Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #1

Electric bicycles?

Anyone tried or own one of these? Am thinking this might be a transportation option for my poor old tired legs.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

Yep we have they are expensive but the Pedego is THE way to go. DW was skeptical until we went to a dealer and rented 2 bikes for a "Picnic date" they offered.

She was on the bike for @ 2 blocks and it sold itself to her!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
Anyone tried or own one of these? Am thinking this might be a transportation option for my poor old tired legs.
They are great, but there is much controversy about where they can be ridden. The basic question is, how much power makes them motorized? I have a relative with an Outlaw capable of 28MPH. There are ebikes out there with 6 HP capable of over 50MPH. I just think it will take all the municipal agencies a LONG time to figure out what you can ride and where.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

We've had our Currie IZip E3 Dash bikes for about a year and a half, and we still can't believe how much fun they are. We bought extra batteries. We could ride 20-25 miles on a charge, pedal assisted, but now we can easily do 40-45 mile tours.

We installed a 2" receiver hitch with special welding to the frame for a bike rack on the back of the 5-er. Check this forum for a ton of good reading on the extra weight of a bike rack and make sure your rig is capable. Electric bikes are heavy. We found a Kuat rack enables a tighter fit, and we strap them tight to minimize bounce. We put them in bike bags, lock them up and they are with us on every trip.

Check out Electric Bike Reviews & Ratings - ElectricBikeReview.com for helpful reviews. There are a lot of choices out there. Enjoy!
NeedMoreLeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
They are great, but there is much controversy about where they can be ridden. The basic question is, how much power makes them motorized? I have a relative with an Outlaw capable of 28MPH. There are ebikes out there with 6 HP capable of over 50MPH. I just think it will take all the municipal agencies a LONG time to figure out what you can ride and where.
The Pedego's Max out at 20MPH (for just that statutory reason). We chatted with the Pedego shop owner about this issue and she said that the Pedego is made as a assistive e-bike. In fact, there are 5 levels of pedal assist (which is great for hills!) You can, if you like, let the electric motor do all the work and you just sit on the bike. With the large 48V15A battery, you should be able to travel 30 miles minimum (60 is the max) - it all varies based on what is being carried on the bike and the terrain (hilly or flat).
Old 06-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreLeisureTime View Post
We've had our Currie IZip E3 Dash bikes for about a year and a half, and we still can't believe how much fun they are. We bought extra batteries. We could ride 20-25 miles on a charge, pedal assisted, but now we can easily do 40-45 mile tours.

We installed a 2" receiver hitch with special welding to the frame for a bike rack on the back of the 5-er. Check this forum for a ton of good reading on the extra weight of a bike rack and make sure your rig is capable. Electric bikes are heavy. We found a Kuat rack enables a tighter fit, and we strap them tight to minimize bounce. We put them in bike bags, lock them up and they are with us on every trip.

Check out Electric Bike Reviews & Ratings - ElectricBikeReview.com for helpful reviews. There are a lot of choices out there. Enjoy!
Now this is JUST the info I was looking for - THANKS!

The Cardinal we are planning on upgrading to can be purchased with a optional "Bike Rack" however, I have yet to be able to find out the receiver size!

I read in another thread that the Thule folding rack (specifically designed for e-bikes) might bounce too much and break

That's the last thing you want to happen! How much do your bikes weigh (each)? The Pedego weighs in at @ 40 lbs each without the battery.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The Pedego's Max out at 20MPH (for just that statutory reason). We chatted with the Pedego shop owner about this issue and she said that the Pedego is made as a assistive e-bike. In fact, there are 5 levels of pedal assist (which is great for hills!) You can, if you like, let the electric motor do all the work and you just sit on the bike. With the large 48V15A battery, you should be able to travel 30 miles minimum (60 is the max) - it all varies based on what is being carried on the bike and the terrain (hilly or flat).
All true right now. My thought/fear is that there will be changes coming based on the (not) new technology that is becoming more widespread. When I was a kid I could skateboard anywhere without a helmet and no one knew what a bike helmet was if they existed at all. But in the new nanny state we live in you obviously cannot count on things remaining constant.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Now this is JUST the info I was looking for - THANKS!

The Cardinal we are planning on upgrading to can be purchased with a optional "Bike Rack" however, I have yet to be able to find out the receiver size!

I read in another thread that the Thule folding rack (specifically designed for e-bikes) might bounce too much and break

That's the last thing you want to happen! How much do your bikes weigh (each)? The Pedego weighs in at @ 40 lbs each without the battery.
Ours weigh 42 lbs without the 7 lb battery.

Here's a couple of pics of the mount. One shows that we had a 2" receiver welded on above the bumper. We chose that height since the bike frame sticks out enough from the back I didn't want to scrape it on a steep driveway.

