in West Virginia. The 09 Super Crew did great!! Had enough power on the hills that I was gaining speed up the mountains instead of slowing down. I averaged around 8 to 9 MPG. Just giving you an update. Take care.
How much weight were you pulling ? 8-9 MPG dont sound too bad for that area.

2006 Dodge laramie 5.9 CTD
northstarfire0693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #50

Thanks for the update, redtang02.

It's good to hear that the F150 with the MTP is performing as well as expected.

I finally saw one first hand the other day. You can really tell a difference looking at one up close. I was impressed.

The first thing I look for is that 4th leaf spring, where as the F150 with the regular tow package has three.

Continued good luck with yours and keep us posted.