Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Electrical Shock!!!

Hello all!

So I just took delivery of a used 05 Sandpiper F37 and I was climbing around on and under to inspect - but when I was on the ground (the unit was plugged in to 110v) I touched the camper and feel quite an electrical shock.

I know the answer (find the short) but I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience or found the solution faster than tracing down every last 110v wire.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated!! I would hate to be running the fuel station and have an arc.
__________________

__________________
'05 RAM 3500
'05 Sandpiper
'and as many toys and I can get in the F37!
Lovell's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
RAC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,097
Has it rained recently? Check the seal of the plug in for water.....more than likely since you got shocked away from it, it is moving along moisture from the source.
__________________

__________________
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Justin, Tx
Posts: 2,671
Or it could be that your shore power source is not grounded properly. If it is at your house you may want to have your ground checked out. This is not an uncommon problem with houses.
__________________
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
No rain, nothing wet - I have a hunch that it is a grounding issue - it is hooked to the house. I might try to issolate that issue by using the generator and touching the camper again! That reminds me of how my Grandpa used to check to see if the tractor battery was good - he would just brush a wrench accross the two terminals.
__________________
'05 RAM 3500
'05 Sandpiper
'and as many toys and I can get in the F37!
Lovell's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
RAC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,097
Since you were under the trailer, the insulation of tank heaters takes a beating as well....
__________________
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
I don't have any tank heaters - but I think you are right! I noticed that the level check doesn't give correct readings on the levels of the tanks - I can't figure out why they don't do a better job wiring some harness or something to protect that area and wires - since that is something helpful to know how full your tanks are.
__________________
'05 RAM 3500
'05 Sandpiper
'and as many toys and I can get in the F37!
Lovell's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
RAC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,097
Especially if you happen to be sitting on the commode!
__________________
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
The Jolly Mon
 
NDJollyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ND...HELP!
Posts: 1,685
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
those sensors are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate.

Rule number one...never trust those gauges...
Number two...is probably what is stuck to them in the tank!
__________________
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
RAC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,097
Very quick wit Mr Jolly fireman.
__________________
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #10
The Jolly Mon
 
NDJollyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ND...HELP!
Posts: 1,685
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
...gotta stay on your toes around here....
__________________

__________________
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.