There were other welds and braces to the frame (not shown), not just onto the bumper...for the extra weight and bounce concerns.

The second pic shows a post (an extension to the spare tire mount) we had welded on so that we can run a strap from that post to the ladder to reduce the bounce and shake. Works well.

Rather than worry about MaddMaxx' concerns about e-bike police, I just worry about going too fast around other cars and people. Gotta slow down and be smart; use a little caution on roads and trails. Drivers, pedestrians and pets aren't used to a bike going 20 mph. A good set of bright lights and a loud bell are important.

With a good rack and panniers, we use them to run from the campground to the store and other errands.

One other mod, just for comfort, a suspension seat post. This 60 year old butt really appreciates it. Seatposts Also check out Home | Cirrus Cycles | Bodyfloat | Isolation Seat Post | Body Suspension System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	80267   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	80268  
Old 06-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

Our Wildcat has the optional folding rack on the back. It has a weight limit of 250#'s. That should handle the bike(s) and the rear camera will keep a watch on them as you roll down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #10

Wife and I are 71. Purchased 2 Prodeco Stride 250 bikes a couple of years ago. Seat too high for wife, so later purchased a Prodeco Mariner 7 for her, so feet could touch the ground on all occasions. After about a year, she decided she was more comfortable on the Stride 250. Have grandchildren that enjoy the Mariner.
About 3 years ago we decided we had to get our weight under control. We were 250 and 200. We purchased a total of 4 pedal only bikes before going to the Prodeco's. Problem with pedal power only was that we were always afraid of getting to a place that we did not have the strength to return from, and hence failed to use them regularly. The Prodeco's solved that problem as battery power will always bring you back from wherever you pedal. That, and a careful choice of foods, we've both shed 50 lbs over the last 2 years.
As for the hitches, bikes weigh about 45 lbs without the batteries. We have used the Swagman XTC carriers on the rear of our class C, and on a receiver welded to our 5th wheel pin box. Probably around 5k miles on them. I fabricated a hitch tube that allows me to mount 4 bikes using the Swagman XTC superstructure.
Prodeco bikes are well built, but not without defects. Prodeco is responsive, but I've received the wrong parts more often that the right ones.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

Thanks NeedMoreLeisureTime.

I got a answer from my Pedego retailer about the Thule Rack. She said that since the bike rack is so far back from the axels that there is a lot of bounce that is amplified by the frame flexing as you move down the road. Thule does not recommend using their bike racks on a RV

So now we are exploring alternatives. Anybody have any experience with a front mounted bike rack (i.e. have a receiver welded to the front of the TV and put your bike rack there. Added advantage is you always see your bike - potential disadvantage is lessened road visibility? I don't know -- looking for advice.

RubberNail - we are "only" 60, but share your concerns for our elder years - the big reason we are opting for e-bikes. The Pedego has a great feature they call "peddle assist" in which the electric motor kicks in, in varying degrees of assist, when you peddle. There are 6 levels from No assist to full assist. In the minimal assist mode, the motor is available to help you up steep hills but does not engage when you are peddling on flat or slight inclines; thus you get you bike exercise. This feature alone sold us on the Pedego!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #12

Just a quick note on the bike racks. The Swagman XTC is made FOR RV use. If you elect to go with the front mount, I strongly suggest you look at attaching a 2" receiver (weld or bolt) to the front and then adapt the Swagman, or other hitch mount carrier, to the receiver. I've done this a couple of times with 5th wheel pin boxes and it works well. Also allows for other receiver hitch mounted items.
I doubt you will find a bike rack rated for 2 45# bikes on an RV. I didn't. Most are 35# on a passenger vehicle. When I make a long trip over really bad roads (live in Louisiana, so have PLENTY of those) I strap the ends of the Swagman wheel bars to the top of the upright clamping bar to create a "truss" and that will more than do the job. Don't think I need it, but makes me feel better. Also, being a retired structural engineer, gives me some sense of satisfaction knowing there's still application for my trade.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
Just a quick note on the bike racks. The Swagman XTC is made FOR RV use. If you elect to go with the front mount, I strongly suggest you look at attaching a 2" receiver (weld or bolt) to the front and then adapt the Swagman, or other hitch mount carrier, to the receiver. I've done this a couple of times with 5th wheel pin boxes and it works well. Also allows for other receiver hitch mounted items.
I doubt you will find a bike rack rated for 2 45# bikes on an RV. I didn't. Most are 35# on a passenger vehicle. When I make a long trip over really bad roads (live in Louisiana, so have PLENTY of those) I strap the ends of the Swagman wheel bars to the top of the upright clamping bar to create a "truss" and that will more than do the job. Don't think I need it, but makes me feel better. Also, being a retired structural engineer, gives me some sense of satisfaction knowing there's still application for my trade.
Thanks Rubbernail!

I have a question in to Swagman to confirm if the XTC will work on our 5er. Will let you know on this thread what they say.

I am beginning to think that the solution others have done (carry the bikes inside the 5er may be the better solution.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #14

HSVBamaBob, I know what you're going through. We looked at a front hitch - expensive to weld and the bikes would block the view. We looked at storing them in the 5-er. Our floor plan just didn't offer any good spaces.

I was so excited to see that they could fit between the 5th wheel hitch and the cab when I loaded them just right ... um, er, until the first tight turn I made on that trip. You should have heard the bang that went off when a handlebar got pushed right through our back window just 10 miles into our trip! Sounded like a shotgun. Luckily, no damage to the front of the 5-er, but a big hit on my ego. A little duct tape and cardboard, and a very understanding wife, and we were on our way to Utah for 3 weeks. You know what they say, live and learn, and learn, and learn...

We looked at racks a lot too. The Kuat we selected is rated for two sixty lb bikes, 120 lbs total. And it's got a cam that you can use to tighten the fit to the 2" receiver. Our local RV repair shop has an experienced welder on staff, and we crawled around a bunch to look at the frame and measure before he came up with a solution. Ultimately, even with the loading, I'm not concerned about too much torque or stress on the I-beams of the 5-er frame.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Sorry. Did not realize yours is a 5th wheel. We have a Sunseeker 2300 class "C" and a Montana 2955 5th wheel. On the 5th, welded a 2" receiver to the top of the pin box. Then made a 2" (2x2x3/16 tubing) to fit into the receiver. Then put the upper portion of the Swagman XC Tow Mount ($130 from Camping World) on that tube. Makes everything removable except the welded receiver, plus can move the carrier over to back of truck and carry bikes on side trips. ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT. The carrier mounted on the pin box will have VERY LITTLE dynamic loads, as compared to a bumper mount. Almost none. Main thing is to check that the 2" tubing that mounts to the receiver will end up putting your rack ABOVE the top of the truck cab, so no damage making tight turns. Remember to allow for possible downward tilt of the 5th wheel when making turns. I carry 2 Prodeco Strides on the arrangement with NO problems -- except to lift them up there and get them down. For that I use a 8' section of NDS drainage channel, purchased from Lowes, about $50, roll the bikes up onto tool box/auxiliary fuel tank and lift from there.
Hope that helps. Give a shout if questions.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

Rubbernail - it sounds like you have almost a identical setup as wel will have on our 5th wheel!

We are going to have a 'Fuelbox' Aux tank/tool box installed in our 8' Dodge Dually bed.

If you have them, It would be really helpful if you could upload photos of :
* The bike rack adapter on the pinbox
* The bike rack loaded with your bikes (and ready for the road)
* Loading your bikes on the bike rack via the NDS drainage channel

Finally, where do you store the NDS?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #17

Thanks for the thoughtful post NeedMoreLeisureTime!

Between the hitch and the cab is out for us (we are getting a toolbox/aux fuel tank installed).

Now, back to mounting on the back of the 5er...This is good to hear! I will look into the Kuat Rack. Even though the Thule "E-bike" rack is "rated" to carry 2 Pedegos (that's a combined weight of @ 105#) the Thule rep told our Pedaego dealer that he did not recommend RV mounting. Hopefully this will not be the case with the Kuat!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #18

Okay. One minor "white lie". I did not weld the receiver to the pin box. Would if did it over. Instead I made a bridle frame to accomplish same thing. Thought might trade, and wanted to keep bike rig. I'll try to upload the pictures here. Assuming successful, what you will see is:
1. Bike rack mounted on 2" tube, which sets inside a 2" receiver. Receiver is welded to a bridle frame over the pin box. Also, a gasoline boat tank that serves my on-board Onan 5500.
2. In one of the pictures you will see a GMC HD2500 Duramax with rooftop mounting trays for 4 more bikes. We take grandkids when we can.

Sorry, wet outside and not up to putting the bikes on the rack right now.

This rig travels with NO PROBLEMS. I made a wooden version of this before welding up the frame. Critical items are getting the bikes up over the cab, and making sure the handlebars and pedals clear the front cap. Like I said, would weld the receiver to the pin box if had a do-over, and have seen that on another rig. Oh, the channel comes in 10' sections. Cut to 8' so I could carry in 5th front pass-thru compartment. Put a small alum angle (4" lg) on one end to keep from sliding off the truck fender when loading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02070.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	80384   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02071.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	80385   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02072.jpg
Views:	166