Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #1

Electric Water Heaters

Hello everyone; very informative forum you have here!

I have a question: I recently stumbled onto a great deal on a never-used 2006 39' Salem PT. After delivering it to my seasonal site, I learned that it was equipt with a 20 gallon electric water heater (the dealer, who knew little about the unit--it was a consignment sale) had told me it was a DSI gas/electric combo model.

Here is my dilema: My park forbids electric water heaters. Why is this? Power consumption?

I have a 30 amp site... what have I gotten myself into? (they don't--and hopefully won't--know about the water heater).
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #2

your camp ground should allow you to run your heater off the gas , they don't want the extra expense for the electric. And they will know if you use your heater by the amount of juice it uses. Just run it off your gas and you will be fine. I always use gas for my heater. I have no issue with it, yes I may pay for the gas but reaaly , it does go a long way, at least for us, we have a family of 4 .Good luck and happy camping!
2004 Chev.Avalanche
Stelrs59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

Can you go back to the dealer and explain the problem. Maybe he will swap it out for a gas heater.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Since it's a park model it's an electric only. The reason they forbid (What a strong word) electric water heaters is the amount of electricity they consume. If you leave it on all the time they probably will be able to figure out you have it. Even just walking around the unit will reveal the fact that you don't have a gas model (no access door for the burner).

I wonder if they would allow you to use the electric water heater if you were willing to pay for the extra electric it uses? Some places charge for electric usage above a certain amount.

The question is, what's the punishment for using it?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBassets View Post

I have a question: I recently stumbled onto a great deal on a never-used 2006 39' Salem PT. After delivering it to my seasonal site, I learned that it was equipt with a 20 gallon electric water heater (the dealer, who knew little about the unit--it was a consignment sale) had told me it was a DSI gas/electric combo model.

Here is my dilema: My park forbids electric water heaters. Why is this? Power consumption?

I have a 30 amp site... what have I gotten myself into? (they don't--and hopefully won't--know about the water heater).
Do you have 2 AC units? You then will have the issue of only running one at a time. I would believe the rating for your unit is 50 amps since you have such a large water heater. Check your cord if there's 4 prongs sticking out you have 50 amps and if there's only 3 prongs sticking out it's 30 amp. You'll need to have an adapter similar to this.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/24497

Specs for Salem PT
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...alemPT&nav=rec

Based on the specs, you have a 50 amp requirement for your unit. You might ask if there's any other sites that have 50 amps if you want to use everything.
Usually DSI stands for Direct Spark Ignition meaning no standing pilot. Is that water heater propane as well? The picture on FR website doesn't show much.

I now see that FR offers a 10gallon Gas/Electric Water Heater in place of the 20 gallon electric.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

I called Forest River today and gave them my VIN; the guy told me it's electric only.

The trailer does have a 50 amp cord; I have used a 30amp step-down pigtail as my site is 30amp (has a 30 amp outlet and two regular 15amp outlets. Each site has it's own meter).

My trailer only has one AC unit. I plan on only running the heater when I am actually down the campground, and plan on disconnecting the trailer when we aren't there.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelrs59 View Post
Just run it off your gas and you will be fine. I always use gas for my heater. I have no issue with it, yes I may pay for the gas but reaaly , it does go a long way, at least for us, we have a family of 4 .Good luck and happy camping!
Can't. The 20 gallon unit in my trailer is electric only. Hopefully, since you are saying the propane version is efficient, the electric will be, as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
Can you go back to the dealer and explain the problem. Maybe he will swap it out for a gas heater.
HAHAHAH. I doubt it. It was a consignment sale. It had been sitting on their lot for 2 1/2 years...the original owners bought it and never even picked it up, hence the great deal for me. It's a brand-new 2006 unit.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBassets View Post

I would check your states (or the state where the trailer will be parked) laws concerning power usage in RV parks. This issue was the subject of a recent article I believe was written up in the FMCA magazine we get. Long and short they cant forbid you to use electricty you are paying for in your "fees" Some states regulate that a campground or trailer park can only charge for the actual amount used where others can charge a fixed fee for a month. I think what they are doing may be illegal, check the laws. Further more some states (like here in Washington) can only charge at their cost, ie. they can't make a profit on the sale of the electricity.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote