Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Firemaker

Electrical issues (or just stupid)

I plugged my Georgetown into a 220 outlet. From reading on here I guess I'm not the first to make this mistake and probably won't be the last. There should be a big red sticker that yells STOP! I mean you can plug it into 220 as there is an adapter that comes with it and who would think that a 50 amp service was just 110? My question is this - I obviously fried the inverter, 1 TV (even though it was turned off) the refrigerator and microwave, but is there a way to bypass the inverter so I can get shore power to the rest of the RV? I can not get it in to the shop until Wednesday.
Firemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemaker View Post
I plugged my Georgetown into a 220 outlet. From reading on here I guess I'm not the first to make this mistake and probably won't be the last. There should be a big red sticker that yells STOP! I mean you can plug it into 220 as there is an adapter that comes with it and who would think that a 50 amp service was just 110? My question is this - I obviously fried the inverter, 1 TV (even though it was turned off) the refrigerator and microwave, but is there a way to bypass the inverter so I can get shore power to the rest of the RV? I can not get it in to the shop until Wednesday.
Firemaker, it may not be as bad as you think, especially if you have a 50 amp RV. Exactly what did you plug into that was 220/240 volts?

A 50 amp RV outlet is just a standard split-phase 120/240 volt outlet (like welding machines and other stuff uses), which consists of TWO 120 volt hot lines. Your RV just uses each one of these 120 volt lines separate inside your RV and doesn't combine them to get 240 volts. You just have 50 amps per 120 volt hot line.

It's usually only people who plug their 30 amp RV's into a 30 amp 240 volt outlet (instead of 120 volt) OR people who use an adapter to plug their 50 amp RV into the same 30 amp 240 volt outlet..that fry their trailers.

Did you use an adapter to allow you to plug your RV into a 30 amp 220/240 volt outlet (instead of a 110/120 volt outlet)? If so, then you did shoot 240 volts across both hot lines. If you didn't use an adapter, you probably didn't shoot 240 volts across each line in your RV....and may have another problem.

This link may help:

http://www.rvcruzer.com/electrical/chapter3.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Firemaker

I used the cord that came with the RV and plugged it into a 220/240 30 amp outlet. This is at a house not a campground.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Just where did you plug it into? Dryer, hot tub outlet? Have you unpluged your unit and tryed to run things off you generator to see what may have blown, did any circuit breakers trip? Have you reset the breaker on the inverter? Just a suggestions
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
I used the cord that came with the RV and plugged it into a 220/240 30 amp outlet. This is at a house not a campground.
Is your RV a 30 amp or 50 amp? Does the power cord have 3 prongs or 4 prongs?

When you say cord that came with the RV, do you mean an adapter cord (that goes from a 50 amp 4 prong to 30 amp 3 prong).

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Firemaker

No3putt, I plugged it into what was a hot tub outlet, and yes the breakers were tripped on the TV, fridge and microwave. They do not work with the generator. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Firemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Is your RV a 30 amp or 50 amp? Does the power cord have 3 prongs or 4 prongs? When you say cord that came with the RV, do you mean an adapter cord (that goes from a 50 amp 4 prong to 30 amp 3 prong).
My RV is a 50 amp. Yes I guess I meant adapter. It came with a long cord that has a 50 amp 4 prong and also came with an adapter that takes it to a 30 amp 3 prong and a smaller one that allows you to plug into 110/120
Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
My RV is a 50 amp. Yes I guess I meant adapter. It came with a long cord that has a 50 amp 4 prong and also came with an adapter that takes it to a 30 amp 3 prong and a smaller one that allows you to plug into 110/120
Ok. Well, that's the bad case scenario.

I placed a PM to another member who had this happen to them, to see if they can help out some. They can explain first hand what all they had to do to fix their travel trailer...which may be the same in your motorhome.

Each RV can be unique with what all is damaged in these mishaps. Sometimes it's just the converter.....but can go all the way up to messing up even air-conditioners. Typically, you lose the converter, microwave, and television.

It's one of those live and learn kind of things, so no need to knock yourself up about it. It happens.

I know it's hindsight now, but this can be a learning lesson for others who may read this later on. Investing in a good $300-400 surge protector can keep things like this from happening.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...es+surge+guard

Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Yes the adapters are the problem.

Any 4 prong 50 amp plug wired correctly will not damage a 50A RV as there will always be a neutral and ground there.

Hot tubs would normally not require a neutral as they derive their own from an on-board transformer, so you only need 3 prongs, 2 hot's and a ground.

I recommend testing your supply any time you use an adapter.

Sorry for your loss..
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I recommend testing your supply any time you use an adapter. Sorry for your loss..
Note that a Progressive Industries EMS unit would have prevented this tragedy.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Note that a Progressive Industries EMS unit would have prevented this tragedy.

So would a DVM if used properly.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
So would a DVM if used properly.
If we knew their was something we needed to check/avoid we'd never have any problems. An EMS unit protects you against the things that you didn't know could hurt you (all those things that experience has taught lots of other people so you don't have to have all of their knowledge/experience).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Firemaker, give me a sec and I'll post my experiences. I feel for you! I did the same thing.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks WMTire for letting me know. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I've been trouble shooting brake issues somewhere that is about to drive me insane.

Firemaker,
I took my brand spanking new Sabre 5th wheel to Alabama over Easter weekend to visit my Dad. Dad had a 30AMP (3 Prong) outlet attached to a pole on his property. I hadn't seen Dad in over 2 years. I was excited to show him my new toy and anxious to get it set up and visit with him. I asked him, "Dad, that outlet is 120V right?" His response was "Son, there is no way for that outlet to be wired for 120V's it has to be 220. So, in the back of my mind, I thought he was wrong, but for the sake of trying to be right, and not wanting to argue, and really not being to sure myself, I took my 50AMP Shore power cord, plugged the 30Amp adapter to it and right into the outlet on the pole. The breaker inside immediately tripped. I unplugged from the pole and went inside to reset the breaker. No TV, No Microwave, No Fireplace. All three were toast. I was devastated.....literally. My DW was upset, Dad was upset and all I could see was more money getting ready to be spent. I was over 300 miles from home and had 2 nights to sit there and think about it. If is weren't for the good people on here, I don't know what I would have done.
Bottom line, is I didn't really know what the RV should have been plugged into. It really isn't the dealers fault. I don't even think I asked that question during the PDI. I never really understood how the RV could be wired the way it is and have since, learned. Too bad it was an expensive lesson.
I eventually found out my converter was shot as well. I didn't realize that while I visited. I used a regular extension cord to a 120V outlet and ran the lights and heater. I realized the converter was shot when I attempted to pull my slides in after the RV sat for about a week. Once I hooked to my TV, I had enough power to pull the slides in and head to Myrtle Beach. Later that night, I went to Wal Mart and purchased another battery and used a battery charger to charge one battery while I used the other. After that trip, I had the converter replaced. It was shot. None of the fuses blew, it totally fired all the equipment. TV was replaced. New Microwave, Fire place circuit bourd was replaced it works well. And the converter was replaced. All is well now. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and know it is very frustrating. Hope my stupidity makes you feel better. Welcome to the forum.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Firemaker

Thanks to y'all , I pretty much know what I will hear when I take it in on Tuesday. I am not looking forward to it.
I wish there was a way that I could let all new owners about this.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #16

insurance may cover it. Had a friend who did this and his cover damage.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #17
Firemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
insurance may cover it. Had a friend who did this and his cover damage.
Man I hope they do!
Thanks