Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #41

I'm a big fan of cooking outside. Don't like cleaning up the,mess..lol. I also have to have my coffee perked in a porcelain pot. So I use the NuWave induction cooktop outside. Coffee, bacon, eggs, pasta. Cook anything on it. Only thing is you have to use stainless steel pots.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #42

We use a convection toaster oven with rotisserie, an induction plate, tassimo coffe maker, crock pot, barbecue. We are full timers & are in the States for 6 months & Canada for 6. These appliances cover all our needs. Do not use 5 th wheel oven or stove top unless we are over night dry camping but with the generator are still able to use are other appliances
Idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #43

Love my towel warmer

I know, I know...this is a totally frivolous item, but I have one at home and I am spoiled rotten. Even when it's hot out and the camper is nice and chilly inside, I love my warm towels. yep....I'm letting my tiara sparkle here....

The Personal Towel Warmer - Hammacher Schlemmer

Oh...and on a chilly night, I put my pj's in it. ahhhhhhhhhh.....

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #44

I have the husband who allows basically nothing - "where do you think you are going to put that stuff"!! These are the things we use, cast iron skillet, coffee pot, toaster, waffle iron, electric fry pan (hardly ever use it), crock pot (hardly ever use that, either). But the number one thing that we love is our 10" dutch oven. When we're in the right campground, we love dutch oven breakfast, dutch oven dinners and cobbler in the dutch oven - we are both Boy Scouts, and that's how we learned to cook. Even though we have a fancy, wancy RV (glamping, we enjoy old fashioned dutch oven cooking.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #45

I have the husband who allows basically nothing - "where do you think you are going to put that stuff"!! These are the things we use, cast iron skillet, coffee pot, toaster, waffle iron, electric fry pan (hardly ever use it), crock pot (hardly ever use that, either). But the number one thing that we love is our 10" dutch oven. When we're in the right campground, we love dutch oven breakfast, dutch oven dinners and cobbler in the dutch oven - we are both Boy Scouts, and that's how we learned to cook. Even though we have a fancy, wancy RV (glamping,) we enjoy old fashioned dutch oven cooking.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #46

We just did our first outing in our new trailer and are trying to figure out what we can run on 30 amps and what we can not run. Found out that we could not have air conditioning and crock pot going at the same time. Also, can not have air conditioning and microwave running. Coffee maker, toaster, tv, lights, and ac worked fine together.
2015 Chevy Silverado

MichelleWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #47

We got our first TT last year and according to your recommendations, we've done pretty well. We have a few pots (skillet, 8qt dutch oven and smaller soup pot. We don't have an oven in the TT so a small toaster oven is a good substitution. Keurig single serve for hubby and an ice maker for me. I think I will also add a medium sized crockpot and elec. skillet so i can fry without setting off the smoke detectors and stink up the place. i love this forum and appreciate everyone's suggestions.

2014 Wildwood x-lite 185br
towed by 2013 Ram 1500
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I am concerned about power management. Figure we will learn as we go along. Have downloaded the amp usage spreadsheet posted by Turbs so we can judge.
Any questions just ask away! I also forgot Pie Irons!! For Campfire Sammys and desserts... yummy..Not electric but old fashioned fun.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #49

We have switched from gas to all electric. A microwave/convection oven and an induction cooking surface. It is stunning how much these save on propane as well as the excessive heat produced by gas surface burners and gas ovens. The only gas appliance is the water heater.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #50

Slow cooker for cooking dinner while you're out doing whatever.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #51

electric skillet etc

We purchased a portable induction cooktop @ Costco(Canada), which is similar to the Nuwave. My wife isn't (yet) fully convinced, but with fine temperature and cooking time control, my plan is to evantually get ride of the coffee maker, electric skillet, slow cooker we have a standard size one, but will instead use a smaller pot in the induction). If needed, I'll eventually get a 2nd induction unit, and use it outside as well via an extension from the power post. We are slowly bulding a supply of induction suitable cooking ware, the most recent of which is one with something like a melted stone covering, which so far has been GREAT for cleanup, and appears to be quite durable. I forget the brand name, but it is from Europe I think, and they sell both regular and induction suitable models.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #52

Quote:
Getting ready for our first outing in our new to us Sunseeker 3170ds for a 3 week trip and was considering which pots, pans, electric or otherwise that that experienced travelers have in their gear and how you use and store them for travel. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

A cast iron grill, coffee pot and crock pot. Does your unit have a microwave? A Coleman style stove or grill with a spare 20 pound tank for outside cooking. A standard set of pots and pans. Even though I like cast iron aluminum are cheaper and lighter for the trailer. You may want a toaster. This should cover your "must haves".

Think about what you have at home and how often you use it. For example, I have a toaster oven but rarely use it so don't need one in my trailer. A small microwave is a different story, use one almost every day.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I am concerned about power management. Figure we will learn as we go along. Have downloaded the amp usage spreadsheet posted by Turbs so we can judge.
Hi, new to forum and to camping. Could you tell me where you found Turbs amp usage spreadsheet? Thanks
Ronsdutchexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #54

Non-Electric

On the flip side, we prefer gas cooking -- always have, always will. We, too, don't like cooking meat or anything pungent inside our RV, so bought a propane cookstove and burner to hook up outside.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
On the flip side, we prefer gas cooking -- always have, always will. We, too, don't like cooking meat or anything pungent inside our RV, so bought a propane cookstove and burner to hook up outside.
Being single I do a lot of cooking frozen meals in the microwave. Either that or on the grill or a 2 burner propane stove outside. Don't think the oven inside has ever been used (bought my trailer used) and doubt if I will ever use it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Getting ready for our first outing in our new to us Sunseeker 3170ds for a 3 week trip and was considering which pots, pans, electric or otherwise that that experienced travelers have in their gear and how you use and store them for travel. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Before heading out for 3 weeks in a new camper, I would suggest driveway camping or a local campground to find out what accessories and tools you need.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #57
Cyber Phrenologist

We tend to carry over our minimalist mentality from our backpacking days. So I showed my wife this thread.

Me: "Look at all the stuff these people are dragging around with them"
Her: "Like what?"
Me: "All kinds of stuff, waffle irons, electric skillets, deep fryers, toaster ovens, blenders, ice makers, margarita machines, egg beaters, crock-pots..."
Her: "I want a crock-pot"
Me: (silence....) Really? (Had the trailer for 8 years, now she wants a crock pot)
Her: Big enough to get a chicken in"
Me: "Under $20"
Her: "OK"

So on the way home from church we will stop at Walmart and get one of these.

Crock-Pot 4-Quart Slow Cooker, Black - Walmart.com

To add to our toaster and 5 cup coffee maker. I'll tell you, this RV life is making us soft.
Attached Images

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #58

Love that crack pot, I mean crock pot. We borrow one when we get where we're going. Otherwise it's toaster and coffee maker. I'm not counting the washer/dryer.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #59

Just a thought - I got a George Foreman 360 electric. You can use it to grill and make waffles, paninis, pancakes; plus you can bake a pizza in it. I'm going to try it out as a biscuit baker but haven't gotten to that yet. AND, you really need a pizza stone for your oven if your going to bake - it evens out the oven temp helping to prevent burnt bottom syndrome.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #60
Cyber Phrenologist

I found a chart on how much power (in watts) all these things draw and attached it to this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post893395

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